PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from 5770 to...?

shilk
11-16-11, 01:33 PM
Looking for an upgrade, and quite frankly, I'm kind of stumped. Can you guys help me out? I'm starting to feel the age of my system pretty bad.

In the order of upgrades, I'm a bit torn on which route I can do this in. My current rig is in my signature, so I'll be plopping ~$250 each for upgrades when I can.

VideoCard
CPU
Monitor (will upgrade to a better monitor soon.)

I've been eyeing the GTX 560 ti as an upgrade for a bit now. I know it'll out perform my current 5770, but I'm not sure if I should just get a CPU upgrade first. If I get a CPU, I need to get a new mobo since it doesn't support the Bulldozer or suck it up and get a cheaper X6 CPU for now.

So many damn choices. :headexplode:

MaysitoJr
11-16-11, 02:14 PM
What resolution do you play at? Very few games are limited by the cpu power at 1920x1080 or higher resolutions (Skyrim is one of them, it really benefits from a Sandy Bridge processor), so if i were you i would first upgrade the videocard. The Geforce GTX 560ti is a good option.

If later you want to upgrade your cpu/mobo, i'd suggest you go the intel way (sandy bridge) hands down.

Redeemed
11-16-11, 02:39 PM
It is actually quite simple.

Before this 4870 I owned a 5770. My best friend was gaming with a GeForce 7900GT and I felt bad so I gave him my 5770. Shortly there after another good friend of mine blessed me with my present 4870. I am very familiar with the performance of the 5770 from actual first-hand experience. I know what it is capable of and its limits. :)

As such I'm also researching upgrade possibilities. I really want to enjoy Crysis 2 in all it's DX11 and High-Def texture goodness, as well as Skyrim and BF3 with all the bells and whistles, not to mention Prey 2 when it comes out next year.

That said, I would argue one of two things:

a.)Keep the card. The 7 series are going to be launched mainstream parts first, higher end parts to follow. Seeing as how you first bought the 5770 and are now looking at the GTX560 I can safely assume you're concerned with only the mainstream parts and not the highend. As such, the mainstream of the 7 series should be available as early as next month, as late as the beginning of next year. It is likely that the "7770" will offer near 6970 levels of performance, at under $250, while consuming less power and producing less heat. Even if the wait is 2 months, far worth it in my opinion. This is likely what I'll be doing instead of buying anything right now.

b.)If you cannot wait- hapooh is selling 3x 5870s for $90 each (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2502479#post2502479). At $90 one of his 5870s is a considerably better deal than even the GTX560ti. Not to mention for $180 you could buy two of his 5870s and completely crush anything nVidia or even AMD offers in the $200 price range. Not sure if your mobo supports CrossFire or not so you might be just limited to one 5870. Honestly, if you cannot wait to upgrade your card then I'd recommend picking up one of hapooh's 5870s. Will nearly double your performance at a fraction of the price of a GTX560.

Regarding your processor- forget about Bulldozer. In most scenerios a PhenomII x6 will be faster. I'd buy the PhenomII x6 and shoot for 3.6 - 4.2Ghz. Plenty of CPU power for quite some time to come. :) Maybe after a couple revisions Bulldozer will be competitive but as it stands, it's not worth the money and wouldn't really be an upgrade. :)

As to what you should upgrade first... I'd say upgrade your CPU, buy a PhenomII x6 first. Then as soon as the mainstream 7 series is available pickup one of those. If you cannot wait a month or two to upgrade your video card then pickup one of hapooh's 5870s (or two if your mobo supports CrossFire). :)

shilk
11-16-11, 02:40 PM
Right now, the max resolution for my monitor is 1440x900 crappy, I know. But I might pick one up if the price is right, soon. I just never got around to getting a better one since this one was free.

I was already contemplating on getting the i5 2500k with a decent mobo. It'll only add up to about $350 with tax and shipping. Dunno if I should hop on that right now or wait until Black Friday which is only a week away.

