PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4S reviews

Pages : [1] 2

knghtwhosaysni
10-12-11, 12:52 PM
http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/10/iphone4s/
http://www.macworld.com/article/162944/2011/10/iphone_4s_its_a_sure_thing.html
http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/11/iphone-4s-review/
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/12/technology/personaltech/iphone-4s-conceals-sheer-magic-pogue.html?_r=1&ref=technology

I didn't really pay attention to the keynote or anything, so pretty much all I knew about was it had the iPad's dual core processor and it came in white. But after reading NYT and wired, it sounds like they both love Siri. And considering how it speeds up the things I do most often on my 3G (calling, texting, alarms, maps), it seems pretty cool.

six_storm
10-12-11, 01:38 PM
I will be purchasing one in the next two months for sure.

AthlonXP1800
10-16-11, 05:35 AM
iphone 4S get torned!!!!

http://blog.gsmarena.com/iphone-4s-gets-torn-down-reveals-slightly-bigger-battery-and-sony-camera-sensor/

What inside iphone 4S?

512MB RAM
Sony camera sensor
800MHz dual core A5 CPU

It is surprised that iphone 4S didnt have 1GB, it has same memory as iphone 4, Galaxy S II got double the memory and has superior camera than iphone 4S. It seemed iphone 4S is a waste of money.

Maverick123w
10-16-11, 10:10 AM
512MB is plenty if the software is good.

Hardware specs mean nothing in general. What customers want is a great overall package.
Specs are only important in the Android world. There a device has no identity and needs to set it apart from all those other uninteresting Android devices by having something special like a highly clocked Dual Core, huuuuge but impractical 4.x" display, LTE for certain regions or providers, tons of RAM and so on...

you're the first iPhone user I've ever seen that didn't want a ~4" screen.

|MaguS|
10-16-11, 11:25 AM
I'm happy with my 4.5" screen...

Q
10-17-11, 10:42 AM
If a phone was just a phone, the smallest that you could hold would be the best size. Phones are used more for content consumption than actual phone calls for most users today. Do you see people finding the smallest TV at home for consumption?

The "right size" screen is the biggest that you can comfortably use that still fits in your pockets. My HTC Incredible fits my hand well, but I'm not a big guy. My boss can barely use my phone but he's very comfortable with his 4" screen. Since he has bigger hands he also has bigger pants with bigger pockets.

The question is are there enough "larger" people for Apple to dedicate a separate product line and do it in a way that "is innovative and for everyone!" and doesn't give any credit to the other phone makers.

AthlonXP1800
10-17-11, 10:57 AM
iPhone 4S vs. Samsung Galaxy S II Drop Test

elKxgsrJFhw

Thought Steve Jobs told last year that the next iphone will have better back case and glass to prevented glass smashed when dropped, Apple never learned!

Airbrushkid
10-17-11, 11:06 AM
Well I never dropped any of my iPhones. But I do believe in taking better care of the items I buy, not like a lot of people out there.

Riptide
10-17-11, 12:31 PM
^
Are you serious? I lol'd @ that. For reals.

ViN86
10-18-11, 10:38 AM
http://www.pcworld.com/article/242044/early_iphone_4s_problems.html

According to Apple, the iPhone 4S is selling very, very well. But not everyone is having a smooth experience with Apple's latest handset. A handful of issues are causing problems for a subset of users.

Here's a rundown on some early iPhone 4S issues:

Siri Not Working

On Apple's support forums (and on Twitter), users clam that Siri, the iPhone 4S's virtual assistant, won't work. When asking a question, these users receive an error message saying that Siri "cannot connect to the network."

To fix this issue, Business Insider suggests first turning Siri off in the iPhone's settings, then going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings, and then turning Siri back on. Others say that enabling data roaming does the trick (although this can incur extra charges if you're overseas). But there's currently no sure fix for users who are having trouble--perhaps this is why Siri is still labeled "beta."

Slow Sprint Data

Some Sprint users are complaining about slow data speeds on the iPhone 4S. One user claims that the issue is iPhone-specific, and reports faster speeds on a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II (with 4G turned off), while another finds similar speed issues with Sprint's Evo 3D.

But this issue doesn't affect all Sprint users--Gizmodo's spot test actually finds that Sprint's network allows for faster downloads than Verizon (but not AT&T), and the fastest uploads of all three carriers. However, Gizmodo's survey of iPhone 4S users finds Sprint has the slowest average speeds. So far, Sprint hasn't addressed the matter. Hopefully this is just a temporary glitch and not a long-term network congestion issue.

