PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a GeForce FX 5900, read (flickering test)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AnteP
08-23-03, 04:10 AM
Download and run the exe in this file. Have some white document/background and see if the screen flickers when you run the exe file.

http://www.nordichardware.com/UndaC/Blinka.exe

Then run this file:
http://www.nordichardware.com/UndaC/Surra.bat

And listen to your videocard to see if it makes any noise (yes just what I said, listen to the actual videocard)

After that reply to this thread:

Flickered: yes/no
Sound when using mousewheel: Yes/No
Monitor: CRT/TFT
Powersupply: xxx watt
Brand/Type: Creative 5900 Ultra or Gainward 5900 etc.

I want to get some statistics to see how many of the FX 5900 boards suffer from these problems.
I've posted the same topic on a lot of forums and I'll compile the statistics from all the forums later on.
Thus it is very important that even you without the problem also reply.

Please keep the thread clean of discussion else it's going to be a bitch to collect the stats later on.

Perhaps you mods can make this sticky?

PS. I haven't created the two tools used to test if these problems are present nor am I trying to take credit for them. If the author so wishes I will remove the links.

Malfunction
08-23-03, 04:32 AM
Wanna hear something funny?

I just noticed I get the scroll buzz too on certain sites that have mainly white backgrounds. :eek:

I don't get the flickering though. I didn't notice it until now. Sounds like hair rubbing up and down the panel of my case. Not loud enough to sound like hard drive reads (I don't think... maybe though), but faint enough to notice if it is quite around you. It is just radiating from the case too only.

Videocard: EVGA FX5200 Ultra
Flicker: No
Monitor: 6 year old KDS 195-e Visual Sensation
PSU: 550watt Antec True Control 550 Watt
UPS: Belkin 800VA UPS

*See sig for more details

Peace,

:)

P.S. Doesn't that just bite ass? lol

*EDIT - Actually... it sounds like it is coming directly from my HD(s) location. WTF, why is scrolling tied to the HD? Is it using the buffer there, cache or pagefile? Something so simple as scrolling... I don't get it. Never noticed it till now because I have a 18" oscillating fan that is on pretty much 24/7.

Morrow
08-23-03, 04:48 AM
Just wanted to help you with your inquiring and therefore I attached a small batch file I wrote a while ago to demonstrate the buzzing sound of my GF FX.

Just run the .bat file and your GF FX's voltage regulators will start whistling like crazy if your GeForce is affected... (the batch file needs to be run in a window and NOT fullscreen to make the sound).

To stop the batch file from running, just press "CTRL-C"!

Anyway, here my info

flickering: yes
sound: yes
Monitor: Eizo 19'' CRT
465watt Enermax
Gainward GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 1600 (nvidia reference board)

Malfunction
08-23-03, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Morrow
Just wanting to help you with your inquire and therefore I attached a small batch file I wrote a while ago to demonstrate the buzzing sound of my GF FX.

Just run .bat file and your GF FX's voltage regulators will start whistling like crazy if your GeForce is affected... (the batch file needs to be run in a window and NOT fullscreen to make the sound).

Anyway, here my info

Monitor: Eizo 19'' CRT
465watt Enermax
Gainward GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 1600 (nvidia reference board)

Yep, That's what I am getting. Sounded like whistling that time. :( Damn, wonder WTF causes it.

Thanks for the tool Marrow.

Peace,

:banghead:

AnteP
08-23-03, 05:01 AM
btw some people have insinuated that the sound comes from the actual 4 pin ATX power connection
not so, I have a 5900 non-Ultra that still has both problems

Gareth
08-23-03, 05:39 AM
I've got a Creative 5900 Ultra running on a 330W Antec TruePower power supply and I've noticed:

- the batch file above does make my card whistle
- I've only ever seen flickering when using the "Test settings" button on the overclocking panel; never in real-life applications
- I have never had any problems using the mouse wheel

On the whole, I must say I'm not really affected - not to the point where it actually bothers me, at least.

(The two links in the top post don't work for me, BTW).

AnteP
08-23-03, 05:44 AM
Fixed the links.

ginfest
08-23-03, 06:05 AM
Flickered: no
Sound when using mousewheel: No
Monitor: CRT-CTX 19"
Powersupply: 350 watt-Enermax 365P-VE
Brand/Type: BFG 5900 (128 MB) retail bought at Best Buy-has "copper" colored twin fan design not the black 1 fan reference design

I have checked and re-checked, the only "flicker" I get is when using the "Auto-detect" clockspeed in the control panel-a quick check of the monitors on-screen display shows the refresh rate going to 60Hz when using the "auto-detect"-normally I run my desktop and games at 1280x960/85Hz-after "auto-detect" I have to go back into the Monitor settings and revert to 85Hz which then stays constant in 2D and 3D(with the help of "Refresh Force")

Mike G

maxbero
08-23-03, 07:10 AM
Flickered: No
Sound when using mousewheel: Yes
Monitor: CRT
Powersupply: 430 watt
Brand/Type: Leadtek 5900 128mb

AnteP
08-23-03, 07:36 AM
btw self explainatory but here goes:
please use the two tools linked in the first post to check for flickering and mouse wheel noise before you reply

5150 Joker
08-23-03, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Malfunction
Wanna hear something funny?

I just noticed I get the scroll buzz too on certain sites that have mainly white backgrounds. :eek:

I don't get the flickering though. I didn't notice it until now. Sounds like hair rubbing up and down the panel of my case. Not loud enough to sound like hard drive reads (I don't think... maybe though), but faint enough to notice if it is quite around you. It is just radiating from the case too only.

