PDA

View Full Version : Nforce2 w/ SPDIF input?

hirschma
08-21-03, 01:23 AM
I just got a Biostar iDEQ 200N for use as an HTPC. It works great, the Dolby digital realtime encoding stuff is great, too. But it doesn't work as advertised - it can't do SPDIF input.

Is there any Nforce2 SFF or motherboard that really does do SPDIF input? For me, it's a gotta-have.

Any personal experience would be truly appreciated.

Jonathan

ricercar
08-21-03, 01:47 AM
I own 3 nForce boards; all have SP/DIF output ports.
- MSI K7N420D - coax on CNR riser
- ASUS A7N8X Deluxe - coax on motherboard
- Shuttle SN41G2 SFF - optical on front panel

EDIT - oops, you said Input. D'oh. Where does anyone advertize SP/DIF input for nForce?

hirschma
08-21-03, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by ricercar

EDIT - oops, you said Input. D'oh. Where does anyone advertize SP/DIF input for nForce?

That's the problem - Shuttle has a SPDIF input port on its new Nforce SFF, and AOPEN offers an optional SPDIF bracket with an input port, but I don't know if they _actually work_.

Biostar _did_ advertise it, but they pulled it off their site after I bitched at them. Screenshot of originally advertised spec attached.

ricercar
08-21-03, 11:55 PM
Hey! You win! My FN41 (AKA SN41G2 motherboard) manual says the SP/DIF header includes IN and OUT connections.

Shuttle.com sells an optional SP/DIF accessory for this board which is a PCI slot cover with coax IN and OUT as well as optical IN and OUT. http://us.shuttle.com/specs_access.asp?pro_id=182

hirschma
08-22-03, 01:49 AM
Looks like the SN45G also has spdif in listed in its header, which I'd assume is connected to the spdif input jack on the case.

However - does your unit have a Line In jack? I'm not hooking up multiple speakers directly to the box - going out via SPDIF - and I know that some boxes have user selectable jacks -

Looks like the SN45G with a video card is the way for me to go. Perhaps satisfaction at last. Anyone have a contact at shuttle so I can confirm that this is going to work?

Thanks.

jonathan

Originally posted by ricercar
Hey! You win! My FN41 (AKA SN41G2 motherboard) manual says the SP/DIF header includes IN and OUT connections.

Shuttle.com sells an optional SP/DIF accessory for this board which is a PCI slot cover with coax IN and OUT as well as optical IN and OUT. http://us.shuttle.com/specs_access.asp?pro_id=182