PDA

View Full Version : Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB price increasing rapidly?

Kain
10-30-11, 09:25 AM
Few months ago is was $79.99. Today is it $189.00. What is causing this?

Hogrider
10-30-11, 09:49 AM
Liberals

Starscream
10-30-11, 01:54 PM
Prices for basically ALL hard drives are up right now due to flooding in Asia.

Most hard drive prices have doubled at the distributors I deal with. Luckily I've got a bunch of stock I bought before this insanity.

bacon12
10-30-11, 02:03 PM
Yea it probably didn't seriously hurt supply that much, but it was a good reason to raise the price. I am not really worried, I have a bunch of platter drives. Over 5tb worth. My next HD purchase will be a handful of SSD drives in raid, hopefully it won't effect those prices as well.

Johnny C
10-30-11, 04:05 PM
Yeah, not a single platter drive onsale off NCIX, I'm sure the egg is the same. Good news is that price of SSD's is getting better every month.

frenchy2k1
11-01-11, 12:53 PM
Yea it probably didn't seriously hurt supply that much, but it was a good reason to raise the price. I am not really worried, I have a bunch of platter drives. Over 5tb worth. My next HD purchase will be a handful of SSD drives in raid, hopefully it won't effect those prices as well.

Supply is not immediately hurt, however, most HDD fabs in Thailand are closed and flooded right now. Some of those are the unique suppliers of parts for HDDs, so the supply will dry up. The answer from the channel has been to ration how many drives people can buy and raise prices. It may take a few months for the situation to stabilize.

SSD should be unaffected except that demand for them may increase as a result. Depending on supply, this may drive prices up or down.

john19055
11-04-11, 02:16 PM
I started to buy another samsung 1Tb ,but I seen the price and I think I have plenty to hold me over ,I paid $119 for two Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM and now one cost $139.95

nekrosoft13
11-04-11, 02:57 PM
that green that died on me, i got it for 70 some bucks couple months ago. once i get a refurb from WD i will sell it on ebay for 150+

lduguay
11-04-11, 04:32 PM
that green that died on me, i got it for 70 some bucks couple months ago. once i get a refurb from WD i will sell it on ebay for 150+

(lee) Might as well ride the wave while it's still flooded

nekrosoft13
11-05-11, 01:06 AM
true, i will be getting rid of all my green drives.

bacon12
11-05-11, 11:26 AM
I have a bunch of drives I need to sell if they are that expensive on fleabay.

FastRedPonyCar
11-07-11, 10:18 AM
I ordered another 2TB samsung F4 a couple of weeks ago for $89 shipped from newegg.

Today it's $230 :headexplode:

I was planning on re-organizing all my movies on a few of the F4's inside this thing

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817576001

I guess not anymore. :/ Maybe prices will go back down in a couple of months. From what I've read, there's really not even a real shortage on anything right now. I think it's the market's hysteria partly to blame. Kinda like during hurricane season when an oil rig gets hit, all of a sudden the media makes it out like there will be a terrible gasoline shortage/famine and all the retards buy into it and gas stations suddenly are charging a buck more per gallon.