PDA

View Full Version : Skyrim .ini tweaks

Pages : [1] 2 3

Vanzagar
11-11-11, 01:38 PM
Please put your recommended .ini tweaks here.

Also, please specify:
1. GPU
2. CPU
3. Playing resolution
4. Settings
5. FPS
6. Any instability issues from your tweaks

Couple pics would be appreciated too... let's optimize this puppy! :captnkill:

Vanz

Sean_W
11-11-11, 02:52 PM
1920x1080, Ultra, 8xAA, MSAA enabled, 30-40FPS.

bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawLandShadows=1
iShadowMapResolution=4096
fDefaultFov=85
b30GrassVS=1
bTransparencyMultisampling=1
bDoDepthOfField=0
bMouseAcceleration=0

Johnny C
11-11-11, 04:59 PM
1920x1080, Ultra, 8xAA, MSAA enabled, 30-40FPS.

bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawLandShadows=1
iShadowMapResolution=4096
fDefaultFov=85
b30GrassVS=1
bTransparencyMultisampling=1
bDoDepthOfField=0
bMouseAcceleration=0

With a 460?

Wow my 6970 is gonna pwn this. ETA 26minutes from direct 2 drive

Sean_W
11-11-11, 05:14 PM
Yeah, runs great just some weird frame rate drops sometimes.

K007
11-11-11, 07:40 PM
With a 460?

Wow my 6970 is gonna pwn this. ETA 26minutes from direct 2 drive

...d2d? game is using steamworks..

munkus
11-11-11, 07:44 PM
...d2d? game is using steamworks..

You can still download it from D2D (like I did). When you install it, it loads Steam and asks for your key code and copies the files to the Steam directory like all other games. Same thing happens for the retail boxed version.

For me it was cheaper on D2D because of the 15% members discount on top of the pre-purchase sale.

K007
11-11-11, 09:12 PM
arh ok...i got it from game gameman since they had 10% discount so it came out to something like 50USD for me vs steams $90USD...so i saved $40 dollars....yea...forty ****ing dollars!.

if batman uses steamworks then i will get it from them too, not going to get it at the current ridiculous price of $100 which they bumped up from $39..wtf $60 price markup??

crainger
11-11-11, 10:30 PM
I was lucky and got Batman when it was 39. Can't believe all this price changing, then there was the release date nonsense with Renegade Ops where it was bumped back 4 or 5 times each time the release date hit.

Viral
11-11-11, 11:18 PM
Pre-ordered batman at $39 with the discount for owning Arkham asylum. No idea why it went up. I'm thinking I'll just buy Skyrim from the shops, any game on Steam over $80 is stupid to me. I'm ok paying $80 for a hard copy, but not for just dl.

nekrosoft13
11-11-11, 11:42 PM
were those fDefaultFov=85 go?

Maverick123w
11-11-11, 11:47 PM
were those fDefaultFov=85 go?

just type fov 85 in the console it saves it

K007
11-11-11, 11:48 PM
yea just do it on console it saves
default is 60

Spartan 117
11-12-11, 04:00 AM
Everyone with powerful rigs should use these 2 tuts, my game looks amazing and looks the way it should have been made. Note that the tool used in the second link works for Nvidia GPUs only, another reason why I love Nvidia!

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=31&navtag=file/images.php?id=31&tab=3

Bah!
11-12-11, 07:56 AM
That sharpening mod is balls. It makes the game look horrible. If you have a powerful system and don't like the blur of FXAA, just use SSAA.

As for tweaks, I just use this config maker and put everything on "DNA Extreme" and the game looks much better. Of course, unless you have a pretty beefy system it will bring it to it's knees at those settings.

http://donotargue.com/cfg-makers/skyrim/

Sean_W
11-12-11, 10:25 AM
I love our modder community, they always make PC games more enjoyable.

BioHazZarD
11-12-11, 11:54 AM
Sad that this game is poorly optimzed, has some bugs etc.. and when will devs learn that nobody wants to play this game with fov of 65 or whatever its at default.. deus ex had a nice menu for that how hard is it ?

