View Full Version : NOISE PROBLEM with P4 3.00 GHZ FAN..Please help

Pages : [1] 2

Sotos
08-27-03, 07:12 AM
Hi

I just installed a p4 3.00GHz proccessor etc etc

But the fan sounds loud Why??

I have already used a thermal paste syring that was inside the INTEL box

I have already checked it out and i have installed it right and generaly is working fine

BUT WHY THE P4 FAN is so noise????

Please help :(

NAZCA M12
08-27-03, 08:28 AM
Ohou brother, it's so loud because it's meant to be that loud. The stock coolers from Intel are pretty noisy. I assume that you've checked it through the BIOS or through Windows (with the aid of Motherboard Monitor for example) that it gets well over 4,000rpm. I thought those things were reaching 4,500rpm max, until i caught mine rotating at 5400+. It shouldn't be an issue. I've got the 3.06 on one of mines and it used to be loud, once i used some noise reduction material it's very quiet now.

EciDemon
08-27-03, 08:43 AM
Well, All the new fast cpus get very very hot. Active cooling isnt new, Its been around ever since 486 cpus (even earlier perhaps) those fans were tiny but enugh. Now days things get alot more hot thus cpus now days needs bigger fans. When I bought my computer upgrade got a boxed Amd xp 2400+. It camed with an amd heatsink+fan, but i didnt hear too good things about it. So I bought another one, even bigger (80mm Volcano9) Its quite loud but there is a RPM controll on it. So there is a tradeoff, Good cooling=sounds like my vaccum cleaner tries to take off into space.

So if you also got a boxed cpu (cpu+fan) then you might want to consider changing the cpu fan. Unfortunatly I dont know anything about intel p4 boxed fans. There are specially made quiet fans but they still sound. They are in general more expencive then your average cpu fan, but this is not something you want to be cheap about I think. As todays fast cpus requier a good active cooling. Keep in mind that the very silenced fans dosent offer the best cooling again its a tradeoff.

As for your system today with its current fan, there isnt very much you can do... Not unless you are willing to buy some aditional things for your computer.

Ive seen some noise absorbing materials you can put in your case, but I dont know how efficient that is. Personally I cant justify the price just to test to see if it would help me. I got a very loud sounding computer. 4x80mm fans and a chipset fan.
Anyone got any experience by these noice absorbing matereals to put in the cases ?

Sotos
08-27-03, 12:06 PM
Come on guys are you sure??

These is extremely loud and some times it goes EVEN LOUDER after some time passes from when i start my machine

The processor works ok in windows etc but the sound of the P4 FAN is LIKE HELL

I am even afraid of playing GAMES now because i am afraid that it will EXPLODE...

So much sound does not sound right...Anyone has a P4 3.0C to tell me if the big loudness is Natural...

When i upgraded from 2 GHZ to P4 3.0C It wrote (my bios) a Message in first about OVERCLOCKING :confused:..I have never Overclocked

I Changed my bios settings to Default....It fixed but the Sound is still AWFUL and some times it sounds like a plane engine SO LOOOOUUUDDD :(

Anyone with a P4 3.0C please tell me...

And by the way is any good P4 FAN exists like from ZALMAN example that i have seen here in GREECE...It will be sufficient to cool my P4 3.0C ??? :(

I have changed back to my old P4 2.0Ghz now(man it is so much more silent)

Dazz
08-27-03, 04:26 PM
Did you post this at Warp2search?

Try getting this HSF http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnps7000alcu.htm

NAZCA M12
08-27-03, 05:02 PM
OK, OK. First of all, you have to give us a couple of facts in order to tell you whether it's natural or not. What sort of temperatures does the thing has? Did you see them through the BIOS? Alternatively, did you check them from within Windows? How stable/changeable are they? I'll sort of give you a yardstick from my rigs. I've got a 3,2GHz CPU on my main PC and a 3,06GHz on my second (well, second my ass really) one. I'll give you an example with the 3,06GHz which is paired with a SIS655 based m/b. Usually the thing starts at 3,4GHz (no O/C), at 28/30 Celsious (idle) and approximately 3,500rpm (no kidding). I've been able to push it no more than 50 degrees after using games like Mafia for example, or Unreal II, or utilities like AZPR (Advanced Zip Password Recovery). Of course under full load, you should expect it to be louder. Like i said earlier, i once caught it speeding at over 5,400rpm (i even took a screenshot of MBM).

