PDA

View Full Version : Asus motherboard

Hunter32
11-27-11, 05:53 PM
Ok, my power supply failed after 2 plus years. Further inspection I found 2 melted wires at the 24 pin connector. So I was right to assume the power supply failed. Now when I looked at the motherboard the you can see burn marks on the m/b connector. I took out the m/b to inspect the backside for burn marks on the board itself but can not visually see any. So the ? is the m/b still good and has anyone else had this problem and did not have to replace the board.

mullet
11-27-11, 09:14 PM
In most occasions the MB is fine. I would just try a new PSU and give it a go. What PSU were you looking at to get? I had an old Antec PSU do that to me long ago.

Roadhog
11-27-11, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't call a motherboard with burn marks fine. Usually when a 24 pin lets go like that it's due to drawing too much power through it with a poor connection. The poor connection could be from the psu side of the plug or from the mobo side.

I would replace both if it was my hardware.

mullet
11-28-11, 10:48 AM
Well he needs a PSU regardless. Why not clean up the connectors on the MB and give it a try. It's not like he can RMA the board because the PSU smoked. It would be nice to know the specs on all of his components.

Roadhog
11-28-11, 10:57 AM
Well he needs a PSU regardless. Why not clean up the connectors on the MB and give it a try. It's not like he can RMA the board because the PSU smoked. It would be nice to know the specs on all of his components.

Yes... but you don't just melt psu wires without a short at the connector like that. There is a good chance it will do the same thing to a new psu. He should also be able to rma the board without a problem if it is still under warranty.

clitosaurus
11-28-11, 11:26 AM
OP: Don't plug in a new PSU on the motherboard unless you want to chance frying that as well.

frenchy2k1
11-28-11, 02:38 PM
a GOOD PSU should have over current, over voltage and safety triggers. ie: it should turn off if it detects you are pulling too much current through a short. Always risky though...