PDA

View Full Version : Changing an Athlon Xp from one board to a new one

Tuork
08-20-03, 08:38 PM
As you might have noticed in my posts throughout other sections, I recently aquired a new motherboard and I'm preparing to set it up.

Being the meticulous bastard I am, I have a new doubt:
I have and Athlon xp 1600+.
When I change the processor from my old board to the new, is it necessary to apply a new layer of that weird gel thingy to prevent overheating?

For reference:
old board: m810
new: FIC AN19e with KT400 chipset

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Malfunction
08-20-03, 09:13 PM
Yes.

Don't take a chance and skimp on doing something so minute that might cause a problem later down the road. Spread a nice thin layer evenly across the CPU Die. Use an old License or Credit... something that won't be abrasive, but flexible and not magnetic.

I find it sad that some suggest people to do things around here without laying down precautions first. Always take precautions, if you muff up your hardware because of someone's advice, what's it to them? You took the chance, they didn't. That is why you take precautions. :D

Peace,

:D

Tuork
08-20-03, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the info. Now I gotta get my hands on some of that gel thingy....
hmmm...

Any idea of places where they might sell it?

(Places to buy computer parts are very limited where I live)

Rytr
08-20-03, 10:38 PM
'Artic Silver III' is one of the most popular, you can get it at several on-line vendors. Any computer store should carry thermal compound, usually a white to light grey looking paste. Radio Shack Thermal Compound is what I would recommend if you need something right away and Artic Silver II or III is not readily available in your area.

If you can wait, order Artic Silver III from from SVC, newegg, KDComputer, or other good on-line vendor.

BTW, I use a utility razor blade (not double bladed!) to put a paper thin coat of ASIII on the processor chip. Avoid putting too much as it can actually act as an insulator and increase your CPU temps. For a good explanation how to apply ASIII go to their website...good easy to follow instructions with pics, even! :)

Dazz
08-21-03, 07:04 PM
Yeap i am using AS3 myself great stuff lasts a fair while too, infact i am still on my first tube :D

digitalwanderer
08-21-03, 07:12 PM
I'd recomend Artic Ceramica if'n you're going to be buying some. It's non-conductive, so if you miss a bit you won't fry your card. ;)

I've heard great things about Nanotherm's newest TMP or TMC stuff or whatever, and I'm personally a big fan of the Nanotherm BlueII since I picked up a tube about a year ago and I've just been getting great results with it.

I'm gonna check out their new stuff as soon as me old tube-o-blue runs out... ;)