App Issues

While not hardware-related, the launch of iOS 5 has caused problems for some apps. Google Voice, for example, had to be pulled from the App Store due to crashes. Instapaper now has problems with offline functionality for users whose devices are near capacity because of the way iOS 5 clears cached data. (That issue may end up affecting lots of apps with offline components, according to Instapaper developer, Marco Arment.) Most app-related issues should be fixed eventually, but it's unclear what Apple intends to do for apps such as Instapaper.

Apparently Apple didn't anticipate the Siri traffic for their servers (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/news/telecom/iPhone-4S-Siris-popularity-causing-connectivity-issues/articleshow/10398135.cms). I guess this explains (although it doesn't justify) why Siri is restricted to the iPhone 4S only. But you have to be able to anticipate your own sales. Furthermore, you have to be willing to dish out the hardware to sustain a product/service.

You overcharge as it is for the hardware, the least you could do is provide the required backend for the service, Apple. Heaven forbid you cut into those profit margins... :|

six_storm
10-18-11, 12:19 PM
Yup, Apple overcharges big time with the iPhone 4S. In other news, the new Moto RAZR will debut at an affordable $299! :rolleyes:

Everybody I know who bought a 4S has had nothing but good things to say so far. Siri is spot on compared to Google's voice software (from friends who have owned both phones) and iOS 5 is really awesome (IMO).

|MaguS|
10-18-11, 01:15 PM
Yup, Apple overcharges big time with the iPhone 4S. In other news, the new Moto RAZR will debut at an affordable $299! :rolleyes:

Everybody I know who bought a 4S has had nothing but good things to say so far. Siri is spot on compared to Google's voice software (from friends who have owned both phones) and iOS 5 is really awesome (IMO).

Hey appletard... that's the same price as the 32GB iPhone 4S, the Droid Razr comes with 32GB of storage... DUH. The difference is that with the Droid Razr you get new updated hardware and LTE... on the iPhone 4S you get old hardware and a ****ty voice program.

DiscipleDOC
10-18-11, 01:45 PM
Ok...let's not turn this into a pissing match...

six_storm
10-18-11, 02:52 PM
Hey appletard... that's the same price as the 32GB iPhone 4S, the Droid Razr comes with 32GB of storage... DUH. The difference is that with the Droid Razr you get new updated hardware and LTE... on the iPhone 4S you get old hardware and a ****ty voice program.

It all depends on what you need in a phone. I don't need 32GB of storage, nor do I need a quad-dual-tri-core CPU with 29912991TB of RAM. ;) I stream all of my music, video and pictures so I don't need a ton of local storage. Also 4G isn't a standard like 3G is at the moment, and 3G is fast enough for what I do on my phone. Plus Wifi hotspots are everywhere I go. Heck the iPhone 4 is plenty for me; it's a nice, fast phone with an awesome OS. The 4S is just a small step up with the A5 built in, I'll take that for $200.

Not trying to turn this into a pissing match, sorry. :o

ViN86
10-18-11, 03:07 PM

My comment wasn't referring directly to the iPhone 4S price, more of their general business model for large profit margins on their hardware. It's cute how you come to their rescue, though. :wonder:

Voice recognition needs to be fast and snappy, I'd say the main reason for it to be 4S exclusive is the faster hardware. I'm really interested to see performance comparisons to the "hacked" version on the previous generation hardware.

If you think that Apple doesn't have the back end for this, then what do you think would happen if a smaller company would launch such a thing? Assuming they would reach the same sales numbers of course.

I'm not saying they don't have the back end for it, I'm saying they're not appropriating enough of it. Big difference.

And there's no reason they can't run Siri on older hardware. They're just trying to improve their sales.

http://lifehacker.com/5850152/

iPhone developer Steven Troughton-Smith managed to port Siri to iPhone 4 as shown in the above video, but Apple is not currently authenticating Siri commands from iPhone 4. This means that you can certainly install Siri on your iPhone 4 but the digital personal assistant will not respond to your inquiries.

Tech bloggers are speculating that Apple may wish to only allow Siri to connect to their servers using the new iPhone 4S even though there is no technical reason that iPhone 4 and iPad 2 should not be able to use the feature. Perhaps Apple will introduce Siri to these devices once the 4S has been available for a few months.

Nice to see the love Apple shows for its loyal fans. :rolleyes:

I hope they do release it to older phones as well (since it is a beta atm). But this is Apple we are talking about, so who knows wtf they'll do...

