PDA

View Full Version : Finally, something that really showcases the FX

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ugapug
08-24-03, 06:07 AM
Just got the full version of Tron 2.0 -- this game is awesome. If you want to see what the FX is capable of, get this game. It really shows off the capabilities of the hardware. Running at 1280x960, 4xAA/4xAF, all eye candy on, and it runs VERY smooth. And yes, it runs really great on a 5800 too. My buddy got it too (he has my old PNY 5800 Ultra) and it runs just as smooth. Monolith must have programmed this thing with Cg extensions.

ReDeeMeR
08-24-03, 07:53 AM
Is game using any DX9 functions?

Paul
08-24-03, 08:32 AM
Of course, you don't say how it runs on a 9800 ;)

Also, shouldn't a high-end card be able to do those settings in just about ANY game? 4xAA/4xAF at 1280 shouldn't be that much of a struggle.

Rytr
08-24-03, 09:12 AM
I have found BF1942 does very well with those settings. Also, XIII UK demo, Vietnam, NWN, MW, GunMetal, and UT2003 just to name a few.

Malfunction
08-24-03, 12:15 PM
Right on!

I'm gonna have to check it out. I only have the DVD and watch it often...lol. I was reading the article over at X-bit Labs (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/cgfx.html) on CgFX (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/cgfx.html). Pretty darn interesting.

Would you like to hear my conspiracy theory? lol...:D

*I've been tossing around a few angles to see what could be going on possibly. I was thinking one of them could be this. What if Nvidia's poor performance (suggested, not my opion) is due to the effort of making Cg more widely used? I mean if you think about it, no one can figure out why Nvidia is doing so poorly with the design of the FX and drivers. Could it be possible that if ATi was made to look like they kickass in Cg it would be less difficult to push it into use for game developement? I mean, the cloud would be this:

ATi Fan - "Haha... ATi videocards run Nvidia demos better than Nvidia cards can! :p " "Bring on Cg, ATi will still dominate against Nvidia :D "

Nvidia - "Precisely, bring on Cg. Nothing like getting people to follow without even trying... Muhuhahaha! (pimp) "

I dunno... just some theories I have been tossing around as no one can explain what is going on with Nvidia's drivers nor can anyone explain how something with such a high number of transistors can be doing so poorly * in their eyes*.

Yes... I am a bit extreme sometimes, but it makes things a bit more interesting. :D

Peace,

:D

reever2
08-24-03, 12:20 PM
How does Tron showcase the FX? :confused:

Shaitan
08-24-03, 12:30 PM
it showcases some really nice glow effects. lol Wait for STALKER. ;0)

digitalwanderer
08-24-03, 01:22 PM
Isn't nVidia planning to come out with a custom benchmark soon? I think that'll probably do a good job of showing off the FX, if nothing else.

(But if the 9800 Pro beats nVidia's best on their own benchmark I WILL fall off me chair laughing... ;) )

ugapug
08-24-03, 01:54 PM
How does Tron showcase the FX?

It uses Cg hooks... After running it on two systems with Geforce FX 5800/5900s, I ran it on a friend's system with a 9800 Pro. It was faster and the effects were just more, well, "special" on the FX-based systems. Just my experience, your mileage my vary :D

LiquidX
08-24-03, 04:32 PM
I played a little with tron and it does look good, I find it boring though. Want something to showcase your card?! Play Raven Shield maxed out; Sweet!:eek:

Hellbinder
08-24-03, 05:09 PM
Just got the full version of Tron 2.0 -- this game is awesome. If you want to see what the FX is capable of, get this game. It really shows off the capabilities of the hardware. Running at 1280x960, 4xAA/4xAF, all eye candy on, and it runs VERY smooth. And yes, it runs really great on a 5800 too. My buddy got it too (he has my old PNY 5800 Ultra) and it runs just as smooth. Monolith must have programmed this thing with Cg extensions.

You my friend have some rather *low* expectations for a 450$ video card. Tron 2.0 does not even remotely *show off* the FX card. Any 9700pro will run the same game with 4x AA and 16 X AF.

It uses Cg hooks... After running it on two systems with Geforce FX 5800/5900s, I ran it on a friend's system with a 9800 Pro. It was faster and the effects were just more, well, "special" on the FX-based systems. Just my experience, your mileage my vary

My BS detector is going off.. in fact its shaking the roof off my house...
:rolleyes: Something tells me that the only place this event occured is in your head.

For the recored I can Run Tron 2.0 on my 9600pro with 4x AA and 8x AF easily.

Malfunction
08-24-03, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder

:rolleyes: Something tells me that the only place this event occured is in your head.

