64bit OS --- check
64bit virtualpc --- check
64bit virtual os support --- nah

What vm would you recommend?

nekrosoft13
09-20-11, 11:47 AM
i was looking at this
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/faqs.html

haven't been paying attention to vm software latelly.

ElL33t
09-20-11, 12:07 PM
I can't even get the build to install. I want to use the 64bit version, but I'm getting a virtualization error. Seems fairly common, it's a problem with some bios where the build won't recognize a 64bit proc. I'll see how it goes with the new mobo I'm installing tonight. I'd really like to give this a try.

I use Virtual Box as well. I'll look at my settings when I get home. I used it to install Win 8. I had the same problem as you at first.

grey_1
09-20-11, 12:40 PM
I use Virtual Box as well. I'll look at my settings when I get home. I used it to install Win 8. I had the same problem as you at first.

64 bit version? Sounds great, thanks :)

grey_1
09-20-11, 12:41 PM
i was looking at this
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/faqs.html

haven't been paying attention to vm software latelly.

Thanks nekro

ElL33t
09-20-11, 12:48 PM
64 bit version? Sounds great, thanks :)

Yes 64bit

grey_1
09-20-11, 04:42 PM
Yes 64bit

Got it, thanks anyway :)

EDIT: Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Having a bit of trouble with screen rez, but it's pretty basic so far.

With such an early build they have to be planning to offer a switch to desktop for default on boot. I hope.

ElL33t
09-20-11, 08:16 PM
Got it, thanks anyway :)

EDIT: Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Having a bit of trouble with screen rez, but it's pretty basic so far.

With such an early build they have to be planning to offer a switch to desktop for default on boot. I hope.

WORD

grey_1
09-21-11, 06:52 AM
http://www.winrumors.com/windows-8-tips-and-tricks-for-mousekeyboard-users/

Thanks for this.

I've done my time with this for now. The under the hood changes may certainly be welcome, but the interface isn't for me. I don't want to have to pull anything down to 'glance at my desktop'....desktop is where everything happens for me, I want it up front.

This still being pre beta though I'll just wait to see where MS takes it. Hopefully metro will simply be relegated to an optional sidebar type app or it's own window like the control panel, anything that gives the option of not having to look at it - I don't want it, not at all.

So I stuck linux in my vm....just so I can feel sufficiently geeky. :lol:

Peoples-Agent
09-21-11, 11:44 AM
So you release your most stable, best version of Windows EVER in years of development in the form of Windows 7 to then scrap the lot and create an abomination.

I hope Windows 8 falls flat on it's face, it is horrendous. Good for tablets, nothing more.

ElL33t
09-21-11, 12:13 PM
Same here Grey. I don't like win 8. I can see the possibilities of it but I don't want to use it until it is seamless going from metro to desktop. I want my desktop to be my default, not metro taking over like a invading army out to rape my womenz and livestock.

Rakeesh
09-21-11, 12:21 PM
It's such a shame too because the backend improvements they made to windows 8 are just phenomenal.

grey_1
09-21-11, 12:34 PM
Well, it's such an early build yet - I'm hoping that by rc metro is given it's rightful place, which is an icon on the start menu at best imo.

I'll dl a later build in a few months and install it straight to hdd rather than in a vm and give it it's fair shake then. But there's nothing in this build but speed and memory management that makes me interested in leaving 7.

Meh - time will tell.

six_storm
09-21-11, 02:02 PM
I still haven't had a chance to test it out on my spare PC, but I'm really waiting until the beta or RC is available.

bacon12
09-21-11, 04:43 PM
Well, it's such an early build yet - I'm hoping that by rc metro is given it's rightful place, which is an icon on the start menu at best imo.

I'll dl a later build in a few months and install it straight to hdd rather than in a vm and give it it's fair shake then. But there's nothing in this build but speed and memory management that makes me interested in leaving 7.

Meh - time will tell.

I will be honestly shocked to not see a DT environment that looks like windows 7 when 8 RTM gets here.

grey_1
09-21-11, 04:57 PM
I will be honestly shocked to not see a DT environment that looks like windows 7 when 8 RTM gets here.

Yeah me too. Thing is I can't rally say Metro is a "bad" idea, given the popularity of social networking and everything else it involves, but put it somewhere easily accessible and out of sight, maybe even a removable feature via the Programs and Features panel.

I'd be good with that.

EDIT: It's actually not so bad once all the garbage is removed from Metro. There's still very little control over icon placement, none over background and appearance of metro - but if that comes it may not be to painful to get used to.
http://i.imgur.com/gLXTH.jpg

nekrosoft13
09-21-11, 06:17 PM
"start" menu that takes up entire screen, is just a horrible idea.

"given the popularity of social networking" and about that, that might be ok with some, but there are people that simply don't want to be part of it, and considering how many windows pc are used at companies, **** like metro and social networking has no place in work enviroment.

grey_1
09-21-11, 06:50 PM
"start" menu that takes up entire screen, is just a horrible idea.

"given the popularity of social networking" and about that, that might be ok with some, but there are people that simply don't want to be part of it, and considering how many windows pc are used at companies, **** like metro and social networking has no place in work enviroment.

You left out the other part.
but put it somewhere easily accessible and out of sight, maybe even a removable feature via the Programs and Features panel.

:D

Rakeesh
09-22-11, 02:23 AM

Well not entirely, social networking sites like LinkedIn are quite useful for businesses, and sales or otherwise customer facing people find a lot of use in the remainder of social networking media.

mullet
09-22-11, 06:13 AM
This is going to be Vista all over again. People will stay with windows 7 like they did with XP.

grey_1
09-22-11, 09:58 AM
This is going to be Vista all over again. People will stay with windows 7 like they did with XP.

I sure hope not. The upside is that if I stay with 7 I'm plenty happy with that.

bacon12
09-22-11, 05:28 PM
Vista wasn't that bad. Overblown discontent more like it, and that was only because MS changed the way drivers had to be written and everyone's system became unstable because of it. It was a bit piggy on resources, but not an issue for NVN members with our hardware.

Redeemed
09-22-11, 05:44 PM
Vista wasn't that bad. Overblown discontent more like it, and that was only because MS changed the way drivers had to be written and everyone's system became unstable because of it. It was a bit piggy on resources, but not an issue for NVN members with our hardware.

My thoughts regarding Vista as well.

nekrosoft13
09-22-11, 06:44 PM

true, but in eyes of consumers it was a failure, windows 8 will be even bigger failure.

Sean_W
09-22-11, 07:32 PM
Makes you wonder if they do it on purpose so that the next version will be a monster seller. Microsoft own the desktop market, so they can put out as many OS fails as they like and people will still be forced to by it with new hardware.

Excuse me sir, which computer out of the hundreds we stock would you like? We also provide a choice of OS's. Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Windows or Microsoft Windows. :D