PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft BUILD - Windows 8 Unveiling

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

bacon12
09-15-11, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I don't like it and don't want it either. Windows 7 is perfect. I will only upgrade if I have to.

I may decide that as well, but there may be some significant performance and optimization that would be worth it. Hopefully the current orb or something similar will come back in later builds.

Q
09-15-11, 11:42 AM
metro is the worst UI i ever seen, even for tablet. out of apple/google/ms mobile OS/UI. Metro is the worse, no wonder its got a tiny market share.

It's a taste thing. I was a big fan of the Zune HD and I like Metro on the tablet. I hope there are theme options.

At least MS is trying something different and not just cloning iOS like everyone else.

nekrosoft13
09-15-11, 12:07 PM
Microsoft Bob was also different, different is not always better.

ElL33t
09-15-11, 12:09 PM
I may decide that as well, but there may be some significant performance and optimization that would be worth it. Hopefully the current orb or something similar will come back in later builds.

Yeah, things might change and it may be a better OS than my one hour showed. It is hard to go to that from win7 though. Win 7 I could sit down and just go. It was great. It's solid, responsive and does what I want it to. The new one was just a preview build and very limited so it is hardly a fair shake I'm giving it.

bacon12
09-15-11, 12:12 PM
Totally I agree, win7 is the best OS I have ever used. I still have the same install on my gaming rig from day one of RTM. Installed/removed a ton of software, three different video cards and its still stable as can be.

ElL33t
09-15-11, 12:48 PM
Totally I agree, win7 is the best OS I have ever used. I still have the same install on my gaming rig from day one of RTM. Installed/removed a ton of software, three different video cards and its still stable as can be.

If win8 is basically win 7 with touch capability then it won't be bad. You can use metro as just a bunch of big shortcuts on your desktop. You don't need to have a billion panels on your start menu. You can just have the essentials and your games

Upon further thought it may be good. It does allow for 3rd party apps to put up on the panels. 3rd party programs on android is why we love it. This really is the same thing.

Some of you guys just cry to be crying. Bunch of fallopians. :lol:

Still, I'll stick with win 7 till win 8 is proven to be solid and functional.

ElL33t
09-15-11, 12:49 PM

There is NO comparison between this and MSBob. :lol: Don't be absurd.

nekrosoft13
09-15-11, 05:26 PM
Just an example different is not always better. Metro is a horrible ui especially on desktop.

Hogrider
09-15-11, 07:44 PM

NVNews Bob sucked harder though and that's always better.

Logical
09-15-11, 08:40 PM
integration is fine, but forcing (yes forcing) a failing UI unto people is just stupid, and I really hope this will turn out worse for MS then windows ME.

OS boots into metro, then you have to click on desktop to go back to normal UI, that is forcing.

Seems to me like its a gimmick OS with the touch screen features and metro panel, i have a feeling this wont be replacing win 7.

Rakeesh
09-16-11, 05:37 AM
By the looks of it, your right.

Sharing the same code base over different platforms is smart and makes sense. iOS is based on OS X. Android runs on different platforms and so on.

Sharing the same UI however is simply put a horrible idea. The first tablets used the normal desktop interface, that was a failure. Give it a great touch interface like Apple and Google did and they're a huge success!
Now their trying to force the tablet UI on the PC. It's bound to fail. There has to be an option for a classic desktop interface.

What are you talking about? That is EXACTLY what they're doing. Even the mobile versions of Windows 8 will have available a desktop that looks just like Windows 7.

Or you and everyone else can keep spreading foolishness. Windows 8 was demoed on 4 year old netbook with a 1st gen atom with a gig of ram. It used about 360mb and had only 30 some processes.

This is actually what I find interesting about Windows 8. They demonstrate that it will have all of the same features as Windows 7, plus some extras, while using less hard disk space and less RAM.

They made those optimizations for the express purpose of making it a more viable mobile OS, and I think that is a good thing since the OS will perform even better on high end systems.

integration is fine, but forcing (yes forcing) a failing UI unto people is just stupid, and I really hope this will turn out worse for MS then windows ME.

