PDA

View Full Version : Overheatting troubles which heatsink to get!?

BB Ryder
08-18-03, 03:57 PM
I believe I currently have an overheatting issue that causes my comp to shut down during most 3d applications like bf1942 and wc3. Here are the stats of my computer:

Asus Socket A A7V266-C
Athlon XP 1900+
512mb Samsung DDR266
2x30gb Maxtor Ultra133
XFX GF4200 128mb
SB Live! 5.1 Platinum w/ Bay
D-Link 550tx Nic
16x/40x Pioneer DVD 115
24x/10x/40x Acer CDRW
Flopper Drive
300w Power Supply
Win 2k

Using Motherboard Monitor 5.3.2.0 my temp is from 70-75 C idle!!! Currently I'm running the stock heatsink fan. Will a new heatsink fan with new paste and everything help me out a lot? And what are the good top line heatsink fan combos I can get right now that aren't too loud, I got roommates :( (having them in stock of Fry's would be nice too :D) Anyways let me know, and thanx for readin'!

BB Ryder
08-18-03, 04:04 PM
Should have read some of the other forum post first :( But I have read that Vantec Aeroflow is nice and quiet, and SLK is good too

Malfunction
08-18-03, 04:19 PM
What made a huge difference for me was a larger case. I got myself a Chieftec case:

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-125-222-01.JPG http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-125-222-05.JPG

I have a total of 8x80mm fans (when counting 2xOn PSU and 1xOn HSF). They are surprisingly quite. 3x80mm are Intake fans while 4x80mm are exhaust. The case came with 3x80mm already which was pretty cool. It was also about $80, although if you notice... the case is basically the same case as a Chenming and Thermaltake Xaser II. That could be one solution if all your components are cramp together and not allowing that heat to escape.

If it isn't very warm in your room, that might be the reason. A large HSF with the largest fan you could mount on it would be another option. Might be wise to get a small fan monitor to run the fan at lower speeds but still get the same amount of airflow as a smaller fan cranked out to it's highest rpm. Here, a 80mm to 92mm would be perfect. Thing is... you still need to get that hot air out of the case.

Too many intake fans is inefficient. All this does is circulate the hot air trapped inside your case creating a blanket of heat if you will. Slightly more exhuast is the key to move cool air in and hot air out immediately.

Hope that helps some.

Peace,

:)

BB Ryder
08-18-03, 04:37 PM
I never thought about a bigger case, mine is pretty cramped, with 1 intake and one exhaust, but again, sound is an issue. You think I could clean up the wiring and get new fans that would help?

BB Ryder
08-18-03, 04:48 PM
I never thought about a bigger case, mine is pretty cramped, with 1 intake and one exhaust, but again, sound is an issue. You think I could clean up the wiring and get new fans that would help?

Malfunction
08-18-03, 04:52 PM
Looks like you can mount a 80mm beneath the HD(s) and maybe squeeze annother dirrectly below the one in the rear of the case. Lastly, you can always cut a hole on the top of the case and mount a pair of 80mm or a 92mm to 120mm. That would deffinitely help get that heat out.

Cleaning up your cables would be a plus as well. ;) Rounded cables aren't very expensive or you could DIY (http://www.comp-shop.com/Articles/cables/cables.htm).

http://www.comp-shop.com/Articles/cables/cables-2.jpg

If you are gonna cut the case, take out mobo before you do. You don't want metal shavings accidently creating a ground on the mobo.

Peace,

:D

BB Ryder
08-18-03, 11:49 PM
I decided to purchase a Vantech Aeroflow heatsink fan combo, a few variable vantech fans and rounded ide cables, I'll post my results! Thanx for the help MalFunction :)

Malfunction
08-22-03, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by BB Ryder
I decided to purchase a Vantech Aeroflow heatsink fan combo, a few variable vantech fans and rounded ide cables, I'll post my results! Thanx for the help MalFunction :)

Your very welcome. :)

Peace,

:D

{Sniping}Waste
08-24-03, 02:02 PM
You might want to put a 120mm fan in the front to get better air flow and the 120mm's are quiet. The 80mm in the back is a cheep sleeve baring fan so replacing it will help too. look here for some better fans. www.skylinegraphics.net.

ReDeeMeR
08-24-03, 04:55 PM
BB Ryder, it also might be your PSU, have you o/c anything?

Dazz
08-24-03, 05:44 PM
I heard some VERY good things abou the TT Slient boost.
http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/silentBoost.htm

Matthius
08-27-03, 08:45 AM
even though their loud as hell, i'd recommend the Thermaltake fans and heatsinks. i got myself a new volcano 11+ and it keeps my oc'd cpu at a constant 30 - 35 degrees celcius

BB Ryder
08-29-03, 08:55 PM
Finally I got my order in from 3dcool.com, I had to have an address change... Anyhow, I have a pic on what it looks like, I'm not sure how cool its goin' at, I'm using MBM 5.3, it list 30 on one sensor and the other at 50, I'm not sure which one is it, or if it is even accurate lol, anyone wanna help me out?

It's nice n quiet, I bought 80mm fans and didnt even realize that I had only 60mm slots, so I zip tied them in the there :). I also got rounded cables, looks damn clean in there. My comp doesn't freeze on games anymore, just played Desert Combat .39 for about an hour. Pretty satisfyed. Thanks for your help ppl!