PDA

View Full Version : Why do I have 2GB of unaccounted for data on my drive?

sillyeagle
10-31-11, 06:19 PM
I'm cleaning up an XP laptop in an attempt to recover as much space as possible, however there's 2GB in use which I can't account for.

The drive looks like this:

Capacity: 24.2GB
Free: 15.1GB
Used: 9.03GB

The problem is I can only find 6.96GB. Doing a select all and properties on C:\ reports 6.96GB, as does the Glary disk analysis tool, which includes the page file and hibernation file. What could account for the other 2GB?

bacon12
10-31-11, 06:22 PM
Clear your browser cache. :D

jcrox
10-31-11, 06:39 PM
Run CCleaner...

Clear Browser Cache
Temp internet files
etc...

sillyeagle
10-31-11, 07:03 PM
Yeah I've done all that already, ran CCleaner and then Glary. Besides, even if the browser cache was full it would still be reported. I have 2GB of data that's not reported anywhere, and I don't now why.

dukenukemz
10-31-11, 07:27 PM
disable hibernation and system restore and ur pc should give you your two gigs back if its really necessary.

sillyeagle
10-31-11, 07:44 PM
Ok, but I do see the hibernation file at 500MB, which is included in the 6.96GB it's currently reporting, and I have already deleted all but the most recent system restore points. I guess it's reserving some space? If so I'll just leave it.

mojoman0
10-31-11, 07:52 PM
It's probably your page file. If you want to see everything on your drive in visual form use windirstat. http://windirstat.info/ It will show you everything that takes up space visually

grey_1
11-01-11, 08:23 AM
Any kind of security software that's keeping a hidden backup of files? iirc Norton used to (might still, dunno) do this. Kept a hidden and protected file that would backup anything and everything that was deleted.

Just a guess.

frenchy2k1
11-01-11, 01:10 PM
Do you use the trashcan?
This is usually what account for such a difference: files in your recycle bin, deleted, but not flushed. flush the trashcan (right click and choose "empty recycle bin) and you should be good to go.