PDA

View Full Version : Boot CD BIOS Flashing

StealthHawk
08-20-03, 07:48 AM
Would I be correct in assuming that using a CD to flash a motherboard BIOS is just as viable and safe as using a floppy disk?

Is there anything special that would be required here?

The Baron
08-20-03, 10:18 AM
Oft have I wondered this. I think it might depend on where the IDE controller is. If it's a RAID controller and the chipset is not integrated into the southbridge, it's probably not a good idea. If it's like an nF2 or most of your normal Via boards and the IDE controller is integrated in the southbridge, you'd probably be peachy. I don't know. I'd try it, but I'm a pansy. :D

PsychoSy
08-20-03, 03:38 PM
It's a safe bet as along as your CD-ROM is on the default IDE channels.
I wouldn't risk it if the CD-ROM is on a RAID controller.

CaptNKILL
08-20-03, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by PsychoSy
It's a safe bet as along as your CD-ROM is on the default IDE channels.
I wouldn't risk it if the CD-ROM is on a RAID controller.
Heh, never heard of anyone putting CD-ROMS on RAID. What would happen if you had 2 identical CD-ROMS on RAID and put 2 copies of the same CD in the drives, would you be able to pull twice as much data off in the same amount of time? :p

PsychoSy
08-21-03, 06:53 PM
Heh, never heard of anyone putting CD-ROMS on RAID.

Neither have I...but I guess some people are...uhm, rather eccentric! :p

Malfunction
08-21-03, 07:21 PM
I had to do this lastnight actually. I went way too agressive on my memory settings trying to push the limits. It don't like going below 2.5-3-3-5...lol. I forgot what the erroe was but it required I flash the BIOS over again.

So I tried with the CD at first, no luck. System would start reading CD then was unable to flash. Kinda thought I was headed up shiot creek without a paddle ya know? So I went over to the POS laptop that always seems to be there when you need it and copied the P4C800ED.ROM to a freeking floppy.

Put the floppy in after a had to Clear CMOS again (because all I would get was a black screen if I didn't) and it found it, then flashed the BIOS successfully. Now I don't know if it was because the CD-Rom I am using is an old one that I had laying around and was suppose to take out since I pretty much only use external devices anymore (ie External Plextor CD-RW). I hadn't used it in a very long time although it installed XP ok. Beats me what happend but it didn't work out for me last night when I tried using it alone. Had to rely on legacy tech to save my arse...lol. ;)

Hope you have better luck with it than I. I ended up updating the BIOS once again as Asus has a newer one then I had previously installed: P4CED10.ROM (http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4C800-E%20Deluxe&Type=BIOS)

I also ended up using the AFUDOS BIOS utility to flash it as well. Doesn't seem like floppy drives are ever gonna fade out...lol.

Peace,

:D

StealthHawk
08-21-03, 08:22 PM
Well, that story sucks. I really don't want to install a floppy drive just to flash my BIOS :(

The Baron
08-21-03, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Well, that story sucks. I really don't want to install a floppy drive just to flash my BIOS :( That's why Abit's FlashMenu is a beautiful thing.

saturnotaku
08-21-03, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Well, that story sucks. I really don't want to install a floppy drive just to flash my BIOS :(

You got a FAT32 partition somewhere on your machine? If you do, just copy the files to that, boot from a Windows 98/ME CD and flash from there.

PsychoSy
08-22-03, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
That's why Abit's FlashMenu is a beautiful thing.

Yeah, beautifully useless if you're staring at the BootBlock screen! :angel: :p