PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 BSOD

scout2of3
09-30-11, 06:35 PM
I have finally upgraded my PC with the new Sandy Bridge CPU and the like. Here are my specs:

MB - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU - Intel Core i7 2600K with Noctura NH-D14 HSF
RAM - Corsair Vengance 8GB
Graphics - EVGA GTX 570 SC HD ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130622 )
PSU - Corsair CX600

The problem I am having is that when I play BF: BC2, after about 20 - 30 minutes I get a BSOD which says it is due to a hardware issue/failure. I have eliminated my graphics card by putting my old GTX 460 in and I still have the issue. I ran the program WhoCrashed and it said it was due to the "hal.dll" file which is likely due to the overheating of a component.

I have stress tested both the cpu and the graphics card (using Prime95/CoreTemp 1.0 and FurMark/EVGA OC scanner). The GPU got up to 89C degrees and the highest any core on my cpu got was 63C. I also used CoreTemp to log the cpu temps while playing BF:BC2 and the hottest any core got was 54C.

I am at a loss right now on what to do. Although I haven't tried to recreate this issue by playing any other games. I do need help in trying to resolve this issue and any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

Almost forgot, when I first built the system I noticed that in the BIOS the CPU was set at [X38] which set the speed of the cpu to 3.8 gHz. Not sure if this matters. I did try to reduce it to it's stock speed of 3.4 but it seems to not work or I am just an idiot (which could be the case as I don't know how to manually overclock).

scout2of3
09-30-11, 08:24 PM
I just played GTA IV for about an hour without any issues. I am just not sure if BF:BC2 is a heavily cpu dependent game. Maybe my psu isn't up to it.

I will play more games later on to see if I can recreate the issue.

bob saget
10-01-11, 02:24 AM
Have you tried lowering the quality of sound in the game? BC2 still crashes to desktop for me about once or twice a week.

Shatmusket
10-01-11, 08:40 AM
Here's an excellent OCing guide for Sandy Bridge.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

scout2of3
10-01-11, 10:13 AM
Have you tried lowering the quality of sound in the game? BC2 still crashes to desktop for me about once or twice a week.

I will give that a try. I did just leave it on it's default setting. Thanks for the suggestion.

scout2of3
10-01-11, 10:16 AM
Here's an excellent OCing guide for Sandy Bridge.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

Thanks for the link to that article, it looks quite extensive. I will give it a read and see if I can fix my default overclock problem.

nekrosoft13
10-01-11, 01:08 PM
are you OC'ing? if you are set everything, and i mean every thing to default. this way you can figure out of your OC is unstable or some other issue might be causing it.

scout2of3
10-01-11, 10:04 PM
are you OC'ing? if you are set everything, and i mean every thing to default. this way you can figure out of your OC is unstable or some other issue might be causing it.

I am trying to not overclock my cpu but, when I first built this system the multiplier was set at X38 by default which set the cpu at 3800 Mhz. I set the multiplier manually in the BIOS to X34 to achieve the correct clocking but now CPU-Z, along with the post, says the cpu is clocked at 3500 Mhz with a X35 multiplier. I am very confused.

scout2of3
10-02-11, 12:23 AM
I cleared the CMOS and this is what I get with the factory settings while running Prime95 and CPU-Z.

grey_1
10-02-11, 07:02 AM
http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/681824-bc2-crashes-bsod.html

There's a hotfix linked in post #7. I don't know if it's good or not to tell the truth - I've read too much about hosts of major problems with this game, so never bought.

scout2of3
10-02-11, 10:21 AM
http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/681824-bc2-crashes-bsod.html

There's a hotfix linked in post #7. I don't know if it's good or not to tell the truth - I've read too much about hosts of major problems with this game, so never bought.

Sorry but the link to the hotfix requires a username and password. I looked around and I can't seem to create one.

The weird thing is that I never had this problem, or any other, with this game until I built this new system.

scout2of3
10-02-11, 10:42 AM

I tried every combination that I could along with removing my X-FI sound card (along with the drivers) and using on board audio but nothing changed. I still get a BSOD after 20 minutes of game play due to a hardware failure.

grey_1
10-02-11, 12:05 PM
Sorry but the link to the hotfix requires a username and password. I looked around and I can't seem to create one.

