PDA

View Full Version : Minor blurb about Halo release date...

Pages : [1] 2

Riptide
08-19-03, 07:48 PM
Gamestop e-mail'd me and it looks like they've moved up the release date a week, from 9/23 to 9/30. Just an FYI guys...

saturnotaku
08-19-03, 10:15 PM
Then that'll be moved up to 10/15, then 10/30...it's never gonna end. :o

Serath
08-19-03, 11:13 PM
Seriously, you'd think they'd just scrap Halo for being such a waste of ppls time. I mean really. Halo pisses me off.

StealthHawk
08-20-03, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Riptide
Gamestop e-mail'd me and it looks like they've moved up the release date a week, from 9/23 to 9/30. Just an FYI guys...

They've "moved up" the release date as in they are delaying it, or they are releasing it earlier? To release Halo on the same day as HL2 they'd have to be mad.

RAY16
08-20-03, 04:18 AM
lol, yeah. They better release it before HL2 because HL2 is going to beat it to a bloody pulp. I'm gonna buy Halo because i played it on Xbox and liked it a lot, plus the mulitplayer is gonna rock (/me thinks about running fools over in a warthog). But HL2 is much higher on most peoples list and its probably going to take a lot of sales away from Halo (unless most people have enough money to buy both).

saturnotaku
08-20-03, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by RAY16
(unless most people have enough money to buy both).

mmm...$95 in credit from Electronics Boutique. :D

I'm definitely going to pre-order HL2, but Halo I might wait on depending on its release date.

sheeps
08-20-03, 08:22 AM
I'll be getting halo because no chance in hell half life 2 will run on my pc.

stncttr908
08-20-03, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by sheeps
I'll be getting halo because no chance in hell half life 2 will run on my pc. I'd have to say that it's the other way around. HL2 is being designed to be scalable anywheres from a P3 700 w/a DX6 card (TNT2) all the way up to high end systems. Not that it'll look nearly as good, but it will run.

sheeps
08-21-03, 01:50 AM
hmm.. true.. but promises.. promises..

Half-life 2 and Halo use Direct3d right? Not OpenGL. right?

RAY16
08-21-03, 03:21 AM
I'm sure Halo will require a more powerfull system to run then half-life 2 since Halos engine wasn't ment to run on anything less then a GeForce 3.

Malfunction
08-21-03, 04:14 AM
I'm sure Halo will require a more powerfull system to run then half-life 2 since Halos engine wasn't ment to run on anything less then a GeForce 3.

huh? :confused:

I can't wait till Halo is out. I was a huge fan of the XBoX version, and it is the only thing my kids play at the moment... well atleast when their buds come over. :D Reminds me alot of myself when I was younger... very cool. :cool:

If the XBoX can handle Halo (GF3/P3 733Mhz) I am sure many will be pleasantly surprised at how well it runs on many systems.

HL2 looks great, but I was never into HL to begin with... so if I have a choice (Which I do) I will get myself Halo before HL2 in a heart beat.

Peace,

:D

sheeps
08-21-03, 04:42 AM
No co-op in halo though :(..

Oh well, I just want it for the cinematic single player and possibility for more single player games..

Half-life isn't cinematic, it's all played through the eyes of the main character.. Which I like and all, but right now I really want the cinematography :).

RAY16
08-21-03, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Malfunction
huh? :confused:

I can't wait till Halo is out. I was a huge fan of the XBoX version, and it is the only thing my kids play at the moment... well atleast when their buds come over. :D Reminds me alot of myself when I was younger... very cool. :cool:

If the XBoX can handle Halo (GF3/P3 733Mhz) I am sure many will be pleasantly surprised at how well it runs on many systems.

HL2 looks great, but I was never into HL to begin with... so if I have a choice (Which I do) I will get myself Halo before HL2 in a heart beat.

Peace,

:D

Its not that simple. Take a look at some recent console ports and you'll see that they always require better hardware then the console it was run on. Consoles have special features an optimazations that allow them to run good looking games one less then stellar hardware. If you want a decent frame rate you'll want no less then a GF3 to run Halo (because's GF3 is faster then a Ti-500 and the game still has some nast frame rate problems in places) . Halo will probably also require a 800Mhz CPU minimum and a 1ghz or higer reccomended. I'd like to see you run Halo on a TNT2.

Malfunction
08-21-03, 05:14 AM
Have you even seen how well Moto GP2 runs on a PC? It too was a XBoX game that has successfully transistioned.

You might wanna consider doing it incase you haven't.

Peace,

:)

ragejg
08-21-03, 06:08 AM

Look for some archives and you'll see beautiful screenies fron '99, with it running on a TNT2... , it's original dev. platform.

