PDA

View Full Version : which nforce 2 is the best?

alienthrylos
08-18-03, 07:57 AM
hello
tomorrow im taking my pc for an upgrade.
I am having a small problem to choose my motherboard. Which nforce 2 chip is the best.
I will buy either msi k7n2g (with nforce 2 igp) or k7n2 delta (with nforce 2 spp). In both cases i need to have dual ddr support. I am also taking a geforce fx 5600 so i am not interested about intergrated graphic card. BTW my new cpu will be athlon xp 2600+ (333mhz fsb).
I need your help about the two different versions of nforce 2 chip. Nvidia's site doesn't have many details. Which of the two of them is the best?

saturnotaku
08-18-03, 08:38 AM
If you don't care about integrated graphics, there's no need to spend the extra money on the nForce IGP (integrated graphics processor). And most nForce2 boards are created equal, it's just a matter of what features you want to have and how much money you're willing to spend.

CaptNKILL
08-18-03, 11:29 AM
Dont buy an Abit NF7-S! I know that wasnt one of the ones you mentioned, but just dont buy one!

From what Iv seen (and the two ive gone through in the past 2 months) they die randomly and are prone to failure. The ones that work work great, but if you look around, lots of people get dead boards. And when they try to RMA, almost every person Iv seen has to go through at least 2 more boards to get one that functions properly.

Dont buy Abit. Its a great board when it works, but Im pretty sure I shaved a year off my life with how pissed off these things have made me.

alienthrylos
08-18-03, 12:54 PM
actually i plan to buy the msi k7n2 delta- ilsr.
It has all the latest technologies (sata, fireware, 6ch audio)

fivefeet8
08-18-03, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by alienthrylos
It has all the latest technologies (sata, fireware, 6ch audio)

Firewire and 6ch audio comes pretty much standard with most nforce2 mobos. What you need to look for is the "soundstorm" audio which comes with only a few of the top of the line Nforce2 mobos. The abit Nf7-S rev2 is one of them. It also comes with 2 Serial ATA raid ports.

The Baron
08-18-03, 03:24 PM
From what Iv seen (and the two ive gone through in the past 2 months) they die randomly and are prone to failure. The ones that work work great, but if you look around, lots of people get dead boards. And when they try to RMA, almost every person Iv seen has to go through at least 2 more boards to get one that functions properly.
Mine died after a month. If it dies again, back it goes to Newegg and incoming Gigabyte board.

saturnotaku
08-18-03, 04:12 PM
It seems like a lot of folks have been having problems with the rev. 2.0 NF7-S boards. I have the 1.2 and it's been rock solid for me. I was thinking of swapping it for the 2.0, but after reading about all the problems I'm going to stick with what I have.

fivefeet8
08-19-03, 01:31 AM
I'm sure there are many people with problems with Abit boards. But so do other people with other Nforce2 mobos. Personally, I've had 4 abit motherboards over the years and none have given me any headache. Abit Kt7a-133r, Abit kr7a-r, Abit nf7-s rev1.1, and now Revision 2 of the Nf7-s. All have been rock solid. The Abit Nf7-s is regarded as one of the best Nforce2 motherboards.

Dazz
08-19-03, 07:19 AM
I have a MSI K7N2 DELTA-L and love it too bits it's been great, a decent overclocker and most of all ROCK SOLID stable it's NEVER even crashed since i bought it :)

RAY16
08-20-03, 01:18 AM
Asus is king.

B&R
08-20-03, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by RAY16
Asus is king.

and epox are the best for OC'ing.

RAY16
08-20-03, 05:11 AM
There is a reason i say Asus is king. I had an asus mobo in my old comp, its lasted 3 years of use and abuse and its still working. For 3 years (the time where i knew nothing about computers) it operated at high temps (CPU temp was 65c with a jump to 70c under extreme use, it was a 400mhz celery), dusty conditions, and abuse. What kind of abuse you ask? Well, by a-hole brother threw out computer on the ground, TWICE. Broke the monitor (which is why right now i'm using an old packard bell monitor from 1995 with a max res of 800x600 32-Bit 60Htz), but the mobo, even after two hard jolts (you'd think the force from falling to the floor would knock something loose) it still worked fine.

I just sent it to my brother, because i built a new computer recently. During the shipping process he told me something on the mobo broke off, but it still works fine. I don't know about you, but thats what i call durability. Asus builds great mobos, long lasting and they normally have good features. Unless i see something really good from another company i'm sticking wit Asus.

Dazz
08-20-03, 06:21 AM
Yeah ASUS boards are pretty good i fried my processor on it damaged it with the screw driver a few times, DAMN TaiSol stupid clumsy clips. Heck it has even saved my processor when the fan failed when i was out the room, granted it crashed during windows setup but my CPU survived and this was with an old Duron 800@1066MHz CPU. The board i am on about was the first revision A7M266 board :) great board although not a great overclocker :o The A7M266 is a 3 year old board which i have only just replaced.

Zenikase
08-20-03, 02:52 PM
<3 <3 8RDA+ (EPoX)

CaptNKILL
08-20-03, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Zenikase
<3 <3 8RDA+ (EPoX)
????

styles-T
08-20-03, 08:19 PM
a7n8x-dlx..

I have a rev 1.4 and havn't had a problem.

11x200 fsb.

or

13x187..thats the most I could get out of it..I think the pc3200 is holding me back..

|JuiceZ|
08-20-03, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
It seems like a lot of folks have been having problems with the rev. 2.0 NF7-S boards. I have the 1.2 and it's been rock solid for me. I was thinking of swapping it for the 2.0, but after reading about all the problems I'm going to stick with what I have.

Yea that really weird, must have been a bad batch lately 'er something....been running stable @ over 200mhz fsb since I purchased it back in April.

btw, Sat I really wouldn't see the need to get a rev 2.0 mb if yers is rock solid now either.

patiently waiting for athlon64/nf3....

batterbrain101
08-22-03, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by RAY16
Asus is king.

Yes, my first Asus MB (P5A-B with AMD 500mhz s-7) is still running strong for its 3rd owner now, the A7V has gone to my neighboor over 2 yrs ago and he plays the newset games on it, and I could go on, BUT even Asus has been plagued with problems caused by the nforce 1 and 2 chipsets. Soem work some don't, sucks to have to basically take a gamble and hope yours works. Bad Nvidia, tsk tsk tsk! :cool:

More ranting; http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16443&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

Vash
08-22-03, 08:51 AM
Man...I was all confident and stuff in the purchase of my NF7-S, but now I'm a little shaky. *crosses fingers* I hope it works out - if I get a good one, it'll be great.