PDA

View Full Version : Two separate desktops with nView possible?

Hankman
08-23-03, 08:55 AM
Hi,
sorry if this has been asked, I did a quick search but didn't find anything.

I have a ti4200 (with 44.67 dets), and would like to know if it's possible to have 2 separate desktops with my two monitors (different wallpapers, icons, etc...). If it's possible, how to set up this? All I've managed to do is to display the same desktop on the two monitors, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

GlowStick
08-23-03, 02:37 PM
Yes, if you have 2 monitors hooked up to the video card do this.

Right Click on your Desktop and click on Properties.

Click on the settings Tab.

You should have a screen that shows 2 blue boxes, those represent your Monitors.

Check both of the monitors settings. Then Find what monitor is NOT the Primary Monitor.

Next, click on 'Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor.

After you do that, you will gain an extra desktop, but if you want to customize it, i recomend a utility called Ultramon.com.

Hankman
08-23-03, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the response, I did that 'Extend my.....' thingy, and it's pretty neat, but what I really want, is to be able to use them as whole different desktops, with different programs running on both of them (like play a game on other, and with some hotkey move straight to browsing the net on another). Is this possible with the Ulreamon software?
Thanks.

GlowStick
08-23-03, 07:30 PM
Hm, well that is where stuff gets harry. With games, short answer is no. Games require the focus, you cant move your mouse out of the 'game' unless game is Alt-Tabed out.

In some games though, its even more buggy, such as StarCraft and C&C Generals, the mouse dose escape from the screen, and in Generals you cant move to the right unless you disable your second monitor before you start the game (via the control panel).

But lets say, if you want to run a web browser in one monitor, and your E-mail and AIM and other stuff in the other (what i do) that works just fine.

The Baron
08-23-03, 07:38 PM
So basically, you want one computer to have two terminals?

No. WinXP SP2 will add this to WinXP Pro, I believe.

GlowStick
08-23-03, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
So basically, you want one computer to have two terminals?

No. WinXP SP2 will add this to WinXP Pro, I believe. Well if he dose want 2 terminals im not sure how it can be done, but there was some 3rd party software a while ago that did it, but i saw it in a magazine and it was 70$, and for winders 98 eh.

But just for a FYI, you can nativly do that in X-Windows, for a long time heh.

Hankman
08-23-03, 08:46 PM
Guess I need to wait that SP2 then, hehe. :)
Tried Ultramon and found it offered very little over the standard nView capabilities, nice program tho.

GlowStick
08-24-03, 01:17 AM
well, it offers diffrent desktop backgrounds, and special screen savers. and it has the bar on the second window witch is really cool.

Hankman
08-24-03, 01:42 PM
Already uninstalled it, coz it caused too many problems with my games. For now, I'm happy with the nView solution, it even has separate wallpapers for each monitor like the Ultramon. There's a few hickups in games still, so I'm still waiting for the SP2, too bad it's pushed back to 2004.

GlowStick
08-24-03, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Hankman
Already uninstalled it, coz it caused too many problems with my games. For now, I'm happy with the nView solution, it even has separate wallpapers for each monitor like the Ultramon. There's a few hickups in games still, so I'm still waiting for the SP2, too bad it's pushed back to 2004. Cool, i never had a Nvidia card that had dual monitor outs so i dont know what Nview offers. Im sorry we coudlnt find a solution for your needs.

Hankman
08-25-03, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Cool, i never had a Nvidia card that had dual monitor outs so i dont know what Nview offers. Im sorry we coudlnt find a solution for your needs.
Nah, doesn't really matter. I only had an extra monitor lying around here, so I thought hooking it up to my comp would be cool. :p
....and it is. :)
Btw, how's the dual monitor support with 9800?

GlowStick
08-25-03, 05:11 PM
The dual monitor support is very good, though i do not have any ohter dual monitor card to compare it with.

However, one thing that i read effects all cards (accpet matrox aparently) is that sometimes you cannot play videos on your secondary monitor. I have experinced diffrent results with diffrent programs. But they say only Matrox has the right stuff to make it work properly