OS boots into metro, then you have to click on desktop to go back to normal UI, that is forcing.

I would imagine that could be easily changed; you don't even have to use explorer as the default UI in windows 7. Hell, some versions of 2008 R2 (the enterprise edition of windows 7) don't even include explorer by default.

ElL33t
09-16-11, 11:42 AM
What are you talking about? That is EXACTLY what they're doing. Even the mobile versions of Windows 8 will have available a desktop that looks just like Windows 7.

This is actually what I find interesting about Windows 8. They demonstrate that it will have all of the same features as Windows 7, plus some extras, while using less hard disk space and less RAM.

They made those optimizations for the express purpose of making it a more viable mobile OS, and I think that is a good thing since the OS will perform even better on high end systems.

I would imagine that could be easily changed; you don't even have to use explorer as the default UI in windows 7.

I welcome new ideas even if they don't work. It leads to new products out of failed products. I am not saying windows 8 will fail. I have no idea at this point. As it stands right now I did not like the preview build I played with. I know it is not a real good product to compare to the final. It may be that it was completely new to me and I didn't know my way around it. I hold an open mind though because I can see what it is capable of.

Most PC people are a bunch of Archie Bunkers.

mullet
09-16-11, 03:37 PM
I will not upgrade to win 8 I see no reason to.

ElL33t
09-16-11, 04:35 PM
Yeah with Windows 8 they're offering both interfaces on both tablets and PCs. I don't think that's smart. Those platforms are completely different, from the input method, over the target group to the tasks they're made for.

Otherwise you suddenly have two interfaces to maintain on the same platform. Plus it's confusing (tablet case) or annoying (pc case) for the user.

There is nothing to maintain. Have you used windows 8? It isn't two interfaces, it's one. The metro part is the start button. You can pull it back down at any time to see the desktop as you can in win7.

nekrosoft13
09-16-11, 04:35 PM
I will not upgrade to win 8 I see no reason to.

same here, i don't want to support this metro **** on desktop.

Sean_W
09-16-11, 05:07 PM
Basically, the start menu brings up the metro UI where you can do stuff. This idea is already what the one of the Linux desktop environments use. GNOME Shell replaces it's menu with an overview of windows and apps, which is pretty much what MS as done.

Not saying Microsoft are copying but well, it's on the same lines.

bacon12
09-16-11, 05:11 PM
There is nothing to maintain. Have you used windows 8? It isn't two interfaces, it's one. The metro part is the start button. You can pull it back down at any time to see the desktop as you can in win7.

Yes its actually an application for each UI. Metro or classic desktop. Run either or both.

I think performance increases will make this a worthy upgrade, but we will have to see once it gets out of development. We have heard news of being able to play xbox games nativity as well, but who knows how that will work out.

Hopefully there are lots of goodies that will be in 8 that will make us want to upgrade. You babies can whine till the sun don't shine about metro on DT. No one is making you use it including MS. So beat that drum till you go deaf no one is listening.

You really should learn about the platform before you speak foolishly.

Also wanted to add that MS confirmed no flash on Metro IE10 yesterday. Yes there will be two IE10's one for DT and one for Metro.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/09/metro-style-internet-explorer-10-ditches-flash-plugins.ars

Sean_W
09-16-11, 05:22 PM
So basically Microsoft have done an Apple like they did on their iphone and iPad. LOL, this just keeps getting better and better.

After supporting the plugin mess and even creating their own media plugins, they drop them all together in the metro UI. :rolleyes:

bacon12
09-16-11, 05:25 PM
It was the right decision when you consider battery life, and security/stability. Plus it will also make the transition to html 5 go so much faster. Which needs to happen. ;)

Silverlight was to be a more secure option to flash for MS, and it is. For protected streams it seems there is still an issue though, and no way to use HTML 5. :(

ElL33t
09-16-11, 05:38 PM
Yes its actually an application for each UI. Metro or classic desktop. Run either or both.

