PDA

View Full Version : Best Glide wrapper?

Princey
08-26-03, 02:33 PM
Whats the best glide wrapper for a GeForce FX 5200? I want to play games like Carmageddon in its 3dFX DOS mode and Unreal in windows?

sebazve
08-26-03, 03:25 PM
AFAIK XGL200 is the best wrapper although its real old...

Theres also OpenGlide which is still being work on..

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openglide/

one more thing what was the glide version of those games?

If it is version 3 then you should use this one...it also comes with support of glide 2

http://come.to/3dgx

saturnotaku
08-26-03, 03:32 PM
I've tried many a glide wrapper with both NVIDIA and ATI cards and have not been able to get Carmageddon to successfully run. The only way I figure to get working is to get an old PII machine, a Voodoo3 and Windows 98.

And for Unreal, you can use its Direct3D renderer. Or I found an OpenGL renderer which works absolutely beautifully. I was able to run OpenGL for Unreal Gold at 1280x1024 with 2x anisotropic filtering at an average of about 75 fps. This is on a Pentium 4 laptop with a GeForce4 440 Go. If it runs that well on aging hardware, imagine how well it will run on an FX5200. Go to www.oldunreal.com for more information about the Unreal OpenGL renderer.

StealthHawk
08-26-03, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
And for Unreal, you can use its Direct3D renderer. Or I found an OpenGL renderer which works absolutely beautifully. I was able to run OpenGL for Unreal Gold at 1280x1024 with 2x anisotropic filtering at an average of about 75 fps. This is on a Pentium 4 laptop with a GeForce4 440 Go. If it runs that well on aging hardware, imagine how well it will run on an FX5200. Go to www.oldunreal.com for more information about the Unreal OpenGL renderer.

Speaking of the original Unreal, NVIDIA's drivers took a nosedive for me. Every driver later than 23.11 that I tried with my gf3 would randomly chop up while playing the original Unreal! Especially with Detail Textures on.

saturnotaku
08-26-03, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Speaking of the original Unreal, NVIDIA's drivers took a nosedive for me. Every driver later than 23.11 that I tried with my gf3 would randomly chop up while playing the original Unreal! Especially with Detail Textures on.

Weird. Works perfectly fine for me, been using the 45.23 drivers on my 440 Go.

ragejg
08-26-03, 05:49 PM
heh, and I used 44.03's on a GF2MX200PCI/Celly566 combo... no *el-choppo* to speak of... (in UT, f00Lz! ;) )

mario64
08-26-03, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Princey
Whats the best glide wrapper for a GeForce FX 5200? I want to play games like Carmageddon in its 3dFX DOS mode and Unreal in windows?
I've tried them all and without question, zeckensack's glide wrapper is the best there is. It is literally like having a voodoo card in your system and is FAST! It works with both Radeon and Geforce series cards and is routinely updated. Do yourself a favor and try it. You won't be dissappointed.

Here are some details from the readme:

Passes all tests from the Glide SDK.
Full texture memory simulation. No tricks. Whatever bogus a game may decide to write to texture memory, this will work exactly like 'the real thing'. Writing multiple textures at once and other nasty stuff.
High performance paletted texture emulation.
Fully general chroma keying/alpha testing/blending emulation. Yes, that means all combinations.
Full emulation of all possible texture/color/alpha combiners (50000ish possible combinations), using pixel shading hardware.
Full support for NCC 'compressed' textures. Kinda hard to figure this out :-)
It runs mini-GL games like Quake 2. That wasn't easy ...
Did I already mention that it also works in conjunction with WickedGL? Quake 3, yay!
Nice LFB emulation (almost there, almost there ...)
Fast pixel format converters (pure MMX assembly)
Vertex converters in x86/x87, 3DNow! and SSE flavors (again, assembly)
Spiffy table fog emulation per vertex
Full support for gu3df file loading
Gamma correction

http://home.t-online.de/home/zsack/glide_wrapper/index.html

Let me know what you think.

Mario64

ChrisRay
08-26-03, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk

Thats strange. I never had an issue with UT, Cept I would always freeze when I tried to escape out of it.

Makes me wonder. How Unreal Tournament performs on the r300. As I have never tried it.

StealthHawk
08-26-03, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
Thats strange. I never had an issue with UT, Cept I would always freeze when I tried to escape out of it.

Makes me wonder. How Unreal Tournament performs on the r300. As I have never tried it.

I never had an issue with Unreal Tournament either. Just the original Unreal. I don't know if the 4x.xx drivers were out then. The 30 series definitely had the framerate problems, as did the higher numbered 20 series. Oh well, I probably won't ever play Unreal again, it's not that fun. Unreal is very dated today, the charm of Unreal was it's great big open environments, its attention to detail, and its graphics. All of which have been surpassed, leaving a rather dry single player game. So ni big deal :D