Right-o, then. Videocard it is. :) Feels weird coming back to the green side.

shilk
11-16-11, 02:48 PM
a.)Keep the card. The 7 series are going to be launched mainstream parts first, higher end parts to follow. Seeing as how you first bought the 5770 and are now looking at the GTX560 I can safely assume you're concerned with only the mainstream parts and not the highend. As such, the mainstream of the 7 series should be available as early as next month, as late as the beginning of next year. It is likely that the "7770" will offer near 6970 levels of performance, at under $250, while consuming less power and producing less heat. Even if the wait is 2 months, far worth it in my opinion. This is likely what I'll be doing instead of buying anything right now.

I'm only concerned about gaming for the time being as I have plenty of time off on my hands for now. :D I did not know about the 7 series. And definitely didn't know they were on the horizon that soon. Will keep an eye out for those! Thanks, Redeemed!

b.)If you cannot wait- hapooh is selling 3x 5870s for $90 each (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2502479#post2502479). At $90 one of his 5870s is a considerably better deal than even the GTX560ti. Not to mention for $180 you could buy two of his 5870s and completely crush anything nVidia or even AMD offers in the $200 price range. Not sure if your mobo supports CrossFire or not so you might be just limited to one 5870. Honestly, if you cannot wait to upgrade your card then I'd recommend picking up one of hapooh's 5870s. Will nearly double your performance at a fraction of the price of a GTX560.

Ah, that sounds like an awesome deal. My mobo does support CrossFire, so I might have to consider that. Only it really cranks down the bandwidth to 4x 4x. With a single videocard, it's at a full 16x.

As to what you should upgrade first... I'd say upgrade your CPU, buy a PhenomII x6 first. Then as soon as the mainstream 7 series is available pickup one of those. If you cannot wait a month or two to upgrade your video card then pickup one of hapooh's 5870s (or two if your mobo supports CrossFire). :)
That sounds good. I can save tons of money by getting an X6 for $150 now and then just getting a videocard later. :)

Is there a specific X6 I should keep an eye out for or stay away from?

Redeemed
11-16-11, 03:28 PM
I'm only concerned about gaming for the time being as I have plenty of time off on my hands for now. :D I did not know about the 7 series. And definitely didn't know they were on the horizon that soon. Will keep an eye out for those! Thanks, Redeemed!

Ah, that sounds like an awesome deal. My mobo does support CrossFire, so I might have to consider that. Only it really cranks down the bandwidth to 4x 4x. With a single videocard, it's at a full 16x.

Is that PCI-e 1.0 or 2.0? If 4x at 2.0 that should be equivalent to 8x at 1.0 which is more than sufficient for dual 5870s. :)

Or, even if you just got one 5870 that's still going to out perform the GTX560ti in most games (albeit by a small margin), while costing considerably less, producing less heat and consuming less power in most games (there are some situations where the 560 may perform better, but averages seem to favor the 5870).

That sounds good. I can save tons of money by getting an X6 for $150 now and then just getting a videocard later. :)

Is there a specific X6 I should keep an eye out for or stay away from?

Well, newegg has the 1100T for $189. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913) If that is too expensive then there's plenty of others to choose from (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%2050001028%20600005585&IsNodeId=1&name=Phenom%20II%20X6). If you can afford it I'd go for the 1100T. If you cannot, then just get which ever one falls within your price range. Any will be a decent upgrade from your current processor, especially if OC'd. :)

shilk
11-16-11, 04:14 PM
Is that PCI-e 1.0 or 2.0? If 4x at 2.0 that should be equivalent to 8x at 1.0 which is more than sufficient for dual 5870s. :)
It's a 2.0. That's cool, I didn't know that. :o

I see you were interested in getting his cards as well. If anything, I'll wait it out for the 7 series GPU and see what happens. Not sure if I can guarantee I won't snatch those cards up though if you don't, heh.

