PDA

View Full Version : And another WD Green.....

nekrosoft13
10-31-11, 11:05 PM
kicks the bucket, never again, will i buy a WD green drive.

mojoman0
10-31-11, 11:28 PM
Green drives aren't binned black drives are they? They can't handle the speed so they run me at a lower rpm and maybe more likely to fail? Just wondering

AthlonXP1800
11-01-11, 03:00 AM
Well it been known for years that WD Green drives has the highest failure rates and it not reliable so why did you buy a WD Green drive? :p

Viral
11-01-11, 03:38 AM
Had my 1TB green for over 3 years. Not a main drive but still regularly used for music/video/backup. Might be time to back it up again though ;)

mullet
11-01-11, 08:27 AM
Sorry to hear that. I always buy black drives.

Bman212121
11-01-11, 11:01 AM
You really need to get any of those you have left replaced. Sadly I'm still running on the RMA replacements I got but that might be a good project for this weekend to back up my data again...

Bearclaw
11-01-11, 01:48 PM
Man. Nvnews has such a majority f green drive failures. Such crappy drives. :(

Q
11-01-11, 01:58 PM
Not surprised. Those things are junk. And my beloved Samsung's will soon be junk, as well.

WD Black's are still good drives and I have a few 5-6 year old Blues still running as well.

nekrosoft13
11-01-11, 04:30 PM
it not completly dead, it still works

but:
1) when its plugged in, pc takes 4-5 minutes to start up, tried on 3 different machines
2) i'm getting 300kb-10mb/s transfer rate.

trying to copy over some files from it.

mullet
11-01-11, 06:34 PM
WOW.

Viral
11-01-11, 07:16 PM
So what's a good reliable drive that's quiet and cheap? I can't justify the price and noise of a WD black and really don't need blistering performance for music and video.

nekrosoft13
11-01-11, 07:46 PM
hitachi coolspins, or samsung f4s

jeffmd
11-01-11, 09:21 PM
glad I opted not to get the green drive for my laptop tonight. I have a few passports and when my large one formed a connection issue in the usb port, I found out that WD went through way to much trouble to attach the usb host card to the drive in a permanent way. So I decided rather then another usb drive, I was finally going to upgrade my laptops drive, and I went with a nice 7200rpm seagate.

Oh btw... installing a HD in todays laptops is THE EASIEST THING EVER! Its like popping a cartridge into a SNES. If only desktops were that easy.

Bearclaw
11-01-11, 09:35 PM
glad I opted not to get the green drive for my laptop tonight. I have a few passports and when my large one formed a connection issue in the usb port, I found out that WD went through way to much trouble to attach the usb host card to the drive in a permanent way. So I decided rather then another usb drive, I was finally going to upgrade my laptops drive, and I went with a nice 7200rpm seagate.

Oh btw... installing a HD in todays laptops is THE EASIEST THING EVER! Its like popping a cartridge into a SNES. If only desktops were that easy.

Desktops ARE that easy. :lol:

jeffmd
11-02-11, 01:10 AM
there been some new breakthrough in case design in the past 4 years or something? mine still requires alot of digging out of wires and video cards to get mine out ^^

Viral
11-02-11, 01:34 AM
Some cases have sata/power ports on a chip that you slot the drive onto by sliding it into the rails, like a Mac Pro, but not many have this.

I thought Samsung stopped making HDD's? I love their drives, but aren't they outdated by now with them no longer updating the lineup?

AthlonXP1800
11-02-11, 04:17 AM
Some cases have sata/power ports on a chip that you slot the drive onto by sliding it into the rails, like a Mac Pro, but not many have this.

I thought Samsung stopped making HDD's? I love their drives, but aren't they outdated by now with them no longer updating the lineup?

Yeah Samsung stopped made HDDs, they lose money on it everytime due to fierced competition and sold HDD business to Seagate in April 2011.