PDA

View Full Version : Some problems with FX5900

pdpw
08-20-03, 07:18 AM
Hi all, my first post here :)

I did mail leadtek about this first problem but i have had no reply from them, and i mailed them almost 2 weeks ago :(

First prob:
When i use AA in my games, the games sometimes freeze (not crashing), anything from 1 to 15 seconds then the game goes back to normal.

Here's a test some of you can do who own a FX5900. Set your gfx for your game to 4xAA, launch your game and start playing, then hit print screen and see if your game freezes, it could be anything from 1 sec to 15 secs.

I tested this FX5900 on 2 pc's and it's the same on both, but yet the ti4400 i have doesn't have this freeze problem when using AA.

Second problem:
Dunno if this is the flashing or flickering what ppl are talking about ? But when i use my 3D glasses, they will flash every 5 to 15 seconds, also the screen like quivers, or shakes. I dont notice any flickering when i dont use my 3d glasses, but maybe its because i have my contrast and brightness quite high, but when i use 3D mode the screen looks much darker.

Has anyone else got this prob who uses 3D glasses with an FX5900 ?

Oh, and again the ti4400 doesnt have this problem, i also tried all the stereo drivers available and none of them work right with the fx5900 :(

thx for your help in advanced :)

pdpw
08-20-03, 07:42 AM
A quick example about this freezing problem:

Tests on nascar racing 2003 d3d and openGL:

Colour Tests.
1600x1200-32 bit, 85hz bit, 4xAA, 4xAniso - if i press print screen whilst in the game it will cause the game to freeze for about 15 seconds, then the game goes back to normal.

1600x1200-"16 bit", 85hz, 4xAA, 4xAniso - if i press print screen whilst in the game it will cause the game to freeze for about 2-3 seconds, then the game goes back to normal.

AA Tests.
1600x1200-32 bit, 85hz bit, 4xAA, 4xAniso - if i press print screen whilst in the game it will cause the game to freeze for about 15 seconds, then the game goes back to normal.

1600x1200-32 bit, 85hz bit, "NOxAA", 4xAniso - if i press print screen whilst in the game nothing happens. The game will NOT freeze, it will just continue to run smooth.

Resolution Tests.
1024x768-32 bit, 85hz bit, 4xAA, 4xAniso - if i press print screen whilst in the game it will cause the game to freeze for about 5 seconds, then the game goes back to normal.

1024x768-16 bit, 85hz bit, 4xAA, 4xAniso - if i press print screen whilst in the game it will cause the game to freeze for about 1-2 seconds, then the game goes back to normal.

I have the same problem on every game i have tried, but nascar is the worst of all with this freezing problem. On some games i have got rid of the freezing by lowering the resolution or setting colour to 16 bit.

GravY
08-20-03, 09:41 AM
I say quit hitting your Print screen button..

pdpw
08-20-03, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by GravY
I say quit hitting your Print screen button..
lol, hitting print screen is a way to test if a game might freeze when you're playing it.

I first came accross this freezing problem when in the middle of an online race at NR2003, when my game froze for about 15 seconds (without hitting print screen). It just so happens that hitting print screen does the same thing as if your HD decided to do something whilst playing a game.

So, hitting print screen isn't the problem.

The problem is freezing when using AA with the FX5900, maybe i didn't make the problem clear enough in my other 2 posts ?

GravY
08-20-03, 11:58 PM
are you working on a fresh install of your OS??

pdpw
08-21-03, 07:52 AM
are you working on a fresh install of your OS??
Done that already :)

I have also got latest bios for m/b and all latest drivers for m/b, sound etc and i have also tried around 12 different det drivers, but the problem is still there.

Plus i have tried this gfx card on 2 totally different pc's and it has the same freeze problem on both.

GravY
08-21-03, 09:14 AM
what other games do you have that crash? if I have one that you have I will test it out on my end..

The Baron
08-21-03, 09:16 AM
*gasp*

P4S8X

pdpw
08-21-03, 09:47 PM
what other games do you have that crash? if I have one that you have I will test it out on my end..
Every single game i have tried, ie NR2003, F1C, Midnight club, Chaser, Virtcong, vice city, C&C generals, Cossacks etc etc etc.

But you have a ti4600 ? because i have a ti4400 aswell and everything works fine on that.

pdpw
08-21-03, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
*gasp*

P4S8X
Yes i know, it's crap. Thats going to be my next upgrade when i get a p4 800mhz fsb. But the mobo isnt causing this freeze problem because i have tried the gfx card on 2 different pc's and the other pc had a shuttle m/b (via chipset).

GravY
08-22-03, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by pdpw
Every single game i have tried, ie NR2003, F1C, Midnight club, Chaser, Virtcong, vice city, C&C generals, Cossacks etc etc etc.

But you have a ti4600 ? because i have a ti4400 aswell and everything works fine on that.

I haevn't changed my sig, I have a Albatron 5900pv in my rig..

you might have a bum card..

pdpw
08-22-03, 08:18 AM
you might have a bum card..
That could be true, it might be dodgy ?

But i have read lots of hardware forums and it seems quite a lot of ppl have problems with stuttering or freezing.
It's hard to say if they have the same problem as me, because everyone describes the problems differently and others have fixed the problems on the games they play. I also have fixed a lot of freezing probs by lowering the res, or running in 16 bit etc.

This freezing prob i have isn't a major issue as it doesn't happen like every 10 mins or so. I could play a game for 2hrs then it may freeze or i could play a game which may freeze once a week.
But it is realy annoying, because whilst im playing my games (online) i am expecting them to freeze so i cant concentrate on my games properly lol, and you can always guaruntee the damn thing will freeze at the wrong time.

I have also had games running at 1fps for about 10 to 15 seconds, then the game goes back to normal. Also in MOH spearhead, everything is ghosted out (foggy white colour).

I dont really think nvidia tested these fx cards properly ? Oh yeah, it runs 3dmark 2003 without any probs lol, so then it must work fine with all games ;)

ShadowKnyght
08-24-03, 02:26 AM
Sounds more like you machine is just to slow - how much ram do you have?

How much spare HD space?

How fast are your HD's?

What is the speed of your CPU?

How old is you MB?

Mine hesitates for a fraction of a second and I have a reasonably high spec machine - so a slow one would amplify the effect!

pdpw
08-24-03, 09:03 AM
Check my sig ;)

pdpw
08-24-03, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by ShadowKnyght
Mine hesitates for a fraction of a second
Thats all i needed to know :) I also have lots of games which only pause for a split second, but i also have lots of games which actually freeze for up to 15 seconds.

Now that must be something to do with the FX card ? because i can test the same games on my TI4400 and they dont freeze.

Xguy
08-24-03, 12:45 PM
Hmmm I did that test and you're right it is freezing for a few seconds 2 or 3 in my case , I don't think sytem power has to do anything with though cause my system is pretty up there :

see my sig I don't think this is a slow system do you?