Well, newegg has the 1100T for $189. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913) If that is too expensive then there's plenty of others to choose from (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%2050001028%20600005585&IsNodeId=1&name=Phenom%20II%20X6). If you can afford it I'd go for the 1100T. If you cannot, then just get which ever one falls within your price range. Any will be a decent upgrade from your current processor, especially if OC'd. :)

Does the $20 price difference between the 1100T and 1090T really warrant it, though? I mean, I don't think it's a problem about the price, but if 1ghz is all the difference then I can swing for the 1090T. 1ghz for $20 seems a bit silly to me.

I might pick it up at the local Fry's then since it's the same exact prices as newegg. If I'm going to pay the same amount of tax, I'd rather have it in my hands in 10 minutes as opposed to 4 days.

Redeemed
11-16-11, 04:25 PM
It's a 2.0. That's cool, I didn't know that. :o

I see you were interested in getting his cards as well. If anything, I'll wait it out for the 7 series GPU and see what happens. Not sure if I can guarantee I won't snatch those cards up though if you don't, heh.

:lol: Don't sweat it man- if you have the means to pick up his cards then do it! Wont bother me in the least. :)

EDIT: That might be a nice solution to hold you over till the 7 series. If you picked up two of his cards now, in a couple month you could likely still sell both for about $150 ($75 a piece). That should pay for the majority of the "7770" or whatever AMD will call it. And if the 7 series turns out to be a major let down, just keep the two 5870s till something more suitable comes along. Dual 5870s is a whole lot of graphics power, especially at 1440x900. When you upgrade your monitor you'll likely breathe new life into those 5870s because you'll remove more of the CPU bottleneck.

Does the $20 price difference between the 1100T and 1090T really warrant it, though? I mean, I don't think it's a problem about the price, but if 1ghz is all the difference then I can swing for the 1090T. 1ghz for $20 seems a bit silly to me.

I might pick it up at the local Fry's then since it's the same exact prices as newegg. If I'm going to pay the same amount of tax, I'd rather have it in my hands in 10 minutes as opposed to 4 days.
The biggest difference between the 1090T and 1100T is AMD's "TurboCore"- which is essentially their version of Intel's "Turbo Mode" for the Core i7's. If that isn't a huge concern for you, I'd save the money and go for the 1090T if you plan to manually over clock it. If you don't plan to manually over clock it that 1100T may be a better deal cause it'll over clock itself up to 3.7GHz.

shilk
11-17-11, 01:53 AM
Okay, sweet. I'll pick up the CPU at Fry's tomorrow then. :)

I should have some left over to get the 5870's. Not sure if I want to go with CrossFire right now, but I do know I'll get at least one.

Thanks for the advice, Redeemed!

Redeemed
11-17-11, 02:25 AM
Okay, sweet. I'll pick up the CPU at Fry's tomorrow then. :)

I should have some left over to get the 5870's. Not sure if I want to go with CrossFire right now, but I do know I'll get at least one.

Thanks for the advice, Redeemed!

Hey it's the least I could do. Be sure to post pics and impressions after the upgrades are all done! :)

One thing to remind you about- 1440x900 is uber low res for a card like a 5870. If performance isn't what you expected at first, start adding Anti-Aliasing to your games- you should be able to play most every game out right now with 100% maxed in-game settings at 1440x900 with varying levels of AA. Going CrossFire now might not yeild any substantial results because of the lower resolution. But once you get that new monitor you'll really see the 5870(s) come to life! :D

Rakeesh
11-17-11, 02:41 AM
I'm on a 5750 right now. So far it can handle everything I throw at it at max settings at 1920x1080 (no FSAA though, as I don't usually care for it) but I will upgrade as soon as the 28nm GPU's hit.

