PDA

View Full Version : Need help installing windows 8

ElL33t
09-14-11, 06:01 PM
I'm trying to install windows 8 on a vm through Virtualbox. No matter what I do it only allows me to have 500mb for my vm. I set it on dynamic but it still stuck at not having enough space.

help a nub out.

I am on win7 64

bacon12
09-14-11, 06:53 PM
Haven't had the motivation to try it. If I managed to get one of those touchpads on the cheap or another decent tablet I would for sure be installing it.

ElL33t
09-14-11, 07:16 PM
Haven't had the motivation to try it. If I managed to get one of those touchpads on the cheap or another decent tablet I would for sure be installing it.

I love my win7 and I don't plan to upgrade to win 8 but I do like geeking out on new stuff on my puter.

Q
09-14-11, 07:19 PM
I upgraded to VMware workstation 8 and it installs fine. Still crashes the VM hard (not BSOD) occasionally.

bacon12
09-14-11, 08:00 PM
I have a dual server that is sitting idle I may have a go with it and play around. Was planning on waiting till RC thou.

Zeke009
09-17-11, 12:38 AM
I'm trying to install windows 8 on a vm through Virtualbox. No matter what I do it only allows me to have 500mb for my vm. I set it on dynamic but it still stuck at not having enough space.

help a nub out.

I am on win7 64
I've installed Win8 in Virtual Box 3 times and for some reason, the 3rd time was a charm. Only this time I selected the VHD format over the other options (VDI and I forgot).

Once I did that I was able to resize the window from 800x600 to something higher so the Metro tiles worked. For not even being a beta release, it is surprisingly stable.

Rakeesh
09-18-11, 12:59 AM

I don't think you'll ever see win 8 on the touchpad. Something tells me that microsoft will not be releasing win 8 ARM through retail channels. E.g. it will be OEM only. Meaning if you were somehow able to get an ARM edition installed, it would be considered warez, so I don't know if any developers would publicly work on it for fear of having a price on their head.

I could be wrong, of course, but that is just the way things are going.

Zeke009
09-18-11, 01:07 AM
I don't think you'll ever see win 8 on the touchpad. Something tells me that microsoft will not be releasing win 8 ARM through retail channels. E.g. it will be OEM only. Meaning if you were somehow able to get an ARM edition installed, it would be considered warez, so I don't know if any developers would publicly work on it for fear of having a price on their head.

I could be wrong, of course, but that is just the way things are going.

I can see that happening for ARM based tablets, but Intel and AMD not so much. I plan to upgrade my Acer W500 tablet once win8 is available.

Chris Evans
06-14-12, 03:00 AM
I think so far the beta version has been released and try to avoid and wait for the original full version till that use 7 or XP.