Sean_W
11-12-11, 12:45 PM
Sad that this game is poorly optimzed, has some bugs etc.. and when will devs learn that nobody wants to play this game with fov of 65 or whatever its at default.. deus ex had a nice menu for that how hard is it ?

I don't think they care and they will either patch it after or let the modders fix it. We know their defaults are more Xbox360 fitting and in ways, the game looks worse than Oblivion, especially the fidelity of the textures and shadows.

Bethesda might care once they see the good PC sales figures though. Over 240K sales already might raise their eyebrows.

tornadog
11-12-11, 02:07 PM
Didnt the Bethesda head honcho say its a pain to develop the pc version because of the different systems, configurations, etc. I wont blame them for making the game suitable to the lowest common denominator of PCs. You will be surprised how many PC gamers out there have antiquated systems, who still expect to play this game without upgrading their hardware.

Sean_W
11-12-11, 02:18 PM
It would be a pain compared to consoles yeah but consoles sell more, so it's a no brainer for them. It's no secret that newer versions of DirectX(DX10/11) allow you do do such effects faster and easier.

If PC games had more sales then it might be worth them making their games in DX11 because it's backward compatible, but it's just easier and quicker for devs to use DX9 and port.

Sean_W
11-12-11, 02:40 PM
The game is not demanding at all, just seems like a performance bug in some places. Single cards are powerful enough.

|MaguS|
11-12-11, 08:50 PM
The Ultra Extreme settings in the cfg maker caused my game to crash and behave erratic (runs smooth and then performance nose dives randomly for no reason).

Bah!
11-12-11, 11:24 PM
With everything on DNA Extreme, it completely fills up my VRAM (2.9GB) :p That's not really a smart config honestly. For now I use the default Ultra again and hope someone will come up with a Surround fix.

That's crazy. It only uses about 1200mb on my setup. Of course I'm at a lower resolution, but I wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference.

Of course, when I first installed and played the game on default Ultra setting there was a point in the very first cave that my vram usage was like 1400mb. The next time I loaded the game it was only about half that in the same spot so there might be a bug that's not releasing video ram and that's what you are seeing.

ATOJAR
11-13-11, 01:21 AM
As for tweaks, I just use this config maker and put everything on "DNA Extreme" and the game looks much better. Of course, unless you have a pretty beefy system it will bring it to it's knees at those settings.

http://donotargue.com/cfg-makers/skyrim/

I tried creating a "DNA Extreme" config ... For some reason when i use the config file created with that tool the characters in game have white flashing patches on there skin, Anybody know whats causing this and how to stop it?

Bah!
11-13-11, 02:15 AM
I tried creating a "DNA Extreme" config ... For some reason when i use the config file created with that tool the characters in game have white flashing patches on there skin, Anybody know whats causing this and how to stop it?

Pretty sure I read it's something to do with Transparency AA. I think having it enabled in the ini and in the cp will cause this issue.

Bah!
11-13-11, 03:45 AM
From what I've seen so far, the VRAM usage at 2560x1600 Ultra (AA not maxed out) is around 1200MB as well. Maybe a bit higher outdoors.
But the Extreme config, even with a few settings turned off (like Transparancy AA, and only 4xMSAA), completely filled up the VRAM.

I'd say that's why a few others are also reporting artifacts.

That's nuts that just one bump up on the resolution is doing that. I'm using SSAA too!

One thing I did find out, if you are using any ini tweaks that mess with Shadows, the setting fShadowDistance is the reason for the blocky shadows that people are reporting. The further out you make the shadows the lower the quality they are. I've been using that Extreme config and couldn't figure out why my character and tree shadows were so horrible, but after messing with everything else I noticed that the higher the Distance setting the blockier the shadows.

I guess Bethesda did it that way to save performance, but it would be nice to have long distance shadows that looked just as good as when they are turned down.