PDA

View Full Version : I got my 5600 128MB today...

SeriousWorm
08-26-03, 04:12 PM
... and while it certainly rocks over my old mx440, I have a "slight" problem, which seems to be a driver problem.

First of all, I have a Geforce FX 5600 non ultra 128MB gfx card, with 45.23 manufacturer-made drivers (they seem to be the same as the nVidia ones though unlike my old MSI ones). I am running Win XP Home SP1 with all the latest patches, and DirectX 9.0.

The problem is that whenever I do one of those things:

- right click on the nVidia Media Center icon;
- change any option from the NVMC right click menu (I mean ANY);
- open Advanced Display Properties

... my screen goes black and then it goes normal again, ie it "flickers" once. During that short ~2 sec "flicker" the monitor doesn't turn off or anything though. However it's rather irritating since if I want to change my settings from 2x AA/4x AF to Quincunx AA/8x AF I have to go trough at least 4 flickers.

What do I do? :confused:

BTW the card doesn't flicker under any games/nvidia fx demos and the fan is so quiet that I can barely hear it :)

[EDIT] Also I don't get the flicker when changing AA/AF/etc from the actual driver panel.

CaptNKILL
08-26-03, 04:25 PM
Wierd, usually that only happens when changing clock speeds or changing resolution\refresh rate.

I cant help you with this one.

:confused: :confused:

SeriousWorm
08-27-03, 05:22 PM
Nobody has any idea? :(

Maybe I should deinstall the manufacturer drivers and install nvidia ones.

Ruined
08-27-03, 05:25 PM
Sounds like you have an old monitor that isnt DDC 2.0 compliant.

GlowStick
08-27-03, 06:56 PM
Im assumeing that when you are changeing AA and AF settings you are useing DirectX?

Its a dumb directX thing, for me, it acts like its changeing resolutions.

Try changeing the AA and/or AF for OpenGL, it shoudlnt do anything since its properly done.

SeriousWorm
08-28-03, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Im assumeing that when you are changeing AA and AF settings you are useing DirectX?

Its a dumb directX thing, for me, it acts like its changeing resolutions.

Try changeing the AA and/or AF for OpenGL, it shoudlnt do anything since its properly done.

Akhem.. I'm changing the settings using the nVidia Media Center icon. WTF are you talking about? :confused:

Also I have a Belinea 10 30 10 monitor which is 3.5 years old. It works fine ...

particleman
08-28-03, 04:18 PM
I find the flickers annoying too, though I personally disable the media center icon. The media center icon is just too annoying, you accidentially click on the wrong icon and your screen flickers. If you want to avoid the flickers when changing settings try rivatuner for flicker free changes, it's much more versatile and you can change a lot more settings too.

SeriousWorm
08-28-03, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by particleman
I find the flickers annoying too, though I personally disable the media center icon. The media center icon is just too annoying, you accidentially click on the wrong icon and your screen flickers. If you want to avoid the flickers when changing settings try rivatuner for flicker free changes, it's much more versatile and you can change a lot more settings too.

Ok i'll try that. Thanks!

jjjayb
08-29-03, 01:19 PM
ATI cards do that also when you change DirectX settings.

SeriousWorm
08-29-03, 05:51 PM
Tried the latest rivatuner... it has no settings i'm interested in except AA and AF. However i'm looking for some replacement to the nvidia media center icon so i can change AA/AF (and gamma from presets I can define) without having to go trough 10+ menus.

And I really don't care for the zillion AA options; I find 2x AA good for both Morrowind and ET (Morrowind is already blurry enough so I don't want to blur it more and ET is an online game so I want max fps); on my 17" monitor, on 800x600 2x AA is pretty much enough.