PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Urges Companies to Dump Windows XP

News
09-19-11, 08:50 AM
Last July, Microsoft posted up a note on the official Windows blog site that recommended strongly that companies that were still running Windows XP on their PCs to upgrade to Windows 7. This week, during Microsoft's BUILD Conference, company officials were once again pushing for enterprise customers to dump Windows XP. Information Week reports that Microsoft's chief operating officer Kevin Turner told financial analysts this week, "We are end-of-lifing XP and Office 2003 and everything prior, in April 2014."

That date has previously been announced but a large number of companies have still not made the move to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. Turner said, "So for all those companies that have the old products that haven't quite started the refresh, guess what? This has been a great product, XP has been a wonderful product; great TCO has been given. It's now time for it to go."

Source: Neowin (http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-urges-companies-to-dump-windows-xp)

More... (http://www.ngohq.com/news/20562-microsoft-urges-companies-to-dump-windows-xp.html)

Redeemed
09-19-11, 12:51 PM
I freaking LOATHE XP. It was awesome back in it's day. BACK IN IT'S FREAKIN' DAY. Now, I absolute abhore. I want it gone. Never seen again. Move on folks. Seriously.

ViN86
09-19-11, 01:27 PM
Obviously they have no idea how difficult it is to migrate an entire company from one OS to another...

Thousands of network installs, updates, software compatibility checks, license updates, etc.

What a nightmare...

Q
09-19-11, 01:28 PM
I freaking LOATHE XP. It was awesome back in it's day. BACK IN IT'S FREAKIN' DAY. Now, I absolute abhore. I want it gone. Never seen again. Move on folks. Seriously.

$

grey_1
09-19-11, 01:53 PM
The company I work for is still on XP. Been testing 7 since release, but no word yet on when (if) migration will begin.

Bearclaw
09-19-11, 02:18 PM
My company is just now updating. What a freaking hassle.

frenchy2k1
09-19-11, 02:44 PM
Good engineering mantra: "If it's not broken, don't fix it".
XP has been proven a work horse for the past 10 years. Lots of companies see no advantage in spending money (and time) to replace it, either replacing the whole hardware (computers) or just the software.
Honestly, for office work, a PC less than 5-6 years old is still perfectly good. And at that time, most companies still got XP. Hell, they did up to 2 years ago, shunting Vista for its poor compatibility and lack of advantage...