I like the 5750 because it does a lot for how much heat it produces. I'm looking for an upgrade to the 28nm space because ideally I'll upgrade to something that performs better at the same TDP.

shilk
11-17-11, 12:22 PM
Hey it's the least I could do. Be sure to post pics and impressions after the upgrades are all done! :)

One thing to remind you about- 1440x900 is uber low res for a card like a 5870. If performance isn't what you expected at first, start adding Anti-Aliasing to your games- you should be able to play most every game out right now with 100% maxed in-game settings at 1440x900 with varying levels of AA. Going CrossFire now might not yeild any substantial results because of the lower resolution. But once you get that new monitor you'll really see the 5870(s) come to life! :D

Hehe, will do. :)

I usally max out everything I can first and see how it runs, then slowly turn down effects that have little visual impact like decals and stuff. At this resolution, the 5770 has been great, but I can see the lag in some games (Assassin's Creed II/Brotherhood, Skyrim, etc.) if I leave some options on. There's some pretty bad stutter at times as well.

With the newest Catalyst drivers, I can max out Skyrim to ultra, and it's very playable. But if I make sudden 180 turns, it's super choppy. If anything, the 5870 will help, tons later on. :)

Oh, God. I don't even want to get into monitors. There's so many right now that it's hard to choose from.

I like the 5750 because it does a lot for how much heat it produces. I'm looking for an upgrade to the 28nm space because ideally I'll upgrade to something that performs better at the same TDP.

Same reason why I got the 5770. It's not this giant furnace of a card, and for what I can accomplish it was perfect. I am, however, looking to get a little more "oomph" for now as I have been laid off yet again and finally have some time to catch up with games. Being able to turn on ALL of the eyecandy will definitely be awesome.

Redeemed
11-17-11, 12:28 PM
Hehe, will do. :)

I usally max out everything I can first and see how it runs, then slowly turn down effects that have little visual impact like decals and stuff. At this resolution, the 5770 has been great, but I can see the lag in some games (Assassin's Creed II/Brotherhood, Skyrim, etc.) if I leave some options on. There's some pretty bad stutter at times as well.

With the newest Catalyst drivers, I can max out Skyrim to ultra, and it's very playable. But if I make sudden 180 turns, it's super choppy. If anything, the 5870 will help, tons later on. :)

Oh, God. I don't even want to get into monitors. There's so many right now that it's hard to choose from.

Same reason why I got the 5770. It's not this giant furnace of a card, and for what I can accomplish it was perfect. I am, however, looking to get a little more "oomph" for now as I have been laid off yet again and finally have some time to catch up with games. Being able to turn on ALL of the eyecandy will definitely be awesome.

Well, I think part of your problem may be the processor... uncertain though. "Smooth, playable performance" is very subjective and I seem to be far more forgiving of lower framerates than many. I say this because with my 5770 playing at 1920 x 1200 I was insanely pleased. Yes, I did bump in to the cards limits but it was very seldom. I feel more restrained with this 4870 but mostly due to the significantly smaller framebuffer- the performance over all is there but where I could crank AA up with the 5770 I cannot with the 4870. Not a deal breaker for me as IQ is secondary to a great story and atmosphere IMO. :)

As to monitors... again I feel this is very subjective. It's kind of like picking out speakers- everybody's ears perceive audio a bit differently. What may be pleasing to somebody will be attrocious to another. Same goes for monitors. What one individual thinks is a very nice monitor another will think the exact opposite. :)

shilk
11-17-11, 08:49 PM
I don't know how to explain the lag issue. It's almost in every game I play, and the genre varies. So it's not limited to, say, and FPS or anything. I've gotten it in Skyrim and Assassin's Creed II. There's also other titles as well. Even though I can overclock the CPU, there's just some limitation that seems to bring performance down at times.

I do get the same performance with lower resolutions, so it could just be the CPU. I guess there's only one way to find out, lol. :D Will update as soon as I install it.

shilk
11-18-11, 06:08 PM
Damn, they sold out of the 1100T's. I literally live 5 minutes away, and they couldn't even hold it for me. They still have the 1090T at $169, though.

