PDA

View Full Version : New System 2

Bman
08-25-03, 06:18 PM
Shipping my computer back and forth from school is putting a dent in my pocket seeing that it would cost me an equal amount to ship for the next three years from school to home as it would be to just buy a new laptop. I want to get a dell notebook because of their monthly pricing plans.
All I wanna do on this latop is PLAY GAMES. I'd like at least 2.0 GHZ a nice graphics card 4200 ti or above and at least 256 mb of SDRAM The minor extras are quality music sound DVD drive and microsoft word cap. ( standard.. i know)
My budget is under a $1000 or just a little bit above. I know the prices of notebooks have come down recently so it's probably a good time to buy one.
Any ideas?
Thanks

CaptNKILL
08-25-03, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Bman
Shipping my computer back and forth from school is putting a dent in my pocket seeing that it would cost me an equal amount to ship for the next three years from school to home as it would be to just buy a new laptop. I want to get a dell notebook because of their monthly pricing plans.
All I wanna do on this latop is PLAY GAMES. I'd like at least 2.0 GHZ a nice graphics card 4200 ti or above and at least 256 mb of SDRAM The minor extras are quality music sound DVD drive and microsoft word cap. ( standard.. i know)
My budget is under a $1000 or just a little bit above. I know the prices of notebooks have come down recently so it's probably a good time to buy one.
Any ideas?
Thanks
I dont know if you can get anything that powerfull for $1000, but I'll look around. I recently saw something on TechTV about a gamers laptop and it had a 1.8ghz P4, a Moblity Radeon 9000 (probably slower than the mobile 4200) and I think 128Mbs of ram and it was over $2000. It was probably a rip off price, but you really do pay a lot more for a laptop that has a good video card.

CaptNKILL
08-25-03, 07:34 PM
Here is a bench of different mobile graphics cards:
http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1745&p=6

The best deal I can find on a fast gaming laptop is right here:
http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/model_inspn_inspn_8500.htm

If you pick the things you want, its around $2000. I think you might have to throw a bunch of extra cash into this, or get a slower computer :(

EDIT: I just looked at some other dells and they seem to have decent prices. If I were you Id go with the best you can get for $1500. Anything less just wouldnt do for gaming.

saturnotaku
08-25-03, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Bman
Any ideas?
Thanks

Ain't no way you're going to be able to get a laptop with the specs you want for that price. If you want a decent gaming laptop, prepare to spend $2000 at a bare minimum.