You've got to bear in mind that normally, it's not the cooler's noise that disturbs you, but the fact that it keeps adjusting it's speed constantly (depending on the load of the CPU). Also, you didn't mention how good the tower you're using is. Does it have any additional fans? Don't forget that (i pressume that you're running it with a closed cover) if the cooler keeps working at say, 5,000rpm most of the time, that means that you've got insufficient cooling inside the case. The easier you make the cooler's life, the less it's gonna break your balls. Personally, i think an Antec AMG660 (or something like that anyway, sounds like a ****ing Mercedes) is a good choice. I got one of those, then i covered the inside with a good absorbing material from AKASA, and that was it (and by the way, yes those materials do work well, at least in my occasion). Also, the case had two additional coolers on the inside for better heat dissipation, i alligned better their positions and changed them with ones fitted with thermal control sensors on them. As long as you take care of the inside of the case you shouldn't be disturbed by the CPU fan. Note that if you use sound absorbing material, you're going to increase the system's temperature by about 2 or 3 degrees C.

One more thing that you should be sure about is how loud is your PSU? Lots of people upgrade their pc's without giving a toss 'bout their PSU. A good quality PSU is going to be significantly quiter than a crappy one. I'm using an Antec 550W and i saw a huge difference in terms of overall loudness compared to the previous one.

Regarding alternative solutions to a good HSF, you should be very careful. I remember myself buying a very good one from GlobalWin, ideal for P4 3,06, ideal for overclocking and all that, it turned out to be a great cooler, but overall not a better solution than the stock Intel one. It could only reach about half the speed of the normal one. The effectiveness of a cooler is basically dependent on how much airflow it can provide to the HSF (and it can be compromised by the max rpm it can reach as well) amongst other parameters. Lot's of these so called "ideal" for overcloking HSF's, or "extremely silent" solutions have other problems. For example a mojority of them are way over the 500gr maximum weight limit that Intel dictates a HSF should be, in order not to pressurize and potentially damage the CPU. From my experience, most people don't take a look at the weight of a HSF. If you are to change the stock cooler, be very careful on your choice.

Finally, some good on-line stores with interesting coolers and noise absorbing materials can be found at www.ram-shop.gr, www.hacshop.gr, and you can also check www.checkmate.gr, mate...

Dazz
08-27-03, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by NAZCA M12
OK, OK. First of all, you have to give us a couple of facts in order to tell you whether it's natural or not. What sort of temperatures does the thing has? Did you see them through the BIOS? Alternatively, did you check them from within Windows? How stable/changeable are they? I'll sort of give you a yardstick from my rigs. I've got a 3,2GHz CPU on my main PC and a 3,06GHz on my second (well, second my ass really) one. I'll give you an example with the 3,06GHz which is paired with a SIS655 based m/b. Usually the thing starts at 3,4GHz (no O/C), at 28/30 Celsious (idle) and approximately 3,500rpm (no kidding). Sounds like the BIOS is missreading the temp, i've noticed that with alot of manufatures, so report higher then normal, some report lower then normal. Some times they may fix this some times they don't bother.

NAZCA M12
08-27-03, 07:05 PM
Yes that's happened quite often. Initially i thought the same thing until i checked the temps in my secondary PC and found them to be true. It has to be down to effective cooling on the inside of the case plus careful allignment of the wiring, etc. All these "details" put together really help. As for the 3.45GHz that my rig usually starts, it's true as well, and here the explanation is quite simple. Contrary to what i've read on a lot of sites about the MSI 655 Max FISR (and the majority of other motherboards) that their CPU voltage is usually a tad below the normal, mine gives a bit higher. Same goes for the 2.6V for the memory which in reality was a bit higher than it should (according to my tests). What it basically does is slightly overclock the CPU giving you stock voltages, hence the higher performance. Regarding the temps, i've heard that usually a BIOS update will fix them. I saw no change on my board with the AMI 3.1 version.

Sotos
08-28-03, 04:44 AM
I am now again using the P4 3.00C

And here is what i got

It Stop Responding and when i Reboot
A MESSAGE APPEARED saying CPU OVERCLOCKED FAILED while i was in BIOS POSTS i get into the Bios and i load Bios Default again

I HAVE NEVER OVERCLOCKED BY THE WAY :confused:

I am now with my MIDI case OPEN and i am using The PC (THe sound is UGLY and sometimes it goes even worse)

Here is my Monitor Thermal specs from bios with open MIDI CASE

CPU TEMP 39.5C\103 F

MB TEMP 40C

CPU FAN SPEED was set maxed somewhere to 5000 Rpm

CHASSIS FAN SPEED 1835 RP

WHEN i tried to close my Midi case the Cpu fan speed reached somewhere to 5800 rpm and was sound like going to explode

I am using a ASUS p4p800 Deluxe as i said before
Is the mobo or the Cpu Fan the problem
:confused:

What i do ???? :confused: :(
Give some advice please....:(

I gave so much money for these proccessor and i can not work it right...

(Update to 1009 Bios version i will test again soon)

Sotos
08-28-03, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
Did you post this at Warp2search?

Try getting this HSF http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnps7000alcu.htm

Yep :D I am a little desperate

Man these model is not in Greece

I Found the 7000CU (not Alcu)

It says Max Specs <<<P4 3.06 and above>>>

I have a P4 3.0C (800FSB) will it be a problem with that ???

gmontem
08-28-03, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Sotos
CPU FAN SPEED was set maxed somewhere to 5000 Rpm

CHASSIS FAN SPEED 1835 RP

WHEN i tried to close my Midi case the Cpu fan speed reached somewhere to 5800 rpm and was sound like going to explode

Among other things, the fans become noisier as they rotate faster. If you want something quieter you will have to use a slower fan. One option would be to undervolt your fan at the expense of less airflow. Another option would be to get a larger fan running at lower rpms. Larger fans at slower speeds can generate the same amount of airflow as smaller fans rotating at faster rpms.

I take it you're using a 60mm fan. What you can do is replace that 60mm fan with a 60-80mm fan adapter and an 80mm fan, like a Panaflo "L1A". This should be fine for your needs considering you're not overclocking, I think.

Dazz
08-28-03, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Sotos
Yep :D I am a little desperate

Man these model is not in Greece

I Found the 7000CU (not Alcu)

It says Max Specs <<<P4 3.06 and above>>>

I have a P4 3.0C (800FSB) will it be a problem with that ???
Nope if anything, better as your CPU is 66MHz slower and is a higher revision chip which may run slightly cooler :)

Normal mode runs only at 25DBa, vs the Intel fan at 39DBa (Every 10DBa = 2x loud)

Sotos
08-28-03, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by gmontem
Among other things, the fans become noisier as they rotate faster. If you want something quieter you will have to use a slower fan. One option would be to undervolt your fan at the expense of less airflow. Another option would be to get a larger fan running at lower rpms. Larger fans at slower speeds can generate the same amount of airflow as smaller fans rotating at faster rpms.

I take it you're using a 60mm fan. What you can do is replace that 60mm fan with a 60-80mm fan adapter and an 80mm fan, like a Panaflo "L1A". This should be fine for your needs considering you're not overclocking, I think.

Sorry man but about modifying fans etc i am not good at all

plus In Greece is difficult to find these things that are you talking about

Well I am using the P4 3.00C original FAN and i am suspicious that my BIOS (1004 version ) had to do with these kind of behavior of the P4 3.00C Fan (I am using my old p4 2.0GHZ for now )

I have noticed when i installed the P4 3.00C a message appeared saying <<<OVERCLOCK FAILED enter BIOS setup>>>

What overclock??? :confused: I have not ever Overclocked with my current MOBO etc

Anyway I have upgraded to ASUS Bios 1009 version
I will test again my P4 3.00C to see if it is running better (the fan)

Do you think if i return back my P4 3.00C to the store that i bought it will they replace it???

Any reccomendation of a good CPU cooler that is sufficient enough for a P4 3.00C (They all say 3.06 fsb 533)???

is a Zalman 7000CU or IGLOO 4000 Diamond good for a P4 3.0C or not???

Sotos
08-28-03, 03:57 PM
Nope if anything, better as your CPU is 66MHz slower and is a higher revision chip which may run slightly cooler :)

I used the default P4 3.00C FAN (from the box you know)

BUT my pentium 3.00C is FSB800

While the Pentium 3.06 is FSB 533

Are you sure DAZZ???
I heard that P4 3.0C FSB 800 is little faster from the P4 3.06 FSB 533???

How can you be sure???

I am a rookie with FANS as you notice :) I just want to be 100% that (zalman 7000CU) it is compatible with my P4 3.0C (FSB 800)

I do not want to explode to my face or damage something ;)

I have give a lot of money as you have noticed from my specs i do not want to go <<down the DRAIN>>

Dazz
08-28-03, 06:52 PM
It's faster due to it's higher FSB 800MHz 6.4GB bandwith Vs the 533MHz 4.2GB. This creates a nice boost in performance but doesn't create anymore heat for the CPU :)

Sotos
08-29-03, 01:35 AM
It's faster due to it's higher FSB 800MHz 6.4GB bandwith Vs the 533MHz 4.2GB. This creates a nice boost in performance but doesn't create anymore heat for the CPU :)

Dazz
08-29-03, 12:13 PM
No problem :)

Sotos
08-29-03, 01:29 PM
No problem :)

Dazz

Basicaly as i saw the Zalman 7000CU has a HUGE fan :eek:

I have a midi case and the distance between the PSU and the CPU socket is small..I do not know if these FAN feets

Anyway i will go to the Store that i saw it saling and see it near how big it is

THey are saling some IGLOO type FANS (4000 DIAMOND) there which have almost the same specs (they are so not SILENT) but are a lot more smaller from the Zalman...

