I_got_a_life
08-23-03, 09:28 PM
Here is my system specs:

A7V266-E
AMD T-BIRD 1.4 @ 1.5
QUANTUM FIREBALL PLUS AS30
WINDOWS 2000 PRO
GF3 TI500

For some odd reason, most of the time when my PC boot up, it cant recognize my hard drive. So I would have to shut the PC down and wait for atleast 3hrs than turn it back on for it to work. Some time I have to wait for a whole day. I'd tried every bios available to my mother board. I'd try clearning the CMOS bunch of time. I even tried reinstalling windows 2000 for couple of times now. But the problem still exsist. My mother board have an on board Promise PDC20265R, which is a SCSI and RAID controller chip. I cant uninstall it because every time the PC work, it would always ask me to install a driver for it. So rite now I have the driver install, but I disable it. I'm also not runnning any Raid at all. I dont think that i need to enable the PDC20265R, because I'm not running RAID or SCSI, just regular ATA100. I even try enabling it and update to the latest driver, but it dint fix the problem.

ALobpreis
08-25-03, 12:06 AM
The problem is in Windows or in the BIOS?
What power supply do you have? Maybe it's not powerful enough for your entire system. When did this problem start?
Try removing other non-critical devices, like other HDs, and slot cards except video and the IDE controller.

BTW, your motherboard (http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7v266-e/overview.htm) has no SCSI controller!!!

I_got_a_life
08-25-03, 01:59 AM
I dont think it's a power issue. I have an Enermax 430W power supply.
This problem starts about 6 months ago, every thing was running fine. But one day, my lil bro was playing some game and the comp froze. So I pressed CRT-ALT-DEL and it dint do anything, so than I pushed the restart button. When the comp boot up, the bios cant find my HD.

newjeans
08-28-03, 10:54 PM
Sounds like your harddrive is pretty much dead, its not exactly dead at this point but very close to it. I had the same problem with my ibm 40gig, sometimes bios wouldn't recognize it but then other times it would, this was cause the hard drive suffers from heat issues and only if i let it cool for a while would it boot up. It seems like your drive is suffering from the same seeing as you have to wait 3 hours giving it enough time to cool down. Try to save as much data as possible at this point, and rma this drive or buy a new one.

digitalwanderer
08-29-03, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by newjeans
Sounds like your harddrive is pretty much dead, its not exactly dead at this point but very close to it. I had the same problem with my ibm 40gig, sometimes bios wouldn't recognize it but then other times it would, this was cause the hard drive suffers from heat issues and only if i let it cool for a while would it boot up. It seems like your drive is suffering from the same seeing as you have to wait 3 hours giving it enough time to cool down. Try to save as much data as possible at this point, and rma this drive or buy a new one.
I had the exact same thing recently with my ex-IBM 40Gb deskstar. Back it up and buy a new one.

Once a hard-drive gets dodgey, it's done. No amount of happy thoughts will change that. (Trust me, I TRIED! :( )