Videocard: EVGA FX5200 Ultra
Flicker: No
Monitor: 6 year old KDS 195-e Visual Sensation
PSU: 550watt Antec True Control 550 Watt
UPS: Belkin 800VA UPS

*See sig for more details

Peace,

:)

P.S. Doesn't that just bite ass? lol

*EDIT - Actually... it sounds like it is coming directly from my HD(s) location. WTF, why is scrolling tied to the HD? Is it using the buffer there, cache or pagefile? Something so simple as scrolling... I don't get it. Never noticed it till now because I have a 18" oscillating fan that is on pretty much 24/7.

Malfunction, he said 5900's. :p

HaMaMsY
08-23-03, 09:51 AM
Flickered: Yes
Monitor: CRT (Hansol 19")
Powersupply: 420 watt
Brand/Type: Gainward 5900 128

Phyre
08-23-03, 10:05 AM
Powersupply: Antec TruePower 430
Brand/Type: eVGA 5900 non-ultra

Flickering was barely noticable, but it was there.

Phyre

GravY
08-23-03, 10:23 AM
well I too thought I was safe on the flickering, but alas I ran the program with the white background and I too have this flicker.. and I have already stated in other threads I have a noisy card..

However I would like to state that I do not notice this flicker at any other time and the noise is hardly audible over my case fans.. and so far has run all my games excellent, better than the 9500np->9700 I had, ATI still is not smooth when running game, might have a good fps, but just not smooth..

Monitor: KDS vs-19
350w Sparkle
Albatron 5900pv

FredGSanford
08-23-03, 11:09 AM
flickering: Yes
Sound: Yes (Like a bansshee in heat)
Monitor: 19'' Envision 910, 17'' AcerView 77e, 17'' Pixie
PSU: Antec 600W TC, 350W AOpen, 400W WinTech (really a 370W)
eVGA 5900U

A few days sooner and I could have tried it on 3 other 5900 Boards...

blue-nose
08-23-03, 11:11 AM
Flickering - yes
Sound - no
Monitor - iiyama CRT
PSU - 465w Enermax
Brand - Creative 5900 Ultra

But the flickering seems more noticeable in opengl... can hardly see it in D3D games!!

AnteP
08-23-03, 11:26 AM
So far it doesn't look to good, ginfest seems unaffected.

NKVD
08-23-03, 12:04 PM
Leadtek GF FX 5900

Flickering : NO
Sound : YES

but in regular applications, like IE explorer and other ones whenever I use wheel or manually to scroll I don't have any sound.

I think with such test u will have sound on any card LOL.

FredGSanford
08-23-03, 12:20 PM
No sound on a Geforce2mx PNY or Geforce 3 (can't remember which this was from).

LordSpawn
08-23-03, 12:38 PM
Flickered: yes
Sound when using mousewheel: Yes (Flippin Scarry Sound!)
Powersupply: 431 watt
Brand/Type: MSI 5900 Ultra

ajay()
08-23-03, 03:23 PM
Flickered: no
Monitor: CRT iiyama vm 1451
Powersupply: 500 watt
Brand/Type: Creative 5900 Ultra

AnteP
08-23-03, 03:30 PM
Forgot to throw in the boards I've tested:

Powersupply: 300 watt
Brand/Type: Creative 5900 Ultra, Reference 5900 Ultra, Gainward 5900 256 MB

I have a ABIT 5900 and a Inno3D 5900 too here but I haven't tested them throughly enough, I'll plug 'em in tomorrow to check it out.

macachia
08-23-03, 04:06 PM
Flickered: no? (not sure, but i don't have any in games, so i don't think i have at all)
Sound when using mousewheel: yes
Monitor: HPC Huipo Science (Fujitsu flatron)
Powersupply: qtec 550w and raidmax 350w tested
Brand/Type: Creative 5900 Ultra

TeacherFromHell
08-23-03, 04:16 PM
Flickered: yes
Powersupply: 550w Antec
Brand/Type: eVGA 5900 Ultra

ginfest
08-23-03, 05:52 PM
So far it doesn't look to good, ginfest seems unaffected.

Am I the only one with a BFG? And I wonder if the other brands have the "reference" cooler where mine is the 2-fan type and if that makes a difference? (Not the cooler itself but maybe indicative of a different manufactured card)
Weird sh*t, I know I'd be pissed if I had the problem, I "only" paid $300 but that's still a hefty amount.

Mike G