PDA

View Full Version : Graphics or Gameplay?

Pages : [1] 2

Roadhog
12-11-11, 06:18 PM
Which would you rather have in your game?

For me, it is a pretty easy choice that I would rather pay $60 for a game that has great gameplay, than a game that has poor gameplay, but great graphics.

Logical
12-11-11, 06:57 PM
Gameplay all the way.

crainger
12-11-11, 06:59 PM
Gameplay.

Hogrider
12-11-11, 07:10 PM
Strippers named Audrey.

ViN86
12-11-11, 07:30 PM
Strippers named Audrey.

I miss mythy and his bang barn...

bob saget
12-11-11, 07:35 PM
Gameplay all the way for me.

I wouldn't hesitate to pay full price for the next installment of HL even if they use HL2 engine.

mojoman0
12-11-11, 07:38 PM
So to be extreme, all of you that voted for gameplay own a wii correct? Surely Zelda has better gameplay than crysis 2?

six_storm
12-11-11, 08:02 PM
Since I caused this thread, I voted gameplay. If you would've asked me a few years ago, I would've said graphics all the way. Graphics play a small role in the overall quality of a game but it does not make for 95% of the game.

=assassin=
12-11-11, 08:07 PM
Gameplay, but then some advances in graphics can actually help gameplay too!

bob saget
12-11-11, 08:17 PM
Gameplay, but then some advances in graphics can actually help gameplay too!

yep, and appropriate gameplay can help highlight superior graphics.

|MaguS|
12-11-11, 08:20 PM
So to be extreme, all of you that voted for gameplay own a wii correct? Surely Zelda has better gameplay than crysis 2?

Yes it does. That wasn't the best example. While I always prefer gameplay over graphics, there are some limitations. The game cant consist of stick figures and try to create Skyrim. The graphics must assist the gameplay in some form.

Roadhog
12-11-11, 08:28 PM
Yes it does. That wasn't the best example. While I always prefer gameplay over graphics, there are some limitations. The game cant consist of stick figures and try to create Skyrim. The graphics must assist the gameplay in some form.

Well that's kind of a given. You need graphics good enough to get the art style across which falls back to gameplay. Skyrim is a perfect example of that. Nothing state of the art in that, still dx9, but how the environments look just makes the gameplay experience so much better.

Skyrim doesn't need tessellation, dx11, and all that other crap to have great gameplay. :p

Airbrushkid
12-11-11, 09:03 PM
If not for graphic's then spend all this money on video cards?

Roadhog
12-11-11, 09:37 PM
If not for graphic's then spend all this money on video cards?

So you can have good Gameplay and max out the graphics at the same time. Pretty simple concept to understand really.

crainger
12-12-11, 12:54 AM
You can play some tech demos, no one does because they play like ****.

i SPY
12-12-11, 03:37 PM
Add another poll;

*Both

And I'll vote for that. :)

Redeemed
12-12-11, 03:59 PM
I voted gameplay, but truth be told I think both go hand in hand. You can have a game with an incredible story, but if there are poor graphics left and right, and other visual issues like extreme clipping or what not- it ruins the immersion. Kind of like a moving with horrible special effects.

Take Deus Ex: HR for example- the graphics are definitely dated by today's standards yet the game was amazing. The graphics accomplished the atmosphere and environment needed for that game, and didn't take away from the gameplay at all. Quite possibly my second favorite game, right behind the HL series. :)

Greedo
12-12-11, 05:27 PM
both are needed for a great game, but gameplay is most important.

G@merX
12-13-11, 12:45 PM
Everyone wants good graphics. Otherwise no one would own high-end hardware. People saying game play is all that matters still want good graphics.

Personally I think two things.

- Graphics and game play go hand in hand, they compliment each other, they help each other out. It's like reading a good comic book that has good art - you need both.

- Why are we forced to choose one or the other so much? It reminds me of that "PC or console" question always brought up - and the retort is usually "why choose, do both" - well that's my answer to this, why choose, why can't we have both for our $60?

lee63
12-13-11, 12:48 PM
With all the $ I spend on the latest hardware the game better look good.

nekrosoft13
12-13-11, 01:16 PM
I vote both, both are important, and third is immersion.

G@merX
12-13-11, 02:32 PM
third is immersion.

nVision :bleh:

Q
12-13-11, 02:52 PM
I'll take good art direction over technical effects. I'll take bad gameplay if the story is good enough. I'll take a bad story if the gameplay is good enough. I tend not to like games that have great graphics but neither captivating story or gameplay, but I don't mind mediocre graphics if it has the right story and gameplay.

Then we have the issue of graphics that effect the gameplay. I'm referring to improperly implemented whiz-bang effects that cripple the gameplay due to FPS drops during critical periods. I'd rather have those turned off and enjoy a constant frame rate.

DiscipleDOC
12-13-11, 04:15 PM
Add another poll;

*Both

And I'll vote for that. :)

Redeemed
12-13-11, 04:40 PM