PDA

View Full Version : New release nVidia Drivers?


Pages : [1] 2

mitchelson
08-26-03, 06:51 AM
I am finally back! Been ages since i was online here...

Been testing a lot of the nVidia drivers to try and kick my 3dmark scores up and found that 44.67 offer the best since the pixel shader optimisations have improved for 3dmark03.

Anyone know when nvidia are planning on a detonator 5.x.x?

digitalwanderer
08-26-03, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by mitchelson
Anyone know when nvidia are planning on a detonator 5.x.x?
Nope, I don't even think nVidia does yet. :(

The Baron
08-26-03, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Nope, I don't even think nVidia does yet. :(
NV38's launch is my guess.

Of course, where NV38 and R360 are is really what I want to know.

digitalwanderer
08-26-03, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
NV38's launch is my guess.
I bet your guess is right, but when is the NV38 coming?

The Baron
08-26-03, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I bet your guess is right, but when is the NV38 coming?
Probably when R360 comes, but R360 will come when NV38 comes.

AIEEEE!

Dragunov
08-26-03, 10:48 AM
Yes I hope they gonna release some performance-drivers soon, cause if i buy the Geforce Fx 5900 Ultra, I need some driver who releases the full pontential of this chip

Dragunov

The Baron
08-26-03, 10:50 AM
Hoping drivers make a product faster is somewhat of a foolish thing to do. NV3x has been around for almost a year, and if they can't get the drivers mature by now, there's almost certainly a hardware problem.

Still wondering about ILDP/ILDP-like tech, though.

Dragunov
08-26-03, 11:00 AM
Nvidia is known to release drivers who don't activate the full potential of the card, look back to the Geforce 3 Ti500, was always weaker than the Radeon with the Detonator 3. With the Detonator 4 the Ti was a lot stronger of the Radeon even with less bandwidth

So drivers can really boost the card

Dragunov

digitalwanderer
08-26-03, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Dragunov
Nvidia is known to release drivers who don't activate the full potential of the card, look back to the Geforce 3 Ti500, was always weaker than the Radeon with the Detonator 3. With the Detonator 4 the Ti was a lot stronger of the Radeon even with less bandwidth

So drivers can really boost the card
True, but I think the Baron was trying to point out that this product cycle of nVidia's ain't quite like all the rest and there is a very good chance that no amount of driver tweaking is going to fix the FX series abysmal DX9 performance.

Buying a card and hoping it'll work just doesn't seem like a very good idea, especially with nVidia's current track record. :(

saturnotaku
08-26-03, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Buying a card and hoping it'll work just doesn't seem like a very good idea, especially with nVidia's current track record. :(

And it's made worse by the fact that ATI is releasing driver updates on a pretty regular basis. While performance boost might not be revolutionary like they were from the 1x.xx to 2x.xx like the Dets were, you can count on small boosts and bug fixes.

Mark_fox
08-26-03, 02:28 PM
5x.xx aren't too far away, nVidia always releases new revision around september don't they?

Detonator XP - September 10 2001
Detonator 40 - August 29th 2002

Its 26th August 2003 now...so...not too far away then if they'll keep to the once a year schedule :D

The Baron
08-26-03, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Mark_fox
5x.xx aren't too far away, nVidia always releases new revision around september don't they?
But both of those were to steal thunder (or attempt to, in the case of the R300 launch) away from the ATI card that just launched (Det XP was R200, Det 40 was R300). I don't see another ATI card around (except for R360), so until that debuts, I don't think we'll see Det50.

StealthHawk
08-26-03, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Dragunov
Nvidia is known to release drivers who don't activate the full potential of the card, look back to the Geforce 3 Ti500, was always weaker than the Radeon with the Detonator 3. With the Detonator 4 the Ti was a lot stronger of the Radeon even with less bandwidth

So drivers can really boost the card

Dragunov

Detonator4 was released along with the GeForceTi lineup, which was ~6months after the original gf3 was released. Add to that the fact that the Detonator4s were the fastest drivers for the gf3 cards(actually, that's not true. 23.11 was the fastest in those systems which it was stable with). The NV30 refresh has already been released. See the difference in timeframe and product launches here?

Dragunov
08-27-03, 04:23 AM
I think they release a new driver in fall

Dragunov

Morrow
08-27-03, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
Hoping drivers make a product faster is somewhat of a foolish thing to do. NV3x has been around for almost a year, and if they can't get the drivers mature by now, there's almost certainly a hardware problem.

Still wondering about ILDP/ILDP-like tech, though.

The main new feature of the 5x.xx will be improved PS2.0 performance. Infact that's the single most important change the drivers will have.

Nvidia has found new ways to improve PS2.0 performance for all nv3x cards and all games. The new register performance optimizations will be including in the 5x.xx and this version will be available when the first real Dx9 game ships... read: HL2 :)

The Baron
08-27-03, 10:38 AM
See, that's crap. That's pure and simple crap. Doubling the NV3x's PS2.0 speed (which is what they would have to do to put them anywhere near ATI's PS speed) through a driver update is simply not possible.

If Det50 REALLY DOES improve it that much and does not do it through shader replacement, I will take a video of me eating a hat.

Mark_fox
08-27-03, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
But both of those were to steal thunder (or attempt to, in the case of the R300 launch) away from the ATI card that just launched (Det XP was R200, Det 40 was R300). I don't see another ATI card around (except for R360), so until that debuts, I don't think we'll see Det50.

All the rumors suggest new ATi cards are coming soon and if you visit warp2search later today there could be a further proof that det's 5x.xx are nearer...depends how you look at "it" though I suppose...hope might be needed...

digitalwanderer
08-27-03, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
See, that's crap. That's pure and simple crap. Doubling the NV3x's PS2.0 speed (which is what they would have to do to put them anywhere near ATI's PS speed) through a driver update is simply not possible.

If Det50 REALLY DOES improve it that much and does not do it through shader replacement, I will take a video of me eating a hat.
Y'know, I'm ALMOST hoping nVidia pulls it off just to see that! :lol:

Originally posted by Mark_fox
All the rumors suggest new ATi cards are coming soon and if you visit warp2search later today there could be a further proof that det's 5x.xx are nearer...depends how you look at "it" though I suppose...hope might be needed...
Hope? Why do we need "hope" that an IHV will live up to something they say?

Oh yeah, it's nVidia we're talking about. :rolleyes: ;)

The Baron
08-27-03, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Y'know, I'm ALMOST hoping nVidia pulls it off just to see that! :lol:
I'd like to see it too because it would completely change my outlook on the NV3x architecture. But, I doubt that we will simply because it's never been done before, and the hardware of NV3x itself suggests that what we're seeing now with regards to its PS speed is its maximum.

volt
09-01-03, 05:05 PM
I'm thinking new drivers will be released on September 30th.

Nutty
09-01-03, 05:30 PM
cor.. just in time for HL2, aint that good timing.. ;)

Also nicely timed for id's surprise.. :cool:

The Baron
09-01-03, 05:42 PM
HOLY ****.

HALF LIFE 2 THIS MONTH.

/me faints.

volt
09-01-03, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
HOLY ****.

HALF LIFE 2 THIS MONTH.

/me faints.

Unfortunately yes :p

Nutty
09-01-03, 05:59 PM
10 quid says it never ships in september.. :D

Syan
09-02-03, 06:13 PM
Dunno what a quid is, but I'm on your side. I'll take Vivendi's word over Valve's about the release date.

Buying a card and hoping it'll work just doesn't seem like a very good idea, especially with nVidia's current track record.

Thats pretty much what we had to go through with the Radeon cards though, so I guess its the new norm.