:)

ragejg
08-21-03, 06:10 AM
(because's GF3 is faster then a Ti-500

neh... it's the other way around, ray16 :) ... :)

RAY16
08-21-03, 06:39 AM
neh... it's the other way around, ray16

If it is then why do i get a lower frame rate in MotoGP 2 then the Xbox gets?

Athlon XP 2000+
GeForce 3 Ti-200 (Overclocked to 240 Core & 480 Memory) with 45.23 Dets.

Look for some archives and you'll see beautiful screenies fron '99, with it running on a TNT2... , it's original dev. platform.

I've seen a video of it from back then. It didn't look as good as the Xbox version. Bungies obviously updated remade a lot of the engine to take advantage of all the GeForce 3 features. There is no way it will run on a TNT2 the way it is now.

sheeps
08-21-03, 07:24 AM
If it is then why do i get a lower frame rate in MotoGP 2 then the Xbox gets?

Because the xbox is devoted to gaming.. all it's ram and such is all poured into gaming.. all the computer, that is the xbox, is running is a game..

When you're playing it on your PC, you have an OS running in the background, other background programs running in the OS.. it eats up our precious ram..

RAY16
08-21-03, 08:17 AM
After i wrote that about MotoGP 2 running slow, i remembered that i was using a different driver version before. I just downloaded it again and it runs just as fast, if not better then the Xbox version. Sorry for my hasty reply, I tend to get a bit defensive. But I still think you'll need a GF3 minimum to enjoy Halo.

*Edit*

Just found some really early screenshots of Halo. They aren't what i would call amazing.

http://halo.bungie.org/screenshots/pcxl.0500/pcxl.0500.salvage.jpg

http://halo.bungie.org/screenshots/nextgen1299scans/nextgen1299crater.jpg

http://halo.bungie.org/screenshots/nextgen1299scans/nextgen1299fire.jpg

http://halo.bungie.org/screenshots/nextgen1299scans/nextgen1299tank.jpg

Vash
08-21-03, 08:40 AM
I'm confident that it'll come out in September, and before HL2. Randy Pitchford's latest word (from the Bungie Fanfest meeting that took place during Quakecon), is that it is definitely coming out in September. So, the man at the helm of the project is certain of the date.

Also, the guys that run the marketing for the game have to be aware that if they release after HL2, they're going to sell fewer copies. If they don't know that, then they'd have been fired before this point.

Thirdly, just because Gamestop says that the date's been moved doesn't mean jack. They move the release date around if it's reported that Randy had some bad egg for breakfast.

ragejg
08-21-03, 09:00 AM
if those screenies are indeed old, then IMO they're beautiful...

here's some more from around 99/00... It sure woulda been nice to see this kinda stuff on a TNT2/early geforce back then... sheesh...

http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/depart/oct99/bungie13.html

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=178704

Nephilim
08-21-03, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by sheeps
Because the xbox is devoted to gaming.. all it's ram and such is all poured into gaming.. all the computer, that is the xbox, is running is a game..

When you're playing it on your PC, you have an OS running in the background, other background programs running in the OS.. it eats up our precious ram..

It's also running at a much lower resolution than your PC.

The Baron
08-21-03, 09:36 AM
TVs also don't have a refresh rate of 75Hz. NTSC is quite a low res and is only 29.94FPS (if I recall correctly).

ragejg
08-21-03, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Nephilim
It's also running at a much lower resolution than your PC.

IMO that's a valid statement, but a moot point... as (in the XBox's case) poly counts are higher, and AF and AA are used somewhat frivelously, as well as other effects (blurring)... the hit caused by those effects IMO is akin to the hit caused by a higher resolution... And though there is a 29.4fps cap on ntsc tv's, games AFAIK are not designed to run at that framerate... ie: get into heavy combat in halo in a dimly lit area... turn quickly.... do you see screen tearing or frame lag? No. If it was a static 29.4fps you would see that stuff... but with the game running at a higher framerate, the smoothness is all there... yer just GETTING 29.4fps of it...

I'm only on my 2nd cup o joe this morning. so if that didnt make sense... welllll, I'll come back and clean it up.... :rolleyes: :D

Vash
08-21-03, 12:30 PM
if those screenies are indeed old, then IMO they're beautiful...

They are pretty...the textures are lower res than we're used to looking at, but they're still good-looking screenshots. Seeing stuff like this in the TNT days would have been awesome, but the face lift it got when it went to the Xbox was very nice, and what's coming to the PC is definitely not a slouch in the graphics department. Originally, Halo was going to involve on-the-fly terrain generation and actually have the whole Halo to play on (I think) - that would have been awesome. :)

Can't wait for this...it's gonna be the first new bench that I'm going to break in my new hardware with. :afro2: