PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with a Raptor?

PaiN
12-11-11, 09:49 PM
A friend of mine gave me a new 160gb WD Raptor(nice guy, eh :D). I'm not sure what to do with it. I currently run a pair of WD Blacks in RAID 0 as my main partition with the OS, data and games, back-up to a 1Tb drive and downloads to a USB HD.
I'm not sure if the Raptor would do best as a dedicated OS drive or if I should just plunk it in as space for games?
What would you do with it...?

zoomy942
12-12-11, 02:40 AM
Do you have HD videos? Streaming them off a raptor would be very smooth. Or perhaps setup virtual machines on it for experiments?

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk

PaiN
12-12-11, 06:20 AM
Do you have HD videos? Streaming them off a raptor would be very smooth. Or perhaps setup virtual machines on it for experiments?

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk
I don't watch HD off my PC or do "experiments" I'd need a virtual PC for.
I guess what I'm asking is if this Raptor would be significantly faster serving the OS than the RAID0 is? Would it be worth going through a reinstall and a minor rebuild to get the OS on the Raptor?

Destroy
12-12-11, 10:29 AM
Use it in a retro rig to run older games that prefer/demand older hardware.

ViN86
12-12-11, 10:31 AM
*cough* sell it *cough* :D

I mean, with your current storage situation, the Raptor doesn't really fit anywhere that it would be of good use.

nekrosoft13
12-12-11, 01:41 PM
sell it, raptors are useless now

PaiN
12-12-11, 08:19 PM
sell it, raptors are useless now
I'm not selling it....to you vultures ;)
Why are Raptors useless? I'm not buying an SSD anytime soon, its fast and free so I will find a use for it.
The only thing I need to know(or have at least an educated guess) is if an Enterprise, 32mb cache, 10k rpm Raptor is faster or not slower for the OS than on the RAID 0 with two 7.2k rpm, 16mb cache HDs..? I'd like my OS on a dedicated HD anyway.

Redeemed
12-12-11, 08:39 PM
Why are Raptors useless? I'm not buying an SSD anytime soon, its fast and free so I will find a use for it.
The only thing I need to know(or have at least an educated guess) is if an Enterprise, 32mb cache, 10k rpm Raptor is faster or not slower for the OS than on the RAID 0 with two 7.2k rpm, 16mb cache HDs..? I'd like my OS on a dedicated HD anyway.

I have no idea. So try it and find out. Report back with your results.

GO! :lol:

nekrosoft13
12-12-11, 09:00 PM

that would imply that someone here actually want one. i'm sorry but raptors are useless, they are not much faster then fast 7200rpm drive, and in price/performance SSD kill them

PaiN
12-12-11, 09:58 PM
I have no idea. So try it and find out. Report back with your results.
I'm going too...I've been wanting do a clean install since I rebuilt on the i5, anyway.

and in price/performance SSD kill them
Not in my case it doesn't ...now try and argue with that :box:

Greedo
12-12-11, 10:20 PM
use it to save the funny gifs from the testing forum.

bob saget
12-12-11, 10:23 PM
use it to save the funny gifs from the testing forum.

you need an SSD for those... only losers save them onto raptors. pathetic.

:p

PaiN
12-14-11, 07:11 PM
Mute point now....I had serious comparability issues with this Raptor and my system and could not get it to work properly. I'm back with a fresh Win7 install on my original configuration.

Bman212121
12-14-11, 07:17 PM
that would imply that someone here actually want one. i'm sorry but raptors are useless, they are not much faster then fast 7200rpm drive, and in price/performance SSD kill them

This ^^

I've had a pair of 74GB raptors in RAID 0 and it didn't seem to make any difference over the 320GB seagates I had prior. I could see maybe a 2 second lower boot time but for just about everything else there is no noticable difference. SSDs can be similar some of the time, but there is a huge advantage on the noise front. Raptors can get kind of annoying to listen to.

sillyeagle
12-23-11, 09:49 PM
I use my Raptor as my FSX drive. Originally used it as my OS drive but it's so f-ing loud I couldn't stand it. Just wasn't worth listening to that thing considering the minimal performance difference.

Rakeesh
12-23-11, 10:11 PM
A friend of mine gave me a new 160gb WD Raptor(nice guy, eh :D). I'm not sure what to do with it. I currently run a pair of WD Blacks in RAID 0 as my main partition with the OS, data and games, back-up to a 1Tb drive and downloads to a USB HD.
I'm not sure if the Raptor would do best as a dedicated OS drive or if I should just plunk it in as space for games?
What would you do with it...?

My Caviar Black 2TB is faster, higher capacity, and lower price than even the best raptor.

I don't know which model of Caviar Black you have, but I'd wager to guess that yours sits somewhere in the same league, especially in a raid 0 configuration, which mine is not.

Raptors had their day in the sun, but now they have passed their prime. SSD's have taken their place in that niche. I use a Vertex 3 for application space and the Caviar Black for bulk media.