PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking n00b

ZealPath
08-19-03, 02:49 AM
I'm hoping to try to squeeze some more performance out of my p4 1.8 ghz, although I have a radeon 9800 pro performance in some games is still hardly stellar, and I was wondering what the easiest way (ie software) to try overclocking my processor might be. I would also consider just plain upgrading my processcor if anyone thinks it's a likely source of video bottleneck. I have a gig of rdram so I don't think lack of memory is an issue at all.

I know this is kinda vague, but since I really don't know a thing about overclocking my processor any tips would be appreciated.

Dazz
08-19-03, 07:35 AM
RDRAM? are you using a soeck 423 board? The 423 Processors an't that great at overclocking and can run abit hot. BUt as RDRAM is being phrased out you will find it hard to get a board that support 16bit dual channel RDRAM.

B&R
08-19-03, 07:26 PM
k slowly increase the fsb by 5 Mhz and after like every 10 Mhz check for stability by running stressful games like UT2k3 etc.

Rytr
08-20-03, 10:56 PM
Take B&R's advice and in addition do not get in a hurrayl. Slowly increase and check stability. Might what to check out some oc'ing how to's. A simple 'search' ought to generate a lot of hits. In other words, read up on the subject and like you have now ask a lot of questions. ;)

RobHague
08-24-03, 06:50 PM
Remember..

Prime95 is your friend :D... or your worst enemy. :kill:

Fire up some programs like Prime95, HOT CPU Tester etc and watch the temps and the program itself. If it fails, errors or freezes out the PC then it means you have gone too far. In general i find that if you manage a few hours of Prime95 then the PC is stable enough for most tasks (like gaming etc) and u really only need to go in for the 'weeks' if you do folding for teams and stuff.

CaptNKILL
08-25-03, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by RobHague
Remember..

Prime95 is your friend :D... or your worst enemy. :kill:

Fire up some programs like Prime95, HOT CPU Tester etc and watch the temps and the program itself. If it fails, errors or freezes out the PC then it means you have gone too far. In general i find that if you manage a few hours of Prime95 then the PC is stable enough for most tasks (like gaming etc) and u really only need to go in for the 'weeks' if you do folding for teams and stuff.

Another thing that works great for me is just playing Battlefield 1942 for a few hours, then leaving the game running (on a server or on a local game with lots of BOTS) when Im done. If it is still ok when I come back (some times 5 hours later), then it can handle anything I do. Prime95 might still crash, but as long as my games never crash, its fine. I mean, I dont PLAY Prime95 all day do I? :)

Still, if you do lots of multimedia stuff or absolutely must have a totaly 100% stable computer, use Prime95 for testing. Leave it on for 2 or 3 hours at the most.

RobHague
08-25-03, 08:42 AM
Yay finally found someone that agree's with me about prime lol. I hate the program because it makes my overclocks die :firedevil and sometimes i can prime fine and have 3dmark fail (i use my PC mainly for games like you). But yet it seems to have this DIE HARD 48hr MIN following lol.

Anyway, the reason i suggest Prime95 is because if it can do a few hours or it, it will pretty much handle anything you throw at it - including games. If prime95 errors on my machine after a few moments then i can be pretty sure that playing games will cause it to lockup/crash to desktop too. :) Last thing i want is to be playing a game and having my PC promtley reset when i havent saved ;)

Prime95 is especially important if you are doing folding projects etc
They recommend at least 6 hours but to be honest there really isnt a quick test with prime. To make sure its 100% stable leave it on when you use your PC and dont turn it off - still running after a few weeks without error then your good :thumbsup:. If you are doing things like SETI and arent stable with prime then STOP using Seti or clock down. No one will thankyou for returning bad data. :)

Just wondering about the people on here i saw overclocking the hell out of the P4's - did they try Prime95 at all? Hmm :)