PDA

View Full Version : Need a new mouse. Time to cut the cable?

FastRedPonyCar
09-22-11, 10:10 PM
I've always been a pretty staunch supporter of a traditional usb cable mouse for my main gaming computer. I'm not really gaming much with it these days but I still do and as such, I don't want a generic mouse.

I wouldn't mind going cordless for a cleaner looking setup but it seems that even the nice cordless mice like my wife's wireless M705 and MX Revolution that I use with my laptop when I'm out of town will get choppy and unresponsive if the little tiny usb adapter is more than 3 feet from the mouse. I have to make sure the usb thing goes on the RIGHT hand side of the laptop or else half the time the mouse won't respond. Neither of them. :thumbdwn:

I do not want this from a gaming mouse. So 2 bad experiences (make that 3 if you count my older microsoft wireless mouse which was the same way) with wireless and never a problem from the corded mice.

Does anyone honestly game with wireless? I can understand the M705 and MX Revolution being a bit clumsy but a mouse branded as a gaming mouse shouldn't have an issue (in my opinion) keeping communications with the little adaptor if it's plugged into the back of my PC. I don't want to have to get a little 2 foot usb extension plug only to pull THAT up onto my desk behind the monitor so the mouse won't lose signal... that pretty much defeats the whole point.

So my question is whether or not the G700 wirelss mouse is any different than it's M class bretheren? Or should I just get the less expensive sure bet G500?

I honestly do not care about button macros or any of that other crap. I just want a solid reliable well built mouse. I've been using the HELL out of this MX518 since whenever they first came out and the only reason I'm upgrading is because the rubber grippy sides of the mouse have started to get sticky or gummy. Mouse still works great (and my MX500 at the office still rock solid) just starting to feel kinda funky and I tried cleaning it and it just sort of gets gummier :( So it appears that it's time to take the ol girl out to the pasture and move on.

I've tried a few of the Razer mice and really am not a fan of their ergonomics. My hand has pretty much grown into the shape of the logitech MX and anything else just feels wrong.

That said, the G9 is another option. It's square design scares me a bit as far as comfort goes but if it's a superior product, I could give it a shot for a week an try it out and if not, just send it back off to the egg. Reading on the [H] forums seems to indicate that as a "claw grip" user, the G9 would be the better option??

I've read numerous G700 vs G500 and most of them point to the G700 being the better mouse.

Suggestions? Buy all 3 and send 2 back? :D

grey_1
09-23-11, 09:47 AM
I've seen the best feedback on the G9, but I'm kind of afraid of that design too. Wireless bothers me more.

I don't have the distance issue you do with my logitec wireless on the home laptop, but I've tried 2 wireless on the desktop and...well....I seem to be cursed wrt battery life. Both of them (Logitec, I don't remember the model) seemed to die in the midst of battle in a game, even after charging all night.

Then again it's been a while, I'm sure they've improved.

if you get the G9 post your impressions please. that's likely to be my next mouse too.

FastRedPonyCar
09-23-11, 10:06 AM
I've talked to a few guys at my office this morning. They're bringing in a G9x, G700 and G500 monday for me to test out on my computer through the day.

the guy that owns the G500 said he also has the G9x but ended up selling it as it was an awkward shape and just didn't sit naturally in his hand. FWIW, his previous mouse was also an MX518 that he uses at his desk at the office now.

I've got a feeling that I'm going to end up with the G500 but I'm giving all 3 a fair shot.

grey_1
09-23-11, 10:13 AM
I've talked to a few guys at my office this morning. They're bringing in a G9x, G700 and G500 monday for me to test out on my computer through the day.

the guy that owns the G500 said he also has the G9x but ended up selling it as it was an awkward shape and just didn't sit naturally in his hand. FWIW, his previous mouse was also an MX518 that he uses at his desk at the office now.

I've got a feeling that I'm going to end up with the G500 but I'm giving all 3 a fair shot.

Oh that's nice! Yeah, I'm afraid of the G9 not 'fitting' well either. I've been using a G5 since release (love it!) but I think it's beginning to go....I'll cry when it does, :p but I've gotten my monies worth out of it.

stereod
09-23-11, 01:53 PM
You might want to take a look at Cyborg R.A.T. 7 it's highly customizable, has a sniper button and looks absolutely badass, IMO :) I'll be buying this myself sometime soon.
As for wireless vs wired, I prefer wired simply because I always forget to recharge the battery...
http://img.xataka.com/2010/08/mad-catz-cyborg-rat-7-gaming-mouse-top.jpg

|MaguS|
09-23-11, 03:27 PM
My GF and I both use the Razer Mamba and we love it.

Rakeesh
09-23-11, 03:39 PM
I'm liking my G700.

