PDA

View Full Version : Are there any drivers for the Amd Athlon cpu for windows xp?

sean m
08-18-03, 07:25 PM
Does anybody know if there are newer drivers for a Amd 1.4ghz cpu for windows xp pro?

The Baron
08-18-03, 07:26 PM
Processor doesn't need drivers.

If you're talking about the chipset, www.viaarena.com

Bubba
08-18-03, 08:42 PM
Sure they do. Check Device Manager-Device by Type-Processors. Not sure if this is accurate for T-birds, but Athlon XPs last driver update was in 12/02 ver. 5.1.2600.1152.

The Baron
08-18-03, 09:57 PM
That's SP1.

Windows has processor "drivers" built in for 3DNow and the like. However, you're never going to need to update them unless MS releases a patch (like they did for P4-Ms and Centrinos to fix some SpeedStep crap--coincidentally, that's the same patch that trashed my brother's laptop).

saturnotaku
08-19-03, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
That's SP1.

Windows has processor "drivers" built in for 3DNow and the like. However, you're never going to need to update them unless MS releases a patch (like they did for P4-Ms and Centrinos to fix some SpeedStep crap--coincidentally, that's the same patch that trashed my brother's laptop).

Interesting because this was the exact same patch (I got mine from Dell) that fixed a few niggling issues I was having with my laptop. Of course it won't matter too much if I decide to sell mine, which is something that could happen in the very near future.

The Baron
08-19-03, 09:13 AM
It DEMOLISHED my bro's box. Thing wouldn't boot, had to reinstall Windows and reinstall SP1 before it would work again.

Very ugly.