If you can tell me what do you think about the IGLOOS???

Note:
Anyway i gave back my P4 3.00C to the stores technical department that i bought it and they said me that they tested it and it works OK and basicaly INTEL does not replace CPU's especially here in GREECE even if i had the need to replace it...

*edit
EXAMPLE OF AN IGLOO FAN
http://www.glacialtech.com/pdf/Diamond%204000.pdf

Is these good enough for my P4 3.0C (It has a much smaller fun from the ZALMAN 7000CU and i am sure that it will FEET in my CASE)..Unfortunately i have not find many Kinds of COOLERS here in Greece

Dazz
08-29-03, 06:26 PM
Yeah it will work but damn a 60mm fan that provides hardly any airflow at all.

Sotos
08-30-03, 04:10 AM
Yeah it will work but damn a 60mm fan that provides hardly any airflow at all.

you have right about the airflow especially now that i have a (not so big) MIDI case

But if the Zalman does not fit i have no choice i guess :(
(it seems to have a huge fan and not reccomended for Midi-Mini cases i guess it is constructed based in Full MIDI towers)

Anyway i do not need to be FULL SILENT and not like the P4 3.00c fan that reached 5400 5800RPM in fan speed and was sound like a PLANE...

Anyway i am sure that something wrong has these P4 model that i bought... these kind of fan speed are not reasonable if it is not a Motherboard problem...But i am using a p4 2.00GHZ now and works FINE)

I want a FAN to make a reasonable sound and work STABLE with the P4 3.00C that's all (and fits in a Midi case of course)

Do you have a better suggestion???

Dazz
08-30-03, 04:50 AM
You might want to look into this http://www.thermaltake.com/products/spark/spark7plus.htm should be a decent performer, an medium settings or maybe even low?

Read this review of it http://www.hardware-pacers.com/pages.php?pid=227&catType=r

Sotos
08-30-03, 09:58 AM
You might want to look into this http://www.thermaltake.com/products/spark/spark7plus.htm should be a decent performer, an medium settings or maybe even low?

Read this review of it http://www.hardware-pacers.com/pages.php?pid=227&catType=r

YES that seems GREAT :D

But as i had said it is difficult to find many Cooler models except ZALMAN and IGLOO here in Greece

Anyway i will search it and i hope i find it or else probably i am going to buy an Igloo or something

Thanks

SteveL
08-31-03, 08:20 PM
Sotos,

The stock HSF on my P4 3.0C was also loud as hell, I replaced it with (the slighly expensive) one in my sig.

Now I can't hear it at all !! :dance:

EciDemon
09-01-03, 06:00 AM
eeek, No wonder your computer is loud if the cpu fan runns above 5000 rpm.

A good thing about thermaltake fans is that some modles (all?) comes with rpm controlls. either manual or automatic, or even both. In my case I got both so I installed the manual one. My Volcano 9 (80mm fan) runns at about 3200 rpm, With that setting the cpu fan dosent make much noice ... Its a different story at 5200 rpm ... hehe ... man thats loud.
But you would have to look at another cooling solution for your cpu. Like the one sugested by Dazz

Canīt you order a heatsink+fan online ? sureley there must be some online computer shoping place in greece ?

Sotos
09-02-03, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by EciDemon
eeek, No wonder your computer is loud if the cpu fan runns above 5000 rpm.

A good thing about thermaltake fans is that some modles (all?) comes with rpm controlls. either manual or automatic, or even both. In my case I got both so I installed the manual one. My Volcano 9 (80mm fan) runns at about 3200 rpm, With that setting the cpu fan dosent make much noice ... Its a different story at 5200 rpm ... hehe ... man thats loud.
But you would have to look at another cooling solution for your cpu. Like the one sugested by Dazz

Canīt you order a heatsink+fan online ? sureley there must be some online computer shoping place in greece ?

I already bought a Zalman 5700D CU and guess what...

It make my Processors Pins BENT :mad: :mad:

That THING had a very different method of installing from the P4 fan....It was pushing like hell the cpu\socket when i was trying to install..that damage it

THAT STUPID THING even make the CPU SOCKET to get loose a little from the pressure :mad: :mad:
plus the AIRFLOW didn't fit in my CASE
Zalman didn't even thought about it to say <<recommended for FULL TOWER CASE>>

I have a lot of nerves right now with these matter i will see what i can do

:(

I guess if i had listen to you...maybe now i would be ok :( what can i say right now??

I am really desperate now...i guess will buy again a CPU when i have the money