PDA

View Full Version : WD Raptor Questions

Whet1134
08-25-03, 09:57 AM
I'm looking at getting 2 WD Raptor 10Krpm hard drives and striping them in a SATA Raid-0 setup.

I usually only trust Maxtor when it comes to performance (I know I have a WD 200Gb, but that's cause it's a storage drive and I'm not playing games on it) so I'm a little nervous about getting the Raptor. Also, because they're 10Krpm, I'm worried it's gonna sound like Mickey and Minnie Mouse are doing the nasty in my case when I'm surfin' round the net.

Can anyone tell me how much they love or hate their Raptors... if the Raid-0 SATA setup is that much better or faster than one Raptor drive on SATA... and if the things are noisier than my 7200rpm Maxtor? Thanks

Dazz
08-25-03, 04:50 PM
Oh they are noiser then you Maxtor's!!

ALobpreis
08-25-03, 05:13 PM
And I also guess they get hotter. :eek:
And the Maxtor drives are quite hot already.

NAZCA M12
08-25-03, 07:58 PM
I consider myself the Maxtor HDs to be a bit quicker than the WDs but Raptor is a great drive. As long as you make sure you have good ventilation on your system you will be fine. Regarding noise, i don't think it is a problem. Broadly speaking, the stock cooler of, say a PIV 3GHz is going to be more noisy than any hard disk or any other peripheral. Unless of course you've got an (older) FX graphics card...

PenguinJim
08-28-03, 07:10 AM
Your love of Maxtor leads me to believe that their SATA DiamondMax9s might be the drives for you. I myself am about to pick up a couple for all the fun of the RAID. The clincher for me is the price: although 73gigs should be plenty for me (2 Raptors), I can get 2 120gig Maxtors for significantly less. If you're in the UK, www.savastore.com are doing them for 87 apiece (although for some reason they're not in the SATA category, and they're referred to as Diamond Max. I totally couldn't find them there for weeks!:p).

Envynews got one in a few months ago, and then a couple of weeks later got another one! So you can totally check out single performance:

http://www.envynews.com/index.php?ID=402&page=

And RAID performance:

http://www.envynews.com/index.php?ID=417&page=

I was holding out for the new Western Digital Caviar SATAs, in case they offered a significant performance boost over the Maxtors, but from what I've seen, they don't. Also, they cost a lot more. So it's the Maxtors for me :) now if only I could find a 200gig application to install... :D.

AngelGraves13
08-29-03, 11:28 PM
I have an Asus motherboard and running 2 WD360's in RAID 0, but I think it runs faster when it's just a single drive. My Fastrak 378 (onboard controller) seems to set it at UDMA5 and when it's not connected to the RAID it does UDMA6. So either RAID really sucks because it's slower or my motherboard sucks ass! Either way, UDMA5 is slower than UDMA6!

xtremegamer
09-01-03, 11:18 AM
i cant believe that you are actually thinking that 1 raptor is faster than 2 in a RAID 0. come nack to earth bro...these drives smoke just about anything you can throw at it.you have obviously done something wrong bud cause my raptors freakin fly. im getting anywhere around 170mb/sec (write) and 100mb/sec (read) on ATTO.

one drive gets no more than 60MB write and like 40mb read. you might need to reinstall your RAID drivers and try upgrading to the newest ones 3.5. good luck...

o and by the way...these drives are worth the money. remember..you get what you pay for! ;)

AngelGraves13
09-01-03, 10:26 PM
look pal, I connect it to the fastrak, create the array in RAID 0 (performance). When I restart it's functional and it sets it in UDMA5! What do you want to do, kick the motherboard? I use a test from canopus called stormtest and it says 47 write, 91 read! It won't go any faster. I installed the lates drivers from the asus website for the promise controller. I don't know what you're testing the drives with, but that's as high as it goes on this computer!!!! If you have any better ideas instead of saying I got the drives hooked up wrong, then please...enlighten me! thank you!

The Baron
09-01-03, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by 99 to Life
look pal, I connect it to the fastrak, create the array in RAID 0 (performance). When I restart it's functional and it sets it in UDMA5! What do you want to do, kick the motherboard? I use a test from canopus called stormtest and it says 47 write, 91 read! It won't go any faster. I installed the lates drivers from the asus website for the promise controller. I don't know what you're testing the drives with, but that's as high as it goes on this computer!!!! If you have any better ideas instead of saying I got the drives hooked up wrong, then please...enlighten me! thank you!
You might be hitting the Legendary PCI Bus Bandwidth Limitation of Doom.

AngelGraves13
09-01-03, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
You might be hitting the Legendary PCI Bus Bandwidth Limitation of Doom.

how do I work around this? Oh and by the way, does setting jumpers on the drives increase speed? I have no jumpers on either drive. Also, would truning PCI bus mastering off help? thanks!

The Baron
09-01-03, 10:55 PM
how do I work around this?
You don't. That's why PCI needs to be replaced so much.

AngelGraves13
09-01-03, 11:20 PM
but what exactly does PCI have to do with Serial ATA drives?? And how would you replace PCI?? This is a new motherboard!

saturnotaku
09-02-03, 07:56 AM
but what exactly does PCI have to do with Serial ATA drives?? And how would you replace PCI?? This is a new motherboard!

Because the drives need more bandwidth than the PCI bus can provide. What was happening with video cards back when AGP was introduced is what's happening now with the introduction of devices that require more bandwidth. The only way around this right now is to get a motherboard with a built-in SATA controller.

The Baron
09-02-03, 09:11 AM
What Sat says is sorta true. Many motherboards have SATA controllers on an external chip which, even though it's not a PCI device, operates on the PCI bus, meaning it would be slow just like with a SATA PCI card.

The only real way around it is with one of the higher end Canterwood boards with an Intel SATA controller integrated into the southbridge. nF2 boards should follow suit with integrated SATA sometime within the next four months.

AngelGraves13
09-02-03, 10:50 AM
It's an onboard Promise controller on my Asus P4C800 Deluxe.

saturnotaku
09-02-03, 11:03 AM
You never said the SATA controller was onboard. But Baron is correct when he says that, unless the controller is integrated into the southbridge, it will operate at PCI's 33 MHz frequency. And take a chill pill, dude. :rolleyes:

AngelGraves13
09-02-03, 11:05 AM
look if it was a PCI card I would know and wouldn't ask questions like what PCI has to do with the controller. Is there any reason for my low speed? And what are you using to test the speed??

here's the skinny straight from Anandtech's review!

"As with all 875P/ICH5/R motherboards, there are two Serial ATA connectors located just below the South Bridge. As you know the ICH5 controls these two connectors, and allows a stream of 266MB/s of data instead of the slower, PCI bus constrained 133MB/s. Read through our 875P chipset review to understand the benefits of placing the Serial ATA controller in the South Bridge as compared to a separate PCI Serial ATA controller."

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1814

Riptide
09-02-03, 01:17 PM
Try testing with ATTO. It's excellent, and it's easy to use.