PDA

View Full Version : Do you use an SSD?

Kain
10-11-11, 02:05 PM
Do you have an SSD installed in your computer?

musman
10-11-11, 02:40 PM
I do, and I will not go back to HDD.

Roliath
10-11-11, 06:00 PM
yep, quite a few

Logical
10-11-11, 06:25 PM
Not yet but planning on getting one soon. I could never justify the price/performance/storage space up untill now.

AthlonXP1800
10-11-11, 08:50 PM
No it not worth get one if you are heavy user.

I thought about buy one months ago but after read on Overclockers UK forum with horrible reports from customers with many failed SSDs occured after weekly backups, heavy gaming usage or use lots of apps daily so current SSDs are not very reliable with heavy multitasking usage.

SSDs with MLC Flash use upto 10,000 write cycles per sector and SLC use upto 100,000 write cycles per sector, these are suitable to light usage on tablets and laptops.

HP, Hynix, Samsung and others are now developing Flash NAND successor called ReRAM that are 10 times faster than 22nm NAND, able to double the memory space cheaper than NAND, use half power consumption than NAND and can write more than 1 trillion write cycles per sector. SSDs with ReRAM will launch in 2013, it will replace both Flash NAND SSDs and HDDs as ReRAM now far more reliable than either MLC and SLC Flash NAND and it finally can be use for very heavy users.

Cant wait to buy maybe 3x 2TB ReRAM SSDs to get rid of noisy HDDs in 2013. (nana2)

Rakeesh
10-11-11, 10:39 PM
No it not worth get one if you are heavy user.

I thought about buy one months ago but after read on Overclockers UK forum with horrible reports from customers with many failed SSDs occured after weekly backups, heavy gaming usage or use lots of apps daily so current SSDs are not very reliable with heavy multitasking usage.

SSDs with MLC Flash use upto 10,000 write cycles per sector and SLC use upto 100,000 write cycles per sector, these are suitable to light usage on tablets and laptops.

HP, Hynix, Samsung and others are now developing Flash NAND successor called ReRAM that are 10 times faster than 22nm NAND, able to double the memory space cheaper than NAND, use half power consumption than NAND and can write more than 1 trillion write cycles per sector. SSDs with ReRAM will launch in 2013, it will replace both Flash NAND SSDs and HDDs as ReRAM now far more reliable than either MLC and SLC Flash NAND and it finally can be use for very heavy users.

Cant wait to buy maybe 3x 2TB ReRAM SSDs to get rid of noisy HDDs in 2013. (nana2)

Honestly most SSD users are heavy users. I am and I've been using SSD's for years.

If you're really worried about short MTBF, just get 8GB of ram (anything more is a waste) and then disable your paging file. That will reduce the number of writes by a huge margin.

ICE2K
10-15-11, 01:31 PM
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj16/Cocolinaaaa/Big%20Smilies/thinking.gif

Vanzagar
10-24-11, 09:35 PM
hell ya, pc and laptop...

jcrox
10-24-11, 10:55 PM
Nope...

1st time I went to buy 1 I came home with a new Nike Driver

2nd time I went to buy 1 I traded in the Nike Driver and came home with an R11 Driver

3rd time I went to buy 1 I came home with new TaylorMade Burner 2.0 set of irons

Still need an R11 3 wood and 5 wood at about $250 a piece... it could be awhile

mullet
10-25-11, 08:28 AM
SSD = best money ever spent.

mcolbourn
10-25-11, 10:28 AM
Well I had on OCZ vertex fail on me after a year but I RMA'ed it and got my M4. When I got the Vertex back it went straight into my laptop. I don't think I could go back to a mechanical drive as my main drive again.

grey_1
10-25-11, 10:41 AM
Well I had on OCZ vertex fail on me after a year but I RMA'ed it and got my M4. When I got the Vertex back it went straight into my laptop. I don't think I could go back to a mechanical drive as my main drive again.

This

jcrox
10-25-11, 02:47 PM
SSD = best money ever spent.

300yd drive down the middle of the fairway > SSD :p

mullet
10-25-11, 04:39 PM
Making fun of people dressing funny and chasing a little white ball > SSD

I agree.

Sean_W
10-26-11, 03:07 AM
Yeah as soon as I can afford it, I'm buying an 120Gb SSD for Windows. I put my 60Gb Vertex 2E back using Linux because I couldn't stand my old 80Gb HDD slowness.