They had a 6870 for $154 as well. Guess what it boils down to is which one I would benefit from right now.

Redeemed
11-18-11, 08:25 PM
Damn, they sold out of the 1100T's. I literally live 5 minutes away, and they couldn't even hold it for me. They still have the 1090T at $169, though.

They had a 6870 for $154 as well. Guess what it boils down to is which one I would benefit from right now.

I'd honestly suspect that you'll benefit more from a faster CPU. 1440 x 900 is not a demanding resolution even for a 5770- I game at 1920 x 1200 and the 5770 was more than up to it. I did have to keep some things turned down or off on certain newer titles but that was in very few titles.

I'd go with the CPU for now. A 1090T is a solid CPU and if you're comfortable with it should OC very well. :)

shilk
11-24-11, 11:01 PM
Okay, finally got the CPU with an extra. :)

Got the 1100T that usually goes for around $189-200 for $169 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913) @ newegg.

Also picked up an Acer 23" 1080p LED display for $119 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009315) as well.

Black Friday is awesome! Glad I waited two days, lol. :D

shilk
03-15-12, 07:24 PM
Welp. PC died. Dunno what happened. :( Came home, turned it on, smoke and burning smell, panic ensued. Tested new power supply, mobo and nothing. If I hook up the 12v CPU plug, it won't even turn on. ARGH!

Didn't want to deal with it, so I picked up a i5 2500K and Z86 motherboard @ Fry's for $280 for both. Now I just need a videocard.

/sigh

Redeemed
03-16-12, 01:13 AM
Man, that freakin' sucks! Everything got fried? :(

shilk
03-16-12, 04:14 AM
Not everything.

One of my HHDs is making a clicking sound now. And the 5770 is doing some weird stuff. It'll randomly just freeze for a second and then come back if I try to play something.

I have the PC plugged into a UPS backup, so I'm almost 100% it wasn't a surge or anything. RAM seems fine. I have no idea what it was, so I took out the battery on the old mobo and just left it sitting on some boxes in the other room until I can set some time aside to figure out what went wrong.

If I get a new videocard, I don't want to have to upgrade again for a while, lol. It's stressful sometimes when you can't figure out what's going on.

Redeemed
03-16-12, 11:29 AM
That is very wierd. What about your PSU? Are you still using it? If so, I'm wondering if it were the motherboard. I mean, power comes from the PSU to the motherboard, from their the mobo disperses it to the rest of the components so if something were off with the voltage regulation of the mobo I could see all sorts of components getting damaged.

Either way I'm betting all of those parts are still under warranty. I'd test each one to find what'g damaged and what isn't, and then send the damaged parts out under warranty. When you get the new parts back you could have a killer second rig, or sell off the parts to help cover the cost of the mobo and CPU you just purchased.

Really sucks man, been there when you said it's stressful not being able to figure out what happened. Especially when it just doesn't make sense. Only thing I could figure, if your PSU is still working fine, is that something was off with the motherboard's voltage regulation.

Hope you get it sorted quickly and with little hassle though. :)

shilk
03-16-12, 05:18 PM
Could be. But the thing is, I'm using the same PSU right now in the new build and it's working perfectly. I think it could have been the motherboard or CPU. I bought a new motherboard at Fry's to test, and I had the same results. So it's down to the CPU.

It's still under warranty, and I haven't even had the chance to overclock it or anything. I'll most likely send it off next week when I get a bit more time to set aside to test it out.

Kind of debating on what card to get next. I'm eying the HD 6950 2GB (or even 1GB), and the GTX 570. Budget is around $200-$250. Some guy on ebay was selling 3 2GB 6950's for $185 a pop, and I was too late. :( I do see two GTX 570's for $150 a pop though. Problem is that it's not tested, and there's no returns.

Edit: 570's are freakin gone.

Rakeesh
03-22-12, 01:20 AM
I'm looking at the 7850 myself, runs about the same temps as my 5750 and its twice as fast.