ViN86
10-18-11, 04:23 PM
For now, there is no point in releasing Siri on the iPad. Most of it's features are for mobile phones on the go. For example when your phone is in your pocket and you just talk to it, for texting or taking calls.
The iPad is something you use at home, the need for voice control is limited right now.
Maybe later when productivity tasks will be more of a topic. Like dictating a text in Pages or stuff like that.

Sure some Apple doubters are coming up with reasons why it's only available on the 4S but I don't think money is the reason. Performance might me too sluggish on older hardware and the iPad doesn't yet go well with the commands or Siri's current typical usage method.
I would really like to see a performance comparison between the two iPhone generations. And also I'd like to know what gets send back to the servers. I haven't looked for it online but that would be really interesting. Stuff like this is very, very demanding. If some of the voice recognition happens locally, then I can completely understand why it's only supported on the fastest hardware right now.

The blocking of request from other, non official devices is logical. You don't support something that is not official and just hacked by some guy.

However, I can also understand the money reason. A lot of companies are working like this. When Mercedes releases a groundbreaking new feature, they'll start offering it in the S Class first.
But I don't think finding the reason for the 4S exclusivity is that easy in this case.

My understanding is that the majority of the Siri features (i.e. interpretation) are run on Apple's servers. Then the interpreted message is sent back to the phone for events to be stored locally. So naturally they can only accommodate so many people, and adding support for iPhone 4 would require substantial hardware upgrades on their side. My gripe was mainly that they can barely accommodate the current 4S users, which I thought was pathetic.

Now I could be wrong, and the majority of the interpretation could be done on the phone, in which case I guess I can understand why it's 4S exclusive, but honestly the iPhone 4 isn't that much slower. Besides it's been demonstrated that Siri runs fine on iPhone 4, so I doubt that's the case.

It's the same as my complaint about DICE when they released BC2 but were surprised when their servers were overwhelmed lol.

arioch21
10-19-11, 03:40 PM
I returned my Galaxy SII for the 4s, small minor issues with android turned me off from the phone with my everyday needs also finding a headset to work was one of the main thngs, i blame samsung for this im not a huge fan of bluetooth headsets which seemed to be the only ones with fuctional buttons, but pressing play makes android play 2 different media apps? one with my music the other with podcasts. Also If I took a picture while music was playing it would stop the music, couldnt turn shutter sound off. I also had several apps force closing on me, including text messaging until I rebooted my phone or cleared the ram. I went to forums and such but in all honestly I just didnt have the time and didnt feel like I need to put in effort to to fix things that should just work out the box. It all just became annoying so I just went back to iphone and all is well.

DiscipleDOC
10-20-11, 08:42 AM
I love my SII. This is a very fast phone, and it's the sleekest phone that I've owned. I had an iPhone and returned it for an android phone, and I have not looked back. :)

Revs
10-20-11, 09:26 AM
I hhhhhhhate iTunes and that's by main beef with iPhone's, but I had many others ('no service' problems, etc). I'm still getting on with my Desire HD and Froyo and wouldn't go back if you paid me.

Godda give Apple the thumbs-up on classy looking hardware, though. And the screen is yummy.

Hogrider
10-21-11, 09:59 AM
hckrig2BwNY&feature=youtu.be

:rofl

Smee
11-01-11, 09:23 AM
Indeed. Anyone dropping an Apple product deserves to get it scratched. That's just not something you do.

Boy, you two are fuxing brilliant.. Following your logic, why buy a car with seat belts and airbags?, I've never been in an accident.

Bearclaw
11-01-11, 09:58 AM
I hhhhhhhate iTunes and that's by main beef with iPhone's, but I had many others ('no service' problems, etc). I'm still getting on with my Desire HD and Froyo and wouldn't go back if you paid me.

Godda give Apple the thumbs-up on classy looking hardware, though. And the screen is yummy.

You know you don't need iTunes, right? I haven't used it in a year.

:)

Hogrider
11-02-11, 06:56 AM
My wife's Android phone is acting really screwy and my Samsung Vibrant ain't exactly trouble free. She wants an iphone 4s and to be honest I wouldn't mind having one either. Will have to see how badly T Mobile hits us for early termination...

Hogrider
11-03-11, 08:21 PM
Screw it, T Mobile wants $200 from us for each phone to terminate the contract. I ain't paying $400 just to get out. We'll either have to wait till February when the cost will be $100 per phone to tell them to f off or July and it won't cost anything.

nV`andrew
11-05-11, 05:38 PM
I switched from android to a 4s and like it a lot, my battery life is pretty terrible though and I don't even use it that much. Wonder if I got a dud or if iphone battery is just equal to my android.