PDA

View Full Version : Question about TV cards and recording quality.

joltcola
08-18-03, 11:59 PM
The situation is this, I've got a bunch of VHS tapes sitting around. With stuff ranging from olympics to made for tv mysteries recorded on them ( they arn't mine ).

I've been asked to figure out how to get whats recorded no these tapes into a digital format. Such as burning them onto CD or DVD.

What im wondering, will a 40ish dollar tv card do the job ( such as the one leadtek is selling over at newegg ) ? What kind of quality should I be expecting, or will this card not be enough to do that?

I just haven't been able to find any kind of information on what I would need ( haven't have time to search ).

If anyone can post some links and such to cards that would do that job, and any suggestion, that would be great!!!!!

-- jolt

poursoul
08-19-03, 03:01 AM
There's the TV wonder VE here (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=47&manufactory=1126&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1) for $45. Everyone else here raves about them.

I myself haven't had any luck with ATI tv cards though. I've owned both the VE and the standard versions. The only real important differences are the VE doesn't do stereo sound and doesn't do mpeg-2 encoding i think.

I personally recommend the happauge cards, though they do cost a bit more. They are a bit more universal when it comes to compatibility.

Now about quality. It really depends more on the software you're using. If you go with ATI, thier software package is actually really good (except the drivers) for recording anything you wish and at any quality. Happauge is lacking in this cattagory, so they usually bundle thier cards with some cheap third party app. But that shouldn't matter much either.

In the end i say go with happauge. I think you'll be more satisfied in the long run.

joltcola
08-19-03, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by poursoul
In the end i say go with happauge. I think you'll be more satisfied in the long run.

thanks bud , i do apprichate. I'll go ahead and check out that manufacturer.

** runs to the bathroom **

not feeling good today...

thanks again!

[ edit : I went over to newegg ... is this the one you're talking about? newegg link (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=Hauppauge+WinTV%2DPVR+250+Model%23+980 +PCI+TV+Tuner+Ca) ]

-- jolt

poursoul
08-20-03, 02:35 AM
yer link is broken, but i get the gist of your link.

Yeah, that's exactly what i'm talking about. I suggest the $80 one, it's the cheapest and it comes w/ a remote. :D