PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade advice : GTX260 SLI-> GTX570 SLI

Vanzagar
10-31-11, 11:45 AM
Just about to order 2x GTX570 SLI, thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-Mini-HDMI-Lifetime-012-P3-1572-AR/dp/B004EYSMGW

NewEgg is out of order again for evga 570gtx cards... again...

Couple questions when upgrading from GTX260 SLI-> GTX570 SLI:

1. Should I be uninstalling all my current video drivers? If so what's the best way to clean my system of my old vid card drivers without doing a fresh install? I know when I tried to do this in the past it was a significant pain and I recall people mentioning uninstallers, but I have no clue which ones to use. Any advice on this is appreciated...

2. For the cards I ordered I heard that they don't come with the SLI bridges, if not can I use the bridge I have for my GTX260 or which bridge should I buy?

Thanks,

Vanz

ps. getting ready for Skyrim :) :)

Revs
10-31-11, 11:53 AM
What I'd do.. Uninstall drivers, shut-down and swap cards, reinstall. Your existing bridge should be fine. Enjoy the cards buddy :)

You selling the 260's? They make for perfect PhysX cards. When I upgraded from SLI's 260's I kept one and am still using it. Great cards.

Vanzagar
10-31-11, 12:01 PM
What I'd do.. Uninstall drivers, shut-down and swap cards, reinstall. Your existing bridge should be fine. Enjoy the cards buddy :)

You selling the 260's? They make for perfect PhysX cards. When I upgraded from SLI's 260's I kept one and am still using it. Great cards.

Oh hey, never thought of that, thanks Revs... My power supply is only 1000W, think it will support 2 gtx570 + gtx260 + 5 hard drives?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007

Looks like my mobo won't support 3 cards... :(
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498

Vanzagar
10-31-11, 03:57 PM
Hmmm that's cool, placed my order, then check back about 2 hours later and the card went up by about $70.00 each (now $438.38) ... nice...

Items Ordered Price
2 of: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked 1280 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 012-P3-1572-AR [Personal Computers]
Condition: New
Sold by: CircuitCity (seller profile)
$369.99

Item(s) Subtotal: $739.98
Shipping & Handling: $8.41
-----
Total Before Tax: $748.39
Sales Tax: $0.00
-----
Total for This Shipment: $748.39

Revs
11-01-11, 04:22 AM
Pity about the lack of slottage. Post pics when you've swapped ;)

frenchy2k1
11-01-11, 12:02 PM
1. Should I be uninstalling all my current video drivers? If so what's the best way to clean my system of my old vid card drivers without doing a fresh install? I know when I tried to do this in the past it was a significant pain and I recall people mentioning uninstallers, but I have no clue which ones to use. Any advice on this is appreciated...

If you are running with a recent driver (same you would use for your GTX570), then nothing is needed. Since version 270, nvidia drivers are very robust to card changes. Card would just be recognized correctly at next boot up.

If you were using an older driver, just uninstall using the nvidia installer in the control panel, then install the new one after you switch the cards.

2. For the cards I ordered I heard that they don't come with the SLI bridges, if not can I use the bridge I have for my GTX260 or which bridge should I buy?

Cards never come with SLI bridge, it's supposed to be packaged with the motherboard (as this is what sets the bridge size). Any bridge that fits (right size for the motherboard) is fine (no difference in SLI bridge since the first ones).