I think performance increases will make this a worthy upgrade, but we will have to see once it gets out of development. We have heard news of being able to play xbox games nativity as well, but who knows how that will work out.

Hopefully there are lots of goodies that will be in 8 that will make us want to upgrade. You babies can whine till the sun don't shine about metro on DT. No one is making you use it including MS. So beat that drum till you go deaf no one is listening.

You really should learn about the platform before you speak foolishly.

Also wanted to add that MS confirmed no flash on Metro IE10 yesterday. Yes there will be two IE10's one for DT and one for Metro.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/09/metro-style-internet-explorer-10-ditches-flash-plugins.ars

I didn't think what I said was foolish at all. I was just saying what I experienced. It felt like one UI with a expanded start menu.

mojoman0
09-16-11, 07:06 PM
Photos, Mail, People, Calendar, and Messaging Metro app demos

JYOA1k-nfJI&feature=player_embedded

nekrosoft13
09-16-11, 10:36 PM
Photos, Mail, People, Calendar, and Messaging Metro app demos

JYOA1k-nfJI&feature=player_embedded

simply horrible, windows with social bs integration, great, just ****ing great, when they finish the setup it will probably ask your for facebook acount.

Rakeesh
09-17-11, 04:25 AM
simply horrible, windows with social bs integration, great, just ****ing great, when they finish the setup it will probably ask your for facebook acount.

I pretty much agree with this. I just tried windows 8 in a VM and so far I really don't like it from a UI perspective. You have to register a live id account, and then the start menu is removed and replaced with metro, and then metro is littered with social media junk.

Why can't I just have a regular start menu? I really don't like how when I want to launch another program, I have to completely cover up my desktop, not only that but metro is really cumbersome compared to the nice compact classic start menu, and I find it really annoying that you can't manipulate any system settings without metro active.

From a technical perspective windows 8 is great though. A fresh install uses only 10GB, and even in a VM it boots fast, not to mention has a very tiny memory footprint, and some apps, such as the task manager, have been greatly improved.

Also, I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but copying files is FAST. MS has really optimized the crap out of how the OS buffers data for file copying, it even does a better job than linux does now. Not only that, but it has an option where you can see the transfer rate in real-time (no more highly inaccurate estimations that wildly vary.) It takes literally 1.5 seconds to copy a gigabyte file on my setup, and again, that is within a VM which is slower than running on a real system.

That would be awesome if these increased disk I/O speeds would affect games as well.

nekrosoft13
09-17-11, 11:50 AM
I pretty much agree with this. I just tried windows 8 in a VM and so far I really don't like it from a UI perspective. You have to register a live id account, and then the start menu is removed and replaced with metro, and then metro is littered with social media junk.

Why can't I just have a regular start menu? I really don't like how when I want to launch another program, I have to completely cover up my desktop, not only that but metro is really cumbersome compared to the nice compact classic start menu, and I find it really annoying that you can't manipulate any system settings without metro active.

From a technical perspective windows 8 is great though. A fresh install uses only 10GB, and even in a VM it boots fast, not to mention has a very tiny memory footprint, and some apps, such as the task manager, have been greatly improved.

Also, I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but copying files is FAST. MS has really optimized the crap out of how the OS buffers data for file copying, it even does a better job than linux does now. Not only that, but it has an option where you can see the transfer rate in real-time (no more highly inaccurate estimations that wildly vary.) It takes literally 1.5 seconds to copy a gigabyte file on my setup, and again, that is within a VM which is slower than running on a real system.

That would be awesome if these increased disk I/O speeds would affect games as well.

the bolded part i'm fine with it, but removing start menu and replacing it with that metro **** i'm not ok with it. Even on phone I can't stand metro, and it simply has no place on desktop.

current start menu is perfect, it only covers about 10% of screen, you can be reading someting online and opening start menu will not prevent you from doing what you were doing before.

Bearclaw
09-17-11, 12:48 PM
About to give it a go. Installing it on Vmware Workstation 8, now.