PDA

View Full Version : Now there's a reason to hate metro, regardless of UI layout

Rakeesh
09-19-11, 04:52 PM
Basically as a regular user, you aren't allowed to install metro apps unless they've specifically been approved by microsoft, and you have downloaded them through the windows app store.

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2011/09/only-enterprise-and-developers-can-bypass-windows-store-for-metro-apps.ars

Personally I don't like metro anyways, not being able to have overlapping windows, and a boxy UI, makes me think of windows 1.0. But now this? Screw that, just bring back the old start menu for everybody else.

mojoman0
09-19-11, 05:42 PM
No surprise here, it'll be the same as the apple app store and other mobile stores. This way they can set the bar for low quality apps to be blocked.

ViN86
09-19-11, 06:36 PM
Ugh, the last thing I wanted them to do was adopt the Mac store model...

nekrosoft13
09-19-11, 07:02 PM
metro is just pathetic. there is nothing good i can say about it.

Windows ME R2 here we come!

mullet
09-19-11, 10:21 PM
Great Lucas screwed up the Star Wars Blu Ray release with more added dumb ass scenes. Now Microsoft has to **** up a great menu system with this crap. Why do companies have to always tinker with stuff and mess it up. Whats next netflix messes up there stock value?

Sean_W
09-20-11, 06:46 AM
They get it right with Windows 7 and then screw it all up with Windows 8.

six_storm
09-20-11, 07:50 AM
They get it right with Windows 7 and then screw it all up with Windows 8.

I say as long as Win8 has better performance and a way to completely disable Metro, I'll gladly upgrade. From what MS has said so far and from what I've read, I don't see this being a problem. But on the other hand, MS does have the possibility to screw it all up.

Sean_W
09-20-11, 09:06 AM
You'll probably have to disable Metro manually and have the start menu back but also the ribbon in explorer really sucks and looks horrid. It looks like some sort of power user UI, looks good in Office but just sucks for a file manager.

Q
09-20-11, 09:43 AM
This is a great idea. This essentially creates a white list of applications for the average user and should make the operating system FAR more robust for the average user.

No one here will be effected by this. Well I take that back, we'll have less family technical support calls from broken ass Windows installs. All of us here will either be running as a user who can elevate privileges or, more likely, with the standard interface instead of Metro.

Rakeesh
09-20-11, 09:59 AM
I say as long as Win8 has better performance and a way to completely disable Metro, I'll gladly upgrade. From what MS has said so far and from what I've read, I don't see this being a problem. But on the other hand, MS does have the possibility to screw it all up.

You can disable metro, but that comes at a price: When future apps come out that you might need, and are metro only, you are going to have to play this toggle and restart game. If it weren't for that, e.g. if say the new version of office was available for classic desktop, that would be fine, but something tells me it won't be.

nekrosoft13
09-20-11, 11:07 AM
You can disable metro, but that comes at a price: When future apps come out that you might need, and are metro only, you are going to have to play this toggle and restart game. If it weren't for that, e.g. if say the new version of office was available for classic desktop, that would be fine, but something tells me it won't be.

there is a rumor that next office will be metro, so another clue that MS wants to force everyone to use the inferior UI, to boost their pathetic mobile phone OS.

Sean_W
09-20-11, 11:21 AM
there is a rumor that next office will be metro, so another clue that MS wants to force everyone to use the inferior UI, to boost their pathetic mobile phone OS.

Indeed, that's probably part of the whole agenda.

nekrosoft13
09-20-11, 07:36 PM
if they close it down completly it won't be good either.

example instead of being able to use community build media centers like XBMC or media portal, you would be forced to use that horrible media center.

there are thousands of community build apps that would probably be blocked just because they would not like to have free competition.

bacon12
09-20-11, 08:34 PM
If those devs want those apps used and sold in windows 8 desktop then they should build them for that. MS is only saying for Metro all apps will be proper apps not screwing the pooch on our touch OS.
They will also be properly updated, I agree this is a good thing.

nekrosoft13
09-20-11, 08:57 PM
If those devs want those apps used and sold in windows 8 desktop then they should build them for that. MS is only saying for Metro all apps will be proper apps not screwing the pooch on our touch OS.
They will also be properly updated, I agree this is a good thing.

community based developers team will not want that. for every update to go though MS, this just slows down progress.

xbmc has a new version every day.

bacon12
09-20-11, 09:51 PM
Then don't build one for a touch interface? Who would want a media center application on touch anyways?

Q
09-20-11, 09:54 PM
community based developers team will not want that. for every update to go though MS, this just slows down progress.

xbmc has a new version every day.

I want a call when xbmc can support a Ceton tuner and 4 HD streams.

Rakeesh
09-20-11, 09:56 PM
I want a call when xbmc can support a Ceton tuner and 4 HD streams.

That will come with Eden (version 11) which has a PVR front end. You can use something like mythtv, mediaportal, etc as a backend.

Though if your cable company are assholes and mark everything with a do not copy flag, it won't work. Some do this.

Lyme
10-07-11, 03:34 PM
You will be able to side-load applications if you choose to do so, however you will have to turn on the functionality. The free wheeling and dealing of applications that is windows today is horrid for normal users and vetting the applicaitons is a really good idea.