PDA

View Full Version : So is it the motherboard?

Vash
08-26-03, 11:18 AM
Just got myself a brand new NF7-S 2.0. Pulled my machine apart last night and installed it; everything seemed to go fine until I powered the machine back up. It wouldn't detect the hard drive that I have as my primary slave. Everything is jumpered correctly, and all the connections are secure, but every time I boot up cold, it doesn't detect that hard drive. If I go into the BIOS and use the auto detect HD function, it finds it every time. If do a simple warm reboot, it finds the drive.

I've downloaded the latest BIOS from Abit and I'm hoping that it solves the problem. I'm also going to double check and make sure the drive is detected in other systems (I'm 99.9% sure it's fine), and then try a different power connector and see if that makes a difference.

Any alternate ideas?

B&R
08-26-03, 11:21 AM
May be it is the hard drive??;)

Dazz
08-26-03, 11:43 AM
Try a diffrent IDE cable also.

CaptNKILL
08-26-03, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
Try a diffrent IDE cable also.
yeah Ive heard a lot about bad IDE cables being shipped with new mobos lately... kinda wierd, but its a good thing to check.

Also, if nothing works with that hard drive on IDE, try it on SATA. Make sure to download the newest SATA drivers and put them on a disk tho. I really advise that you try everything you can to get IDE working tho, SATA isnt as reliable yet.

Vash
08-26-03, 02:05 PM
Yup, already tried a different cable, but with the same results (forgot to post it first time around).

It's not the drive! I don't have the money for it to be the drive! ;)

Also, another interesting bit - if I switch the drives (from Western Digital = Master, Seagate = slave to WD = slave, Seagate = master), the Western Digital still shows up, but the Seagate doesn't. If the Seagate is placed as the only drive on the channel, then it comes up every time as well, ditto for the WD.

That makes me think it's the motherboard, and I'm hoping that the BIOS flash will take care of the problem.

saturnotaku
08-26-03, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
Also, if nothing works with that hard drive on IDE, try it on SATA. Make sure to download the newest SATA drivers and put them on a disk tho. I really advise that you try everything you can to get IDE working tho, SATA isnt as reliable yet.

I've found the new SATA drivers cause some big-time data corrpution, especially when transferring data off of a CD (on the normal IDE channel). I'm sticking with the previous version, which are running my 2 WD drives with nary a problem.

Vash, you might want to stick one of the drives on the SATA channel. The NF7 comes with an SATA -> parallel ATA adapter. If you want the drivers, I can pull them off my floppy, zip and e-mail 'em to 'ya.

But try the latest BIOS before you do that. ;)

Vash
08-26-03, 08:02 PM
Me = retarded.

After RTFM'ing the mobo manual, I discovered what was going on - the NF7 series lets you set the IDE delay for detecting IDE devices; by default this is set to 0 seconds. Not a problem for one drive, a problem for the other, apparently. I set it to 3 seconds and now both drives are detected the first time and every time.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

saturnotaku
08-27-03, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Vash
Me = retarded.

After RTFM'ing the mobo manual, I discovered what was going on - the NF7 series lets you set the IDE delay for detecting IDE devices; by default this is set to 0 seconds. Not a problem for one drive, a problem for the other, apparently. I set it to 3 seconds and now both drives are detected the first time and every time.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Hehe, I have mine set to 1 second personally. I know my HDs can handle 0, but I enjoy the added security.

Glad to see you got it fixed. Now get thineself a Barton or Thoroughbred-B and overclock that sucker!

Vash
08-27-03, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I'm going to set it to 1 today after work and see if it still works.

Come Friday, I'm gonna have the $$ for my GB of Corsair TwinX...then the Barton a few weeks after that...

Muahahahaha! :D