PDA

View Full Version : frame redrawing?

aeternus
08-19-03, 07:58 PM
Alright i've had this problem for awhile now on different cards, different operating systems (XP and 98) and even different machines. So when i purchased my 5600 ultra i was again disappointed that the problem still existed. Basically everytime i pan left or right in a game Stuttering for the lack of a better term will occur. For example, in UT2003 I'll load up Anatelus and just hold down the left or right arrow key to spin the player and this effect of what seems like frames being redrawn 3 or for times while im spinning makes the objects, walls look like this vibrating blur. It's most noticeable in UT but it happens in all other games too. Looking at the framerate the fps is right where it should be for the card, it is not choppiness due to a heavy load being processed. I've tried everything to isolate the problem, From removing hardware components, messing with vsync and refresh rates, killing backround process that arent needed and nothing seems to help. So im begging anyone out there who has any suggestions or solutions to post it here. thanks : )

CaptNKILL
08-19-03, 10:23 PM
Cant say Ive ever heard of anything like this...

You dont mean tearing do you? That happens when Vsync isnt enabled. Its when you see parts of a few different frames, because the monitor isnt synchronized with the frames.

Other than Vsync, I have no clue what you could be experiencing with "frame redrawing".
:confused:

aeternus
08-19-03, 10:37 PM
no there is only tearing with vsync off. it's both tearing and the redrawing (vibrating)

yoladude
08-20-03, 01:03 AM
can u list complete system specs? most notably, ram and operating system.

Greg
08-20-03, 05:09 AM
I may have experienced the same thing. Its kind of like a stutter that is not related to frame rate or vsync. It appears with horizontal pans. I get it most while sniping in 'Operation Flashpoint'. I have not investigated it to know when/why it happens. Running FX5800 here. I don't recall it occuring with Geforce3.

aeternus
08-20-03, 06:35 AM
Athlon XP 2400+
ASUS A7V8X Mobo
512 MB PC2100 ram
Chaintech Geforce FX 5600 ULTRA
SB Audigy Gamer
40x12X48 CDRW
60 Gig Wester Digital
10 Gig Maxtor
NEC Multisync 77F
Windows XP Home Edition

I also have win 98 on a dual boot but i hardly use it now. The same problem still occurs. It also was happening on my radeon 8500. It's very frustrating :/

saturnotaku
08-20-03, 07:14 AM
What are the specs of your hard drives? Are they 5400 or 7200 RPM? Are they ATA 33/66/100/133? On which drive do you have your games installed? I would assume the 10 gig drive is not more than ATA33. If that's where you have your games installed, that might be the problem. Put yourgames on the fastest drive in your system and see if that doesn't help.

aeternus
08-20-03, 07:59 PM
yeah they are on the WD 60 gig which is a 7200 ata100. I thought that might be the case too but when im panning there's no activity with the Hard Drive LED. Although i've had this hard drive for my last two systems. so it's the only thing thats stayed consistent with my upgrades. I'd hate to buy a new one and be wrong though :/