Rummy
09-23-11, 08:03 PM
G500 here.

jkmetal
09-23-11, 11:26 PM
I just got my razer deathadder and I m in love with it.

Serrasalmus
09-24-11, 12:12 AM
i use logitech m570 wireless trackball and i game daily with it....

Viral
09-24-11, 02:45 AM
Logitech M950 here with zero problems what so ever. Very happy with it, the G700 was too cluttered button wise for me.

Yaboze
09-24-11, 11:48 AM
G500 here.

jeffmd
09-26-11, 12:17 PM
i've been running the g500 (second revision with 2 thumb buttons) as my gaming mouse.

From what ive seen, wireless shouldn't be a problem for gaming, but you are going to need to put down some serious coin for again, something like one of Logitech gaming wireless mice. If you run an extraordinarily clean workbench then it may be ideal for you to make the switch, but otherwise cutting the cord may not be worth the hassle of batteries if you happen to be on the computer for many hours of the day.

FastRedPonyCar
09-26-11, 12:37 PM
well the G9x and G500 have been put into use since this morning and I knew right away the G9x was not going to jive with my hand and after a couple of hours, my hand had started to cramp up from the unorthodox grip. I tried both the different sleeves and neither were comfortable.

The G500 on the other hand..or rather the same hand, was instantly familiar and just as comfortable as the MX500 and 518. There was this instant sigh of relief when I grabbed it. Hello old friend!

so I'll be using this the rest of the day and the G700 should get put into use tomorrow.

The cursor and clicking/scrolling of the G500 and 9x though feel exactly the same. From what I've read, the 9x is, at its core the G500 with a different body shell.

Rummy
09-26-11, 01:11 PM
well the G9x and G500 have been put into use since this morning and I knew right away the G9x was not going to jive with my hand and after a couple of hours, my hand had started to cramp up from the unorthodox grip. I tried both the different sleeves and neither were comfortable.

The G500 on the other hand..or rather the same hand, was instantly familiar and just as comfortable as the MX500 and 518. There was this instant sigh of relief when I grabbed it. Hello old friend!

so I'll be using this the rest of the day and the G700 should get put into use tomorrow.

The cursor and clicking/scrolling of the G500 and 9x though feel exactly the same. From what I've read, the 9x is, at its core the G500 with a different body shell.

Great choice :)

batterbrain101
09-26-11, 02:43 PM
i use logitech m570 wireless trackball and i game daily with it....

I use the same mouse and couldn't be happier with it's performance, especially when gaming. I love trackball mice for FPS games. As far as batteries, I'm on the original Duracell I put in the M570 4 months ago and my MX-1100 is at a year+ on it's batteries, it was part of a keyboard combo (got to love the unifying receivers) and used at minimum 4 hrs/day but has been with the laptop since I bought my M570 which gets the same minimum use/day.

Alkaline batteries (they don't die suddenly either) have always outlasted rechargeable (even Li-Ion) batteries for me by a long shot, never got good life out of the mice with the rechargeable batteries/docks.

My only wish for the M570 is that it had the 4-way wheel like my laptop mouse, the MX-1100, has to make side to side scrolling in web pages, Word, Photoshop, etc., a breeze. :cool:

darkrider01
09-27-11, 03:04 PM
My GF and I both use the Razer Mamba and we love it.

+1 loving the Mamba.

I suggest breaking your hand and having a Mamba put into your broken fingers when they make your cast. That way, when your hand heals, you'll be fixed, and you'll have an incredible mouse that can be wired or wireless.

:D

ICE2K
09-28-11, 12:42 AM
here's mine....
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/-0RxtYRpINahaJuu9KD3TZ4qHHgHTDlNfFtK8d8PpewbMWTDscw nlNR0Cfg80H64V0Lf9Z_-5ipyOOKWoVD1mpxesC9b8JiJbhy1rnQB10HxYKQqGQcOOWClTk DfEAqpTrMHrflHwvUY9-HN36S4rsUj05B8X6FEt8KKSOByTDnaT0zmqZnSaBUxobRoENLm tpvvXJ0

batterbrain101
09-28-11, 07:14 AM
+1 loving the Mamba.

I suggest breaking your hand and having a Mamba put into your broken fingers when they make your cast. That way, when your hand heals, you'll be fixed, and you'll have an incredible mouse that can be wired or wireless.

:D

Awesome! Sounds easy enough. :D

FastRedPonyCar
09-28-11, 08:25 AM
Looks like the G500 gets the nod. I tried em all and it just feels the best in the hand, all the extra button placement is accessible but I never hit any of them by mistake so they're out of the way enough to go unnoticed unless I specifically reach for one, the price is good and although I didn't feel a lot of difference with no weights in it vs all the heavy weights, I guess it's nice that I have that option.

So that's that!