PDA

View Full Version : UGH! Visiontek Ti-4200 owners BEWARE

savyj
08-25-03, 11:34 PM
Well...my luck just ran out. After over 10 years of DYI systems with nary a problem I had my first big OUCH tonight.

If you own a Visiontek GeForce 4 Ti-4200 with the blue orb heatsink and are planning to replace the heatsink yourself (like when the fan dies, in my case)...I don't suggest it!!!

They use a VERY VERY VERY strong epoxy on the GPU. I had been running it for several hours (with the fan completely dead), turned off the machine, yanked the VC out and jumped right to work. I stuck some folded up paper down (so as to not damage the little ICs surrounding the CPU and with a large very flat screw driver VERY carefully pryed on the heatsink. I kept moving around the base of the heatsink since it wasn't budging and patience had payed off in this situation before (just did this with my GeForce 3 Ti-200, also a Visiontek). Well, sure enough, my patience paid off and eventually the heat sink popped off!

WITH THE GPU ATTACHED!!! Even with the chip in plain sight, I STILL CAN'T GET IT OFF THE HEATSINK!!!

I shoulda/coulda/woulda sent this into Visiontek had I known that there were "highly-risky-to-remove" heatsinks out there but had never read anything about this being a problem. I figured all heatsinks could be removed if done carefully but I'd be willing to bet less than 50% of these will come off safely. Thanks Visiontek!!! My Visiontek G3-Ti200 HSF came off with little difficulty (also after the fan died) leading me into a false sense of security.

Well, the quality of my Visiontek cards has been good but this has cost me a $200 card (original price) so I hope no ones too surprised when I say that this is the last Visiontek I will ever own (and I WAS eyeballing them for my second 9800Pro). Now I have to go cry...

jAkUp
08-25-03, 11:38 PM
well sorry about your loss there... maybe you can try this:

put it in an antistaic bag, and put that in a frezer safe bag.. stick it in the freezer for a few hours, after that it should be able to snap off with ease.. i dunno if it works.. i have just heard that from numerous places..

saturnotaku
08-25-03, 11:40 PM
That's too bad. It always sucks when companies do stuff like that. :(

I had a Visiontek GeForce3, whose heatsink I replaced with a Blue Orb. The process was totally and completely painless. The heatsink came right off and the mounting holes for the Blue Orb matched up perfectly.

I wonder if all Visiontek GeForce4 cards have this epoxy on them. :confused:

stncttr908
08-25-03, 11:41 PM
No wonder VisionTek moved to ATI cards. They've already pissed off their nvidia owners. My friend's fan started groaning and whirring after a few months at most.

savyj
08-26-03, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by jAkUp
well sorry about your loss there... maybe you can try this:

put it in an antistaic bag, and put that in a frezer safe bag.. stick it in the freezer for a few hours, after that it should be able to snap off with ease.. i dunno if it works.. i have just heard that from numerous places..

Well, like I said...had I had even an inkling that this would have happened I could have tried something else. I figured not much would have changed between the GF3 Ti-200 and the GF4 Ti-4200 as far a mounting adhesives...that's what I get for assuming!

Ok...silly question...should I epoxy this bad boy back on and send it in for RMA??? Not exactly the honest route but I probably wouldn't loose too much sleep over it seeing how I feel Visiontek is at least partly responsible for this mess.

jAkUp
08-26-03, 12:05 AM
yes i would recommend that.. they might get you for physical damage... as a company, they have to assume that nobody knows what they are doing.. hehe

GlowStick
08-26-03, 01:41 AM
definatly make it look like there was no tampeirng, and dont say a word. maybe they will try to get the heatsink off to put a new one on and say "omg look what i did"

Geforce4ti4200
08-26-03, 02:42 AM
why not try to soldier it back on? and leave the heatsink alone, just replace the fan!

GlowStick
08-26-03, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Geforce4ti4200
why not try to soldier it back on? and leave the heatsink alone, just replace the fan! I dont think there is any way he can soder it back on, he will have to use a glue or epoxy.