PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft BUILD - Windows 8 Unveiling

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Gregor976
09-14-11, 12:40 PM
Looks awesome for a phone or pad type computer and completely uninteresting for a PC.

nekrosoft13
09-14-11, 12:54 PM
incorrect. it'll sell like crazy cuz average dumb consumers will say "it's pretty!"

average consumer is dumb, but look at windows phones, so far its a failure. same will happen with windows 8.

mobile ui on desktop is just stupid. normal desktop ui being an app again is stupid. should be the other way around.

desktop should be standard, and if for some dumb reason you want to use that metro ****, you could launch it from start menu, just like its done with media center now.

Bearclaw
09-14-11, 12:57 PM
I'd like my Windows installs to be faster, but hey, who doesn't?

I was extremely surprise and happy with the install times of windows 7. 8 minute to load an OS and be in it. :D

tjohn
I'm running the 64 bit developer preview on my hp laptop right now. It's fast and clunky at the same time.

Redeemed
average consumer is dumb, but look at windows phones, so far its a failure. same will happen with windows 8.

mobile ui on desktop is just stupid. normal desktop ui being an app again is stupid. should be the other way around.

desktop should be standard, and if for some dumb reason you want to use that metro ****, you could launch it from start menu, just like its done with media center now.

No... with the increased sales in touch screen devices I'm thinking this will sell very well.

That said, I do agree with you regarding preferences.

zoomy942
09-14-11, 01:05 PM
It's like OSX Lion adding the Mission Control thing, making it like a touchscreen.

Ugh.

six_storm
09-14-11, 02:03 PM
By the looks of it, your right.

Sharing the same code base over different platforms is smart and makes sense. iOS is based on OS X. Android runs on different platforms and so on.

Sharing the same UI however is simply put a horrible idea. The first tablets used the normal desktop interface, that was a failure. Give it a great touch interface like Apple and Google did and they're a huge success!
Now their trying to force the tablet UI on the PC. It's bound to fail. There has to be an option for a classic desktop interface. Otherwise Windows 8 will fail at its biggest market segment.

Lion's iPad like features are implemented as an additional layer above the normal desktop UI. I tried to use them for a while but honestly those features are just not productive or down right useless.

This.

bacon12
09-14-11, 04:18 PM
I just don't see why all the hate? Seriously I believe this OS will dominate, and be on a 500 million devices before 24 months after release. Why integration. Desktop, laptop, phone, console. You get the idea, all talking to each other seamlessly.

mojoman0
09-14-11, 04:29 PM
i just think the hardcore users will never understand that this is closer to what the general user base needs

bacon12
09-14-11, 04:35 PM
Wanted to add

1. The new metro UI, while designed for touch, works equally as well with a mouse and keyboard.
2. No one is being forced to use the metro-style UI. If you want to use the classic desktop, you're free to do so (but you'll miss out on the new application paradigms introduced in Windows 8).

Also watch the keynote.

bacon12
09-14-11, 04:45 PM
That is possible with different UIs. The UI is the problem, not the integration.

Mr. MS here is of course happy with the new UI. Aren't you the one that just bought a Windows Phone? :rofl

Have you watched the keynote? I also have been using this UI for a very long time on my Zune HD. It isn't new.

. No one is being forced to use the metro-style UI. If you want to use the classic desktop, you're free to do so (but you'll miss out on the new application paradigms introduced in Windows 8).

Or you and everyone else can keep spreading foolishness. Windows 8 was demoed on 4 year old netbook with a 1st gen atom with a gig of ram. It used about 360mb and had only 30 some processes.

Its an amazing engineering feat that will benefit everyone, PC gamers included. Again you don't have to use Metro! You can use the classic DT.

I said this when it was first announced and all you chicken little's said no that is what you will get. I was proven right, and I will be right about this being a huge hit for MS. It makes the iPad, and Android look like a joke.

Sean_W
09-14-11, 06:02 PM
I just don't see why all the hate? Seriously I believe this OS will dominate, and be on a 500 million devices before 24 months after release. Why integration. Desktop, laptop, phone, console. You get the idea, all talking to each other seamlessly.

Hate? So we don't have the freedom to not like something now then?

bacon12
09-14-11, 06:14 PM
Its blind hate when none of you know wtf you are talking about.

Err that UI suxors for the dessstops.

MS is teh stupid.. Derp.

Sean_W
09-14-11, 06:21 PM
Learn to read dude and stop making assumptions about what you haven't read properly.

bacon12
09-14-11, 06:59 PM
Why don't you go back and re read the replies to this thread. What makes you think my reply had anything to do with just you?

Sean_W
09-14-11, 07:17 PM
Because you need to get used to the idea that people just don't like what they see. People don't like it, get over it, don't make them "haters".

bacon12
09-14-11, 07:22 PM
No people are saying that MS is forcing metro on them. It isn't true. How hard is it to understand that you can still use the classic DT.

nekrosoft13
09-14-11, 07:36 PM

integration is fine, but forcing (yes forcing) a failing UI unto people is just stupid, and I really hope this will turn out worse for MS then windows ME.

OS boots into metro, then you have to click on desktop to go back to normal UI, that is forcing.

ElL33t
09-14-11, 11:31 PM
After spending an hour on win8, I can honestly say I hate it. This is sad because I am easy to please.

ElL33t
09-15-11, 09:12 AM
I'm fine with it if I can set it up for a 100% classic Windows desktop experience. I followed their blog videos for a while and Windows 8 will bring great features to the PC as well. And I'm really looking forward to some of them, especially the Explorer enhancements.

I also don't think that the engineering behind this is bad. It's actually brilliant.
I'm not like you that thinks MS is great and Apple sucks. I'm open to both and use both (and more) every day. So don't pull the hater card here please.

I'll give the preview a go when I'm back home next week. Mainly to see if I can set it up to completely get around Metro. I don't want my desktop to be an App. What I want is to never see and use Metro.

The classic windows desktop is there. That new panel us is only there once you press the start button. Just think of it as a start button that takes over your whole screen.

Sean_W
09-15-11, 09:22 AM
Similar to how GNOME Shell on Linux works actually, accept the overview manages apps and windows. GNOME Shell is ideal for both touchscreens and keyboard, mouse.

bacon12
09-15-11, 09:24 AM
I have been saying that sh!t for three pages now, and even said you would have to be an idiot to think MS wouldn't have a classic desktop 6 months ago when it was first announced showing videos.

I also guarantee there will be a setting to forgo metro all together and only use the classic desktop. So MS will not force it on you.

Metro is nice for touch but I agree that I don't want it for my dt.

ElL33t
09-15-11, 10:09 AM
That is exactly NOT what I want ;) I know that the old desktop is still there. But I want it without any of that Metro garbage.

Yeah, I don't like it and don't want it either. Windows 7 is perfect. I will only upgrade if I have to.

nekrosoft13
09-15-11, 10:55 AM
That is exactly NOT what I want ;) I know that the old desktop is still there. But I want it without any of that Metro garbage.

metro is the worst UI i ever seen, even for tablet. out of apple/google/ms mobile OS/UI. Metro is the worse, no wonder its got a tiny market share.

Sean_W
09-15-11, 11:30 AM
Well yeah, just a bunch of multi-coloured squares with pictures on doesn't really look cool at all. Looks like a design from the XP days really.