Hey HB,

How did it run with your FX card in comparison? Oh.... that's right, you don't have an FX card to compare with. ;)

Peace,

:angel:

StealthHawk
08-24-03, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Paul
Also, shouldn't a high-end card be able to do those settings in just about ANY game? 4xAA/4xAF at 1280 shouldn't be that much of a struggle.

Shouldn't a high end card be capable of 8x AF instead of 4x AF.

Ruined
08-24-03, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
You my friend have some rather *low* expectations for a 450$ video card. Tron 2.0 does not even remotely *show off* the FX card. Any 9700pro will run the same game with 4x AA and 16 X AF.

...without the Nvidia-exclusive special effects.

Time to get a new BS detector, as the original poster was correct. Part of the sales literature for Tron 2.0 even states it has Nvidia exclusive visual effects! Also, it makes sense to actually see the title on an Nvidia card before challenging someone's opinion who has seen the game on both.

reever2
08-24-03, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Ruined
...without the Nvidia-exclusive special effects.

What special effects? Anything Nvidia can do with CG can be done with regular opengl and dx, that is, if the developers dont take the time to cater to nvidias special needs and forget the needs of others like some other games i know of (*coughTWIMTBPcough*)

The Baron
08-24-03, 08:41 PM
I'm confused.

NVIDIA-specific features... okay, those are?

Maybe it has an optimized NV codepath that uses heavily tuned Cg or whatever, but I doubt there are HUGE GARGANTUAN EFFECTS missing on non-NV cards.

Or, if there are, they will be enabled on other cards through a community-made hack sometime about.... now.

ugapug
08-24-03, 08:50 PM
Hmm... Hellbinder, my BS detector is going off too. You might be running your 9600 with 4xaa and 8xaf, but I guarantee you your frame rate is a very small fraction of mine. Oh yeah, and did you happen to read the whole post - tested it on two FX based systems (5900 AND a 5800) as well as a 9800 Pro system, so I think my fact based opinion might hold a little more water than your ATI fanboy crap. Schmuck.

P.S. - When you have both an ATI card and an FX, please feel free to run the game and make a screenshot with both systems so I can see those easily hacked Cg features. :rolleyes:

reever2
08-24-03, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by ugapug

P.S. - When you have both an ATI card and an FX, please feel free to run the game and make a screenshot with both systems so I can see those easily hacked Cg features. :rolleyes:

Once again, what features?

The Baron
08-24-03, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by ugapug
Don't make him whip out the ATI Cg compiler that some guy at B3D was using with TR: AoD....

By the way, don't flame HB. Present evidence. That way, everybody's happy, mkay?

DivotMaker
08-24-03, 09:06 PM
It would seem that B3D has a very interesting article regarding how well the ATI products run the latest Tomb Raider game versus FX products, especially with heavy use of PS 2.0. VERY interesting, but not surprising read...

http://www.beyond3d.com/misc/traod_dx9perf/index.php?p=2

The Baron
08-24-03, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by BigBerthaEA
It would seem that B3D has a very interesting article regarding how well the ATI products run the latest Tomb Raider game versus FX products, especially with heavy use of PS 2.0. VERY interesting, but not surprising read...

http://www.beyond3d.com/misc/traod_dx9perf/index.php?p=2
Yup. So, the 9600 Pro board without Cg is faster than a 5900 Ultra using Cg-tuned shaders in a shader-intensive benchmark.

Not surprising at all.

reever2
08-24-03, 09:18 PM
I would wait for the screenshots from the game to get the big picture, i have a feeling were gonna see some funny stuff

StealthHawk
08-24-03, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by reever2
I would wait for the screenshots from the game to get the big picture, i have a feeling were gonna see some funny stuff

Which game are you talking about? Tron2.0 or TB:AoD?

Oh yeah. Guys, please continue any Tomb Raider dicussions here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16979

ugapug
08-24-03, 11:04 PM
You know, when I start a thread and someone comes in and flames me with a little "B.S. detector" crack, as far as I'm concerned, the gloves are off. As far as what features, there are more transparencies, more detail when you get close-up to textures, and the game runs smoother. As far as the 9600 comments, I don't have a 9600, and don't have access to one, so I shouldn't make comments about it... but being uninformed hasn't stopped others, so please, bring on that 9600 and show me how it outruns my 5900 in A GAME. Don't give a crap about benchmarks, just real-world applications. Thanks and glad you're feelin' good. :POKE:

ugapug
08-24-03, 11:07 PM
Just looked at that PS 2.0 test at beyond3d. Granted, the FX cards didn't fare too well in that benchie. But from what I could gather, the 5900 was FOUR TIMES FASTER than the 9600. So, how is it slower? Crazy things called facts.