PDA

View Full Version : CPU or Motherboard problem?

Spaz
08-21-03, 06:21 PM
I just installed a new Athon XP 2400+ processor and since I did that I have been having problems with lockups. Motherboard Monitor says its running at 125 deg so its not running to hot and I even put a fan on the motherboard heat sink to see if that is it. Then thinking that my powersupply wasn't up to par or underpowered I got a new supply at 500w. Still the same problems. All of the drivers are WHQL.

The only other change I seen besides lockups is that in games the sound starts to repeat and crackle. This is why I'm not sure that it is just the CPU because the sound is built into the motherboard.

Any ideas for windows or bios settings? CPU problem or motherboard problem?

Athlon XP 2400+
MSI nForce 1 model# K7N420 Pro
512 MB PC 2100
Geforce4 Ti 4400 120 MB

EciDemon
08-22-03, 05:30 AM
Well if your cpu runns in 125 C then you should be worried and happy that your cpu is still alive. If its 125 F then I dunno. Im not familiar with that format so I cant evaliuate it.

But to give you an general idea.
I too have an Amd XP 2400+ and my cpu runns at 40-48 C depending on what I do. Dunno what that translates in F though.

LTech221
08-22-03, 08:46 PM
its 51.6 C, but what kind of HSF are u using? If its the stock one then that maybe why your seeing temps like this.

Spaz
08-22-03, 09:53 PM
Right now I'm running at 50 C or 120 F. I have used computers at 150 F or 65 C with out any problems. I wouldn't do it very often. Before the new cpu I was running a 1400mhz Athlon without a problem. I could run weeks without rebooting. Now I'm lucky if I make it a couple hours. The only change I made is the CPU. Today my computer only locked up once but that still isn't very good. The heat sink is a AMD stock that came with the retail box. I thinking it might be a heat problem but I have a fan in every damn spot you can think of and still it locks up.:confused:

Malfunction
08-22-03, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Spaz
Right now I'm running at 50 C or 120 F. I have used computers at 150 F or 65 C with out any problems. I wouldn't do it very often. Before the new cpu I was running a 1400mhz Athlon without a problem. I could run weeks without rebooting. Now I'm lucky if I make it a couple hours. The only change I made is the CPU. Today my computer only locked up once but that still isn't very good. The heat sink is a AMD stock that came with the retail box. I thinking it might be a heat problem but I have a fan in every damn spot you can think of and still it locks up.:confused:

Might wanna try some of this stuff:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=179717#post179717

Also, when you applied thermal compound to the CPU Die, how much did you use? It is supposed to be a paper thin amount, that could result as a thermal blanket as opposed to being a benifit for heat transfering. :)

Peace,

:)

Spaz
08-22-03, 11:17 PM
The compound was already on the heat sink and it was about paper thin

edit: I just redid the compound and removed the stock compound. This time I used some silver compund. Now it is at 114 F or 47 C. So far it is running normally.

EciDemon
08-25-03, 02:18 AM
Just a little off topic, Do not compare cpu temeratures from a new cpu vs an old one. The faster Amd Tbred runns cooler then the slower palimo based XP cpu. So if your older cpu was hotter yet still worked good its just cos it was made to handle higher temps. Over at amd.com there is a cpu temp chart so you can see the optimal temp for your cpu.

When I bought my amd xp 2400+ (tbred) I never even tried the boxed fan. I replaced it with a volcano 9.

Anyway, Its good to hear that things runns a bit more cool for you now :)
While your at it, you could add two fans for your case too, One in the front that takes in, and one in the back that blows out hot air.