PDA

View Full Version : Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Bios Temp Variances

slappy
08-21-03, 12:06 AM
Hello,

Why does my bios report a CPU Temp of 48C and Asus PC Probe report a Temp of 37C?

PC Probe is crap? "I read that somewhere".

Thanks,
slappy

Malfunction
08-21-03, 12:09 AM
Actually, I read that the BIOS temp monitor is crap and Asus Probe was more accurate.

Go figure...lol

Peace,

:)

Malfunction
08-21-03, 12:11 AM
By the way, Asus Probe is saying the same thing Nvidia's Temp monitor is saying the ambient temp is on my system.

If that helps any...

Peace,

:)

slappy
08-21-03, 12:47 AM
I have the same mobo and processor as you do Malfunction. Right now it is running @ 3.08 with the AI Overclock Tuner set to 10% Overclock.

Stock cooling with 2 extra fans (intake - exaust) and an Enermax 465 Whisper Power Supply. Haven't actually taken a full load reading yet but seems to me that it will increase the cpu temp reading by about 10 to 15 degrees. Idle temp is usually about 37C.

If I was to manually overclock wut would be the best settings to achieve a speed of 3.2? I already tried a 20% (which ran @ 3.36 overclock but it hangs my system after about 10min. I use 512meg of OCZ PC3200 ram. Might need to ditch the stock cooler with something a little more robust im thinkin' if im going to push higher speeds. Any idea what the Turbo mode does?

Later,
slappy

Malfunction
08-21-03, 03:34 AM
Turbo Mode is some sort of performance increase that affects the chipset in a positive way. Amazingly, the performance increase can be from 1 - 4 FPS!!! :D Not bad at all.

This is what you are gonna wanna do to o/c that system. *Make sure you pay close attention to your system/system temps.

Go into BIOS:

Head over to the Advanced Tab. Select Jumper Free Configuration. Set AI Overclock Tuner to Manual.

It should be at a default: 200 Mhz FSB

Now, the 2.8Ghz 800FSB CPU has a x14 Multiplier. This will never change unless you have a unlocked one like some lucky bastages around here do...lol. ;) In order to get to 3.2Ghz, you need to up the FSB to 230. 230 * 14 = 3.220Ghz.

That isn't it though. Most PC3200 is only good for 435Mhz. At a 230Mhz FSB and a Auto Settings for DDR Frequency set to a default (400), you have the ratio set at 1:1 meaning your trying to run your memory at 2 x 230Mhz = 460Mhz. That is more than likely not gonna happen...lol, would if you had PC-3700 or PC-4000.

So, you are gonna have to set the DRAM Frequency to 320. This does not mean 320Mhz. What 320 means is a 5:4 ratio (aka Divider). 266 is a 4:3 ratio. This is how you calculate your DRAM Frequency using the ratio's:

230Mhz FSB / 5 * 4 = 184 | 184 * 2 = 368Mhz which is what your DDR will be running at. Since your DDR is running at a less aggressive Mhz, your voltage for it should be fine. Only when it exceeds spec (whether it be timmings or speed) would you need to increase voltage.

That is all you need to do to get to this point. If you are successful (Which you should be), I will show you how to tweak your memory timmings for optimal performance. :cool:

Peace,

:D

Malfunction
08-21-03, 05:24 PM
Hey Slappy,

I have some more advice if you hadn't done this already. In your BIOS options, go to the Power Menu. You should notice the second to the last option going down is APM (Advanced Power Management) Configuration.

Enter that and Enable: System Thermal

I have mine set to: 60c/140f

I also have the Thermal Slow Clock ratio set to: 50% (incase it ever reaches 60c for some reason).

After that, you should be set/safe with any overclocking you do. 3.2Ghz isn't very high for a 2.8Ghz. Infact, the change in temp is so subtle... like around 1 to 2c.

If you are to go any higher than 230FSB, make sure you take care of this first.

Be safe, or be sorry... ;)

Peace,

slappy
08-21-03, 10:47 PM
You da' man Malfunction...

Been running rock solid now for over 2 hours. Idle temp is about 39C and load around 50C.

Should I consider getting a better cpu heat sink and fan or will the stock be enough? I leave my computer on 24/7.

Thanks again Malfunction...really appreciate it. This is exactly what message boards were made for...helping other ppl.

Cheers~

Malfunction
08-22-03, 12:25 AM
Hehe.... Thank you. ;)

I was gonna buy the Swiftech MCX4000 (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/sidewindercomputers/mcbarheat1.html), but have since decided to watercool everything (HD, CPU, NB Chip, Videocard).

I have several friends that can attest to the performance and quality of this HSF. I mean, we are talking about this thing keeping the CPU cool even if the fan is shut off. :D One of them has mounted a 92mm fan on it and his CPU stays chilly.

I am at the same temperature under load as you are with my system clocked at 3.4Ghz, about 50c. Something you may also want to consider is a NB Chip Cooler like the one from Thermaltake (http://www.thermaltake.com/products/chipset/tiger.htm). That is something I was envious about on the Abit mobo(s), since they come with active cooling on the NB Chip for their i875/i865 boards. All it will due is insure stability and possibly increase potential for a even higher o/c. :cool:

Last thing to tweak is the memory timings if you are interested. I was pretty successful with mine, although it wouldn't allow me to go any lower.

So what I did was go into the BIOS and back to Advanced settings. Navigate to Chipset Menu. Set Configure DRAM timing by SPD to: Disable

Set:

DRAM CAS# Latency to: 2.5

DRAM RAS# Precharge to: 3

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay to: 3

DRAM Precharge Delay to: 6

Performance Acceleration Mode to: Enable

Spread Spectrum to: Disable

And that is pretty much all I did.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=179142

I raised my DDR Reference Voltage to 2.75v in the Advanced>Jumper Free Configuration area. You can try for more aggressive timings but if it fails, you have to clear CMOS and start all over again, including with the overclocking. Just makes you better at it is all...lol.

Lost Circuits (http://www.lostcircuits.com/memory/ddr400/) did a review of some DDR400 and how aggressive they could go with the timings. Should be pretty good examples there, however mine were trial and error.

Give it a shot, and if it don't boot... don't panic, just clear the CMOS and start all over.

Peace,

*EDIT - I thought I was running 2.5-3-3-5, although it appears it is 2.5-3-3-6 rather. Oh well... it runs great :D Sorry for the confusion. And it was my pleasure showing you how to safely oc your system. :D

Malfunction
08-22-03, 02:05 AM
According to Intel's spec's on the Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 800FSB CPU, it is capable of running at a max of 75c/167f. That's pretty damn hot to me, and I would rather stay as far away from it as possible.

I also just discovered by accident that you can adjust the CPU/Mobo temperature thresholds in Asus Probe under the settings area. I just did this in the BIOS only, but guess it would be even better in the probe since it is running in the background anyhow. :)

To find out more details about our CPU or any other Intel CPU spec's, go here. (http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL6WT&ProcFam=483&PkgType=5882&SysBusSpd=6107&CorSpd=5467)

Enjoy,

:cool: