PDA

View Full Version : Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kain
08-26-03, 04:11 PM
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=712

DivotMaker
08-26-03, 06:03 PM
Hmmmm, just got a set of Logitech Z-680 5.1's for my birthday this month. I replaced Klipsch 4.1's and these Logitech's are INCREDIBLE. Klipsch will have to go some to beat these...

CaptNKILL
08-26-03, 06:27 PM
Then theirs CaptNKILL with his old home theater system from 1995.

A Kenwood Dolby Pro-Logic reciever. It has surround sound, but the rear channels are combined.. there is just left, center, right and "surround" :lol:

My speakers are JENSEN. They sound ok I guess, but i had to splice my sub into my center channel because the speakers arent set up the same way as the reciever :lol:

Oh I almost forgot! My rear speakers sounded crappy, so I stole the ones off of my Phillips\Magnavox stereo... now I have 2 big funny looking rear speakers :rofl

Oh well... it sounds better than my old 31 watt Labtec speaker system and its much more convenient (center, bass, volume, mic, speaker mode... all on the reciever). Plus, it was free. My brother gave it to me when I got a new Sony entertainment system :)

Kain
08-27-03, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by BigBerthaEA
Hmmmm, just got a set of Logitech Z-680 5.1's for my birthday this month. I replaced Klipsch 4.1's and these Logitech's are INCREDIBLE. Klipsch will have to go some to beat these... The Klipsch highs and bass are more refined than Logitech's.

fastguy94416
08-27-03, 11:39 PM
Ya know, I have regretted buying these creative fps2000 speakers for about 3 years. I'm probably gonna regret buying them for another 3. Soo, what were you planning on doing with that old set of 4.1 klipshes?

Sazar
08-28-03, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Kain
The Klipsch highs and bass are more refined than Logitech's.

so the lows and treble are better regined on the logitech ?

:D

Kain
08-28-03, 02:47 AM
With Logitech, you don't have tweeters, thus the highs will not be as good as Klipsch's. Secondly, the Logitechs have slightly more bass, but the bass is boomy and not good for music. The Klipsch's bass is clean.

UDawg
08-31-03, 02:21 AM
The problem with Klipsch has always been their tweets. Hey are too blasted loud. I am talking about Klipsch pc speakers and component speakers. They sound too tinty. I am not saying that Klipsh sux, I own the 2.0s and like them but there are better speakers for the price.

Sazar
08-31-03, 04:53 AM
creative megaworks info ?

I have never used nor heard those baby's... but lotsa reviews say they are good...

shed some light... anyone ?

DivotMaker
08-31-03, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by fastguy94416
Ya know, I have regretted buying these creative fps2000 speakers for about 3 years. I'm probably gonna regret buying them for another 3. Soo, what were you planning on doing with that old set of 4.1 klipshes?

They are on my kids computer, but if you are interested, they can be had for a reasonable price. They are about 18 months old and still work great. PM me if you are interested and make an offer if you are serious...

DivotMaker
08-31-03, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Kain
With Logitech, you don't have tweeters, thus the highs will not be as good as Klipsch's. Secondly, the Logitechs have slightly more bass, but the bass is boomy and not good for music. The Klipsch's bass is clean.

Maybe you are more of a music buff than I am but I can tell you that I am VERY impressed with these speakers from Logitech. For gaming (that is what I use them for), they are better than the Klipsch's I just replaced.

The Baron
08-31-03, 10:29 AM
/me just uses Sennheiser HD570 headphones (or maybe HD600s if my brother decides to go insane and figures out some way to upgrade from that...)

Sean P.
08-31-03, 12:07 PM
I really like the Z-680's I have, but there is a low hiss when the units are powered on...I believe Logitech has since fixed this issue (within the control module) though I have been too busy to RMA the system. Overall, I think the new Klipsch Ultras are going to be king of the hill...so many refinements...

:super:

Nutty
08-31-03, 01:15 PM
Is there any version numbering to know which Z680's have the fixed module?

I fancy getting some of them, they sound perfect for nforce2 dolby encoded output.

I'm currently using some 2.1 Nicole wooden speakers and bass. Got them ages ago, still sound quite nice.

DivotMaker
08-31-03, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
Is there any version numbering to know which Z680's have the fixed module?

I fancy getting some of them, they sound perfect for nforce2 dolby encoded output.

I just got mine 8/13 at Best Buy and there is not the slightest hint of hiss whatsoever.

UDawg
08-31-03, 07:07 PM
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/4838/4838965_ra.jpg
$399.99

http://www.klipsch.com/images/productmedia/large/ultra51_info_large.jpg
$399

My biggest beef with Klipsch is their horn tweeters. I prefer dome tweeters my self. They give a softer less tingie sound to them. That being said I still think the Klipsch are a better speaker set but the price puts me off from buying them.

BTW I have seen both the systems at lower prices.

Nutty
09-01-03, 07:39 AM
My main usage for these, would be hopefully dolby decoding from my nforce2 board when I get it..

I'm wondering weather I should skip these gaming speakers, and just buy a Sony home cinema reciever and speaker setup.. Similar costs and probably better..

what do ppl think? Funtionality wise the same as those Z680's, but will the fact they're geared more towards films mean they're better?

The Baron
09-01-03, 11:35 AM
what do ppl think? Funtionality wise the same as those Z680's, but will the fact they're geared more towards films mean they're better?
That's actually what I've always done with computer speakers--throw em out, get a receiver and home theater speakers of some sort. Generally, yeah, it sounds better, plus if you actually get a decent receiver, you can always upgrade the speakers.

