PDA

View Full Version : Abit NF7-S Questions

emotionstation
08-26-03, 04:05 PM
Does anybody know if this board supports the 400mhz FSB XP's?

I ordered this one:

http://www.partspc.com/store/product3282.html

And just today, some guy from the company says that it's the OEM model, and if I pay 15 dollars more, I get the cables, software, and "the latest BIOS update".

I emailed him back, about whether or not the product I ORDERED (the one in the link above) supported the 400mhz FSB Athlon XP's, as it was advertised. He hasn't replied yet.

So I guess I'm curious, can you upgrade the bios of a non rev 2.0 NF7-S, to an NF7-S that supports 400mhz FSB XP's? If I can't, I'm just going to send the board back.

The Baron
08-26-03, 04:07 PM
Yes, there is a BIOS update that adds 400Mhz FSB support.

RobHague
08-26-03, 04:09 PM
Well im looking at that link and it says..

Supports AMD-K7 Duron™/Athlon™/Athlon™ XP Socket A with 200/266/333/400MHz FSB Processors

So i assume its a rev 2.0 from that as thats the only board im aware of with the new stepping (Ultra 400). You cant upgrade a Rev 1.x to a 2.0 with a BIOS update incidentally.

RobHague
08-26-03, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Yes, there is a BIOS update that adds 400Mhz FSB support.

Really? Didnt know that - i assume that some of the 1.x boards may have had the updated steppings in advance so what revision is that for?

The Baron
08-26-03, 04:20 PM
It's for all the 1.x boards.

RobHague
08-26-03, 04:29 PM
Hmmm i didnt think all the 1.x boards had the Ultra 400 stepping? I mean i assumed thats what the Rev 2.0 was for lol. Oh well :)

emotionstation
08-26-03, 06:13 PM
If all NF7-S boards supported 400mhz FSB, then why would Abit's product description (http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=6) say this:

The NF7-S, based on nForce2 chipset (MCP-T + SPP), supports the latest AMD Athlon XP processors with 200/266/333/400 FSB, (400 FSB support in version 2.0 only) and features new dual 400MHz DDR memory controllers that deliver up to a 50% increase in bandwidth.

?

RobHague
08-26-03, 06:15 PM
Yeah this is what i thought too. :confused: I assumed that the board he bought was the Rev 2.0 - I mean i doubt there are many older Rev's around now anyways.

emotionstation
08-26-03, 06:18 PM
Well I bought the board from a website, not an actual distributor (i.e. Computer Store/Warehouse, etc.).

But the product description DID say it supported 400mhz FSB Athlon XP's. So if they DO send me one that doesn't support them, because I didn't pay for their "$15 dollar BIOS Update", then I'll tell them I want the correct board or my money back.

RobHague
08-26-03, 06:19 PM
As you should :) and you would have every right too as well.

emotionstation
08-26-03, 06:26 PM
I just finished a "Live Chat" with one of the employees from the website where I purchased the board.

You are now chatting with 'Hardik'
you: Hello?
Hardik: hi
Hardik: How may I help you ?
you: I placed an order yesterday for a motherboard, and I was curious about something. I had someone from your company phone me today, asking if I wanted to pay an extra $15 for the retail packaging, and latest BIOS update.
you: The motherboard was this:
you: http://www.partspc.com/store/product3282.html
you: My question is, is this board going to support 400mhz FSB Athlon XP's, like the description says.
you: Or only if I paid the extra $15 dollars?
you: There are two models for this board, a 1.x revision, and a 2.x revision. The 2.x revision supports the 400mhz FSB Athlon XP's, and is the one I thought I had ordered. I just want to make sure that is the one that I'm getting.
Hardik: Yes it is 400 FSB
Hardik: and it is Rev. 2
you: Okay. So it is the 2.0 Revision of the board?
you: Okay.
you: Thanks for your help.
Hardik: and for that you would not have to pay anything extra

:)

RobHague
08-26-03, 06:28 PM
Hehe there you go then :D your all set.

emotionstation
08-26-03, 06:33 PM
It sucks that I wont be getting the Serillel Adapter / Serial ATA cable / Drivers Disc / IDE Cables / Floppy Cable / Box.

OEM sucks :(

CaptNKILL
08-26-03, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by emotionstation
It sucks that I wont be getting the Serillel Adapter / Serial ATA cable / Drivers Disc / IDE Cables / Floppy Cable / Box.

OEM sucks :(
I havent seen an OEM motherboard in years. Thats WIERD :)

RobHague
08-26-03, 07:40 PM
/Slightly off-topic (but only 'slightly')/

Just noticed in your sig CaptNKILL that you have "Abit NF7-S 2.0 = 2 dead". Out of curiosity i just wondered how they managed to die on you?? Did you know what caused it etc??

:)

Also emotionstation i would have personally just paid the extra $15 because im not 100% sure on this but if it is OEM then Abit may refuse to uphold the warrenty if it goes bad. A bit like AMD do with their OEM CPU's. :(

The Baron
08-26-03, 08:54 PM
Just noticed in your sig CaptNKILL that you have "Abit NF7-S 2.0 = 2 dead". Out of curiosity i just wondered how they managed to die on you?? Did you know what caused it etc??
DOA, both times.

CaptNKILL
08-26-03, 10:14 PM
Thanks Baron :p

The first one worked ok for 2 months then died, the RMA was DOA :mad:

See the whole ordeal here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16443

Hopefully I'll get my new oneby this weekend (they give you FREE 2\3 day shipping BOTH ways when you return an RMA)... and Im PRAYING that I get my Antec True Power 430W PSU by then too (just ordered it today... please Fed Ex... PLEASE!!!).

BTW, I wont be hanging around at the forums until 5AM any more.. school starts tomorrow. 11 PM is probably the latest I'll be online on weekdays. :cry:

The Baron
08-26-03, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
BTW, I wont be hanging around at the forums until 5AM any more.. school starts tomorrow. 11 PM is probably the latest I'll be online on weekdays. :cry:
Heh. I was going to go to sleep at midnight last night, and then at 11:54 I find out that my ISP has mysteriously started blocking ICMP packets and also managed to prevent SWG from working last night (although it mysteriously started working again).

So, I was up for a while contemplating hate mail. :p

Im0n©
09-04-03, 03:11 PM
I bought this bord and a Xp 2800+ cpu for a fried of mine. And they arent getting along at all, is this a no go. Or can something be done.

Nothing is working for him, comp is just shutting down, no oc just standard settings, sata raid is disabled sound is on lan is on usb disabled, memory at default, i checked Abits page and they say that they have tried the board with a 2700+ but not 2800+, is that the problem the board wont support it.

Please help me with this thx.

Nutty
09-04-03, 03:44 PM
The way I understand it is, all 1.X boards _should_ hit 200Mhz FSB, but the 2.0 boards are guaranteed to do it.

sxotty
09-09-03, 11:50 AM
Yes, my 1.2 board hits 200 fsb easy, but not stable at higher fsbs really, the 2.x boards are stable at higher than 200fxb, like at 215 and so on.