PDA

View Full Version : thank God for Nvidia!

Pages : [1] 2

wheeljack12
11-12-11, 01:03 PM
I recently tried my hand on two xfx radeon 6990's in quad xfire. One, AMD doesn't have drivers ready for the 6990 and stereoscopic 3d, even for just one card. So, I had the samsung sa950 and was using their on monitor chip for 2d to 3d conversion,not bad. This is because the tridef 3d software that came with the monitor wouldn't work because of the driver issues. Two, when Nvidia makes a beta or whql driver, you don't need to very often try 3 or 4 of them to get a single game to work. Hence, the AMD crappy driver. And they don't add all of their fixes from their beta drivers into their whql ones. Example, I was using 11.10 preview 3 to play rage. When I installed 11.10 whql, the game stopped working and i had to back to the beta. When nvidia goes whql, they add all of their current beta fixes into the whql driver every time. three, would you believe that a single gtx 580 3gb (msi lightning xtreme) can beat 4 6990's in quad xfire for frame rates in rage. Well, that's what happened here. the quad 6990's choked on rage and was barely playable with all graphic settings in cat contol panel and the game turned to low. meaning jerky play. Turn up all the settings on the gtx 580 in nvidia control panel with the exception of AA set to 8x and rage screams. Also, to get battlefield 3 to play with 11.10 whql for a single 6990, I had to turn off all CCC settings to make it playable. I don't know how the hell places like HardOCP can say good things about the 6990! Like it Says in my title, thank God for Nvidia!

miahallen
11-13-11, 07:18 PM
So, what does God have to do with it?

Roadhog
11-13-11, 07:49 PM
seems he thinks someone who doesn't exist created a video card.

Eltigre88
11-15-11, 05:00 AM
So, what does God have to do with it?

GOD has to do with every single thing! It would take way too much time to explain and even then I don't think you'd get it.

Eltigre88
11-15-11, 05:02 AM
seems he thinks someone who doesn't exist created a video card.

I feel sorry for you.....

mailman2
11-15-11, 02:17 PM
btw, RAGE doesn't support SLI or Crossfire. That's why a single 580 is faster than Quad CF.

Lots of games are like this - which is why prefer a single 580 ;)

JasonPC
11-15-11, 07:58 PM
It's OpenGL... maybe one day there will be a sli or crossfire profile? Not likely I guess. Either way it's a game that isn't very demanding and probably doesn't take long to shelf forever. I haven't had any bf3 crossfire issues with the new driver and cap4. Trying official 11.11 and 11.11 cap1 now to see if it brings more improvements.

Rollo
11-16-11, 12:53 PM
It's OpenGL... maybe one day there will be a sli or crossfire profile? Not likely I guess. Either way it's a game that isn't very demanding and probably doesn't take long to shelf forever. I haven't had any bf3 crossfire issues with the new driver and cap4. Trying official 11.11 and 11.11 cap1 now to see if it brings more improvements.

I don't think Sli or 3d Vision support OpenGL IIRC.

Now that my son finished Rage I'm working my through it at 57X10 and am enjoying it. I could nit pick variances in texture detail or say it's pretty linear for an "open world" game, but I've yet to play a perfect game and this one is pretty fun.

Muppet
12-22-11, 07:49 PM
ID seriously needs to get out of the dark ages and support DirectX.

mullet
12-22-11, 10:01 PM
ID seriously needs to get out of the dark ages and support DirectX.

+1

Smee
12-23-11, 12:07 PM
I tried SLI one time.. It was around the 7800gtx era.

What a joke that was.
And from what I read, it still suffers from the same problems 6 years later.. Horrible driver support.

Roadhog
12-23-11, 01:12 PM
I tried SLI one time.. It was around the 7800gtx era.

What a joke that was.
And from what I read, it still suffers from the same problems 6 years later.. Horrible driver support.

You on crack?

red777star
12-23-11, 01:51 PM
Nvidia has great drivers and i would still be on it but i had to move to HD6970 Crossfire setup. The reason is Black Screen issue i was having. After a year or so trying to figure out what was the problem and numerous RMAs i gave up. :( I got HD6970 on same system and it works great.

Rollo
12-24-11, 09:09 AM
Actually that's not the case. nV has great driver and profile support for SLI. I don't remember the last time I had to mess around with an SLI setting or value.

Yeah, NVIDIA pretty much takes care of that for us. It was the case back in 7800GTX days as well.

The only time I ever had real problems with Sli is when Vista first launched.

snowmanwithahat
12-24-11, 12:29 PM
Yeh I have had nothing but a great experience with my GTX 470 sli setup and that's with a hack to enable SLI on a board that shouldn't support it.

SLI doesn't actually care if it's OpenGL or not... there just needs to be a profile for it. It's independent of the API being used.

mullet
12-28-11, 12:48 AM
thank God for people like us that buy hardware by the boat loads that keep Nvidia and AMD in business.

john19055
12-28-11, 01:08 AM
I have always had good luck with SLI.I had some problems with crossfire but it was a lot better then it used to be,still not up to par compared to SLI

Redeemed
12-28-11, 01:21 AM
Never used Crossfire, but ample experience with SLi. If finances allowed I'd love to go back to having multiple video cards. :)

john19055
12-31-11, 03:25 AM
I had two HD 5870's and ran them in crossfire and really did'nt have any problems unless it was a older game.I thought they were pretty good cards ,but i have always liked SLI better,because it seems that I can run any game and get it to work, so I sold them and went back to nvidia.

wheeljack12
03-06-12, 01:03 PM
i actually tried 4 gtx 480's evga superclocked on a gigabyte ga-x58a-ud9 board that supported 4 way sli. Used a silverstone st-1500 watt (saw the linus tech tip videos on how he got the psu to work with the card) psu with a 980x 6 core cpu. Great performance but you can't do nvidia 3d or regular surround with 4 way sli at least AFAIK to date. Even sent Nvidia a email to confirm a year ago. So it's actually a waste of graphics power as I sold one off right away so I could do 3 way (one card per monitor) nvidia 3d vision surrround.

ViN86
03-08-12, 04:41 PM
My first multi-card setup is the one I have now (2x6970's). The cards work great and the drivers are great. They doubled my performance in BF3 and both GPU's run at 95%+ utilization, so I couldn't be happier.

Obviously my tune will change if one of my future games has poor support, but for now I am very pleased.

Muppet
03-08-12, 06:19 PM
My first multi-card setup is the one I have now (2x6970's). The cards work great and the drivers are great. They doubled my performance in BF3 and both GPU's run at 95%+ utilization, so I couldn't be happier.

Obviously my tune will change if one of my future games has poor support, but for now I am very pleased.

That's good to know. If Keplers high end turns out to be a disappointment, I will get a couple of the 7970 refresh cards.

BioHazZarD
03-09-12, 07:44 AM
SLI is more a market stunt, according to nvidia its so problem-free etc... 60% more fps in games etc..blablabla... always has been better to have a powerful gpu and you can playwithout problems and worry if the newest games have support for this nonsense or not.