DivotMaker
09-01-03, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Nutty

The Z-680's blow my home theater system out of the water and my home theater rig is no slouch, however it is a few years older. To each his own, but it is no longer difficult to find outstanding speaker systems for PC's any longer...

ReDeeMeR
09-02-03, 02:08 PM
Same here man, these logitech's are brilliant, especialy for gaming and high quality music or DVD's, the bass get's boomy if the sound quality is bad, due to high power.

For gaming it blows everything away, action games(battlefield1942), strategy(warcraft3) whatever, if you're a music purist, you might want to ghet profesional equipment anyway because you wont be listening to mp3's ;)

But you can turn the bass down any time so it will be same like klipch, ie quiet and detailed.

And it has remote controll plus dolby decoder and is thx sertified :)

Kain
09-02-03, 02:26 PM
Turning the bass down will not increase bass quality.

ReDeeMeR
09-02-03, 10:19 PM
The bass quality is same as klipch, it's just more powerfull so you have to turn it low when listenin to ****ty mp3's.

LTech221
09-03-03, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Sazar
creative megaworks info ?

I have never used nor heard those baby's... but lotsa reviews say they are good...

shed some light... anyone ?

Another great set of speakers. the 510, 550, 650's are all good sets. To me they are better for music than the klipsch and logitech, but would fall to either for music or games. They tend to give a more laidback neutral sound than the klipsch or logitechs. The sub can go low and is nicely defined, but won't beat the Promedia 5.1 sub. I know it sounds better to me than any logitech sub (which are all to boomy for me). I prefer more tight accurate bass of the Promedia 5.1 or Megaworks. Their price is also a bit +, newegg has them for $216, (550's) Ive seen em go as low as $160 after a big rebate by some other company, but to bad that ain't still going on.

Rogozhin
09-04-03, 02:12 AM
There is no comparison to a dedicated home theatre system (even with the Klipsh) for running DVDs and GAMES-period (Klipsh does sell real speakers though besides their computer speakers).

For about $1500 you can pick up a mid range audiophile grade home theatre setup (using a decent sound card in your computer as the decoder-I use the 7.1 Fortissimo3).

Here is my system

Front channels-SoundDynamics 300TI loudspeakers- 34hz-22Khz-Driven by a NAD 314 integrated amp.
Rear channels-SoundDynamics SS-1b monitors-driven by a NAD 902 AMP.
Center channel-SoundDynamics CS500center-driven by a NAD 304 integrated amp
Subwoofer-12" SHiva Passive Radiator in homebuilt 5th order bandpass enclosure tuned to 18hz driven by a NAD 208THX bridged to mono.

Using TaraLabs directional goldplated speaker cable for the mains-taralabs 10guage hometheatre speaker cable for the rears and monster cable subwoofer hometheatre speaker cable for the sub. All have monstercable gold banna lugs for connections. Instead of cheap little minijack to rca adapters I picked up 4 sets of the heavy guage monster cable minijacke/rca cables to run from the soundcard to the amps. All the amps have their mainout/mainin steel uplugs taken out and replaced with handmade audioadvisor .5meter interconnects. All the speaker connects within the enclosures have been soldered using real silver solder, and all the amps are plugged into a dedicated TaraLabs PowerLine Conditioner.

The amps are on a Salamander Cherry isolated 5 platform rack and the speakers are on sand filled metal with powdercoating adjustable speaker stands-standdesign, adjusted so the tweaters are at exactly 36" (the hight of the listening chairs.

The sub sits on stainless cone feet for isolation.

So the FR of this system is from 18hz to 22khz with a THD of less than .05, a signal/noise ratio average of 94Db, and IHF Dynamic Headroom at 8ohms combined is 1560Watts with softclipping enabled. The amps alone weigh 60lbs combined. When you watch DVDs like the ones I mentioned the amount of air moved in the room (use the stereophileguide to hometheatre excel program to calculate setup variables) makes it so you aren't able to breath on deep audio parts.

http://www.nadelectronics.com/

The specs alone are about 4 grades higher than a Klipsh 6.1 setup and this is only a 5.1.

THe main problem I see with the Klipsh when compared to this system is the THD of the Klipsh 1-3%-very bad, a class DorC amp is not efficient and produces variable waveforms that result in distortion when driven hard. The amps I'm running are class A/B with an average THD of .04 and built in features that limit distorion at Peak Power Draws while delievering 4x the amount of power that the crappy little BASH amp provides.

Subwoofer Specs

Shiva features:

- 650W power rating
- Dual 8 ohm voice coils
- 15.4mm linear magnetic excursion, one way (over 1.2" peak to peak, linear!)
- 22.3mm linear suspension travel, one way (over 1.75" peak to peak)
- 26mm maximum one-way excursion (over 2" peak to peak)
- Recommended enclosures start at 26 liters - less than 1 cubic foot
- Suited for sealed, vented, bandpass, and PR based systems

Shiva is the ultimate subwoofer. I've measured the SPL using a Radio shack SPL meter and I was able to push 122SPL, this means that your hair moves and your neighbors think there is an earthquake. If you want deep bass with massive SPL capability, Shiva is your answer. In the realm of deep bass performance, there really is no replacement for displacement.

When I have to play or watch with headphones I have set of GRADO SR-120s ran by a CREEK Headphone amp. I also have a nice Pioneer PL-A35 Turntable with a GRado MM phono cartridge ran off the NAD 314 which has a great built in phono stage.

URL http://www.adireaudio.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AA001&Product_Code=S12

Rogo

Kain
09-04-03, 05:24 AM
I have got real Klipsch home theater speakers.