The weird thing is that I never had this problem, or any other, with this game until I built this new system.

Ah, sorry - I didn't check the link myself. Just curious, for troubleshooting purposes. When you swapped graphics cards did you use the same driver version? Some of the recent releases (280 series I think) were causing major issues with certain games across a wide range of cards.

Just a thought, may be worth a try if those are the ones you're running.

scout2of3
10-02-11, 02:21 PM
Ah, sorry - I didn't check the link myself. Just curious, for troubleshooting purposes. When you swapped graphics cards did you use the same driver version? Some of the recent releases (280 series I think) were causing major issues with certain games across a wide range of cards.

Just a thought, may be worth a try if those are the ones you're running.

I did use the same driver version (280.26). But that was the same driver I have been using even before this new build.

It does seem like that I have found the problem. I have been playing BC2 for about 3 hours without an issue and I think it was my graphics card overheating. I manually set the fan to 80% and then played BC2 and it never gave me the BSOD. Guess I'll have to set the fan at 80% each time I want to play, no big deal though as I am just happy I found the issue.

Thanks to all who responded and helped me with this problem.

grey_1
10-02-11, 02:35 PM
I did use the same driver version (280.26). But that was the same driver I have been using even before this new build.

It does seem like that I have found the problem. I have been playing BC2 for about 3 hours without an issue and I think it was my graphics card overheating. I manually set the fan to 80% and then played BC2 and it never gave me the BSOD. Guess I'll have to set the fan at 80% each time I want to play, no big deal though as I am just happy I found the issue.

Thanks to all who responded and helped me with this problem.

Yep, that's the one they released that had fan control issues. It's not ramping the fan up as heat increases on some cards, so it has to be manually set as you did.

Glad you found it, that can frustrate the heck out of anyone.

scout2of3
10-02-11, 05:33 PM
It sure did frustrate me :). What drivers are good for letting it handle all of it automatically? I was thinking of trying the beta drivers but I am not sure.

grey_1
10-02-11, 05:57 PM
It sure did frustrate me :). What drivers are good for letting it handle all of it automatically? I was thinking of trying the beta drivers but I am not sure.

I'm using the 285.27 beta drivers (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win7-winvista-64bit-285.27-beta-driver-uk.html) with no issues at the moment. Ymmv of course, like I said I don't have BC2 so i can't give you feedback on that.

Before that I used (and still do for roll backs) the 270.61 set. That's been perfect for me.

I also run MSI Afterburner (http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm). Best little app for overclocking and/or setting a fan profile, monitoring temps etc etc. Love it. :)

Hope this helps some.

scout2of3
10-02-11, 06:23 PM
I'm using the 285.27 beta drivers (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win7-winvista-64bit-285.27-beta-driver-uk.html) with no issues at the moment. Ymmv of course, like I said I don't have BC2 so i can't give you feedback on that.

Before that I used (and still do for roll backs) the 270.61 set. That's been perfect for me.

I also run MSI Afterburner (http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm). Best little app for overclocking and/or setting a fan profile, monitoring temps etc etc. Love it. :)

Hope this helps some.

That helps a great deal. Thank you.

bob saget
10-02-11, 06:24 PM
:thumbsup: to grey.

frenchy2k1
10-03-11, 01:40 PM
definitely give afterburner a try. Best app to control your graphic card.
Set your fan profile in it, load on startup and forget about it ;)

Once things are stable, you can even give overclocking a try.

scout2of3
10-03-11, 10:16 PM
definitely give afterburner a try. Best app to control your graphic card.
Set your fan profile in it, load on startup and forget about it ;)

Once things are stable, you can even give overclocking a try.

I did that on Sunday, but thanks for the suggestion anyway. That feature sure is nice.

CoSWill
10-14-11, 05:23 PM
MSI Afterburner is almost a must for the 570 imo...When I first bought my 570 I was having some heat related issues in Crysis2..installed afterburner and no more problems..I have it set to start with windows, that way you don't have to remember to start it before gaming.