View Full Version : GTX 580's, or wait for Kepler?
11-14-11, 10:35 AM
In a month I plan to buy myself another 580 as a sorta xmas present to me, but with Kepler getting close do you guys think it would be a better option to just wait for Kepler and get the best single card available then?
11-14-11, 01:27 PM
Wait for Kepler.
Why would you need more than a single 580 for a 22" screen?
A 24/27" 3D Vision monitor is in the future as well. Plus I enjoy using 3D which hurts fps quite a bit even at 1680x1050
I play games all the time that I would consider unacceptable to play on a single 580 with the settings I normally use. And yes, that's at 1080p.
And as for waiting for Kepler, people have been saying that for nearly a year now. Unless you know the exact date it is being released there is no need to wait. It could be 3 months or it could be 6. If something goes wrong with production it could be another year. On top of that it's quite possible that the top end Kepler card could be slower than 580's in SLI. So you wait all that time and end up with a slower solution.
Buy when you are ready to buy, don't wait around for what's coming because you could do that for the rest of your life.
11-14-11, 11:27 PM
Kepler won't be far off. They ESTIMATED Q4 then put it back to Early 2012, i really dont think its gonna be 12 months or even 6 months for that matter. I reckon March at the latest. Also from what ive read about proposed specs it will be more powerful than 2 GTX580's.
Maverick123W you already have a single GTX580 that should eat through any game thats currently on the market at the resolution you currently have, save your money and wait or by March you will be kicking yourself. I'm sure you can cope with what you have till then....Remember, good things come to those who wait. ;)
12-31-11, 03:41 AM
Since the fastest ones are not supposed to come out untill sometime at the end of 2012 I woud look at the new HD 7970 since it is faster then a single GTX 580 and it will be out in a week or two ,if they have good yieds.But if you already have a GTX 580 and have room for another one to run in SLI ,then I would go with another 580.If the HD 7970 is going to be priced at $550 ,then I would go with two GTX 560 Ti 448 cores.Since it will run you about the same and would be faster.But If I was going for a one card setup Then I would go with the HD 7970.
Reading info on the net I thought Keplar is coming in Q2 2012 and will be as fast as a 590. I would just buy a second 580 now if you already have one. If you're wanting more power.
12-31-11, 01:04 PM
I'm still deciding what I want to do. I'm holding off now to see if there are any hints about keplar.
vBulletin® v3.7.1, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.