PDA

View Full Version : 4xAA 8xAF = Crash

Serious Tom
08-19-03, 07:59 AM
I've got a 5900 Ultra running 500/900 which is the Performance Bios from eVGA. Its really been giving me fits. I have been playing Elite Force 2 and set everything to high quality in the advanced options and set the AA to 4x and AF to 8x but the game would freeze up for 10 seconds or so and then continue for awhile.
I've reinstalled my nForce 2 drivers installed the 45.23 dets and reinstalled DirectX.
Now the game doesn't freeze up but now I get Windows XP error poping into the game wanting to send a error report. This would happen everytime I tried to play and would be a minute or two into the game.
So now I switched from 4xAA and 8xAF to application and the game runs fine.
Believe it or not, this was all leading up to a question. I wanted to know if you go into the advanced grapjics section of a game and turn all the crap to the highest quality ( they had a help me file, explaining each item ) should you then have your sliders set to application ? Is this what was causing my trouble maybe or should I still have been able to run 4xAA and 8xAF.............................................. ..............................Tom

Ruined
08-19-03, 01:20 PM
Have you tried EVGA.COM's forum? There is a big thread there with fixes for crashing eVGA 5900 ultras.

Serious Tom
08-19-03, 02:30 PM
I guess what I want to know is if you set all the goodies in the game to the highest settings, should you then use application on the sliders ?

pdpw
08-20-03, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Serious Tom
4x and AF to 8x but the game would freeze up for 10 seconds or so and then continue for awhile............................................ .................................Tom [/B]
I have just posted about this same problem. If you turn off AA none of your games will freeze, if you leave AA on, set your colour to 16 bit then the games will only freeze for a split second (in most games) and not up to 15 seconds, also lowering the resolution reduces the freezing.

Not sure whats causing this problem ? I have owened lots of nvidia cards and never had this problem before.