PDA

View Full Version : wow, low fsb...

Matthius
08-27-03, 08:43 AM
hey ah, about a few days ago, that crazy 2400xp vs 2.6 thread was closed, and i needed to ask one more thing, yet i am a bit of a noob, and im pretty sure i know the answer to this question, but im askin anyway.

my 2400xp's fsb is at 266 i think :eek: if i put it to 333, or the next one up, is it gonna make my cpu all unstable n stuff? or just oc it enuf to be...faster? (sorry about this question, it almost doesn't make sense:rolleyes: )

EciDemon
08-27-03, 09:05 AM
Well you need to lower the multiplier so it all still adds up to ~2ghz as that is the speed of xp2400+ But then, the xp2400 is ment to be used with a 266 fsb

But you would need pc2700 memory
Pc 2100=266mhz
Pc2700=333mhz

So in short, dont do that.

When OCing, you just set the fsb alittle higher, like 270mhz. One thing to remember is that when you raise the speeds like that it affect everything, ram speed, bus speed for pci slots, agp etc. So every thing in your computer must be able to handle this, else the computer will reboot, or lockup.

On my mobo the multiplier is fixed so I cant oc very much.

In theory its very easy to OC.

The Baron
08-27-03, 10:20 AM
A. Previous poster's comments were wrong.

B. You can go KRAZY with the FSB. Technically, the FSB runs at 133 for you right now (DDR makes it act as if it were 266, but in the BIOS, it SHOULD be called 133). Since you have PC2700 RAM, you could set your RAM to their recommended timings (2.5-3-3-7 or what have you) and then bump up the FSB to 150, and if that works, bump it up to 166. Run the Prime95 stress test and Memtest86 both times to make sure your CPU and RAM are stable.

The (multiplier)*(FSB) doesn't have to equal anything in particular. There are specific timings that ship with the CPU, but every CPU can hit different amounts. I got my Barton 2500+ (normally 11x166, which equals 1.83Ghz) up to 11x200 (2.2Ghz) without any problem whatsoever. I probably could have gone higher--maybe to 210x11.5 (2.31Ghz), but I haven't overclocked since I got my RMA NF7-S 2.0.

Basically, if you're going to overclock, there are two concerns--stability and cooling. Check cooling with temp probes/BIOS reports, and check stability with Prime95 and Memtest.

Now, what do you do if Prime95 and Memtest fail? Two options:

1. throttle back the processor slightly until you find a setting where it completes both successfully

2. increase either the vcore or vdimm voltages. HOWEVER, while the vcore and vdimm voltages may allow you to get higher OCs, you have to be careful. it's very easy to burn out a processor if you don't have adequate cooling and set the vcore too high. this is where the whole tradeoff bit comes in--you can get a much higher OC if you increase the vcore (and to a lesser extent, the vdimm, but that's more of a solution if Prime95 works but Memtest fails), but you also increase heat by a good bit.

Just takes playing around. It's different for everyone.

Dazz
08-27-03, 11:04 AM
Might want to try the wire trick also :)

The Baron
08-27-03, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
Might want to try the wire trick also :)

are you mad? you're suggesting that an overclocking beginner try the wire trick?

Dazz
08-27-03, 11:54 AM
Well it's the only way he going to get a higher FSB without clocking the chip to high.

15x133.33MHz = 2GHz (Default) 15x166.66MHz = 2.5GHz (way overclocked)

ReDeeMeR
08-27-03, 12:01 PM
Yeah I'd suggest you just mess with bios FSB settings, no technical crap that kills your warranty, it's not worth it for jusr couple more mhz.

Malfunction
08-27-03, 12:11 PM
I really liked this one myself:

http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/amd_unlock/

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=182376

Peace,

:D

Matthius
08-28-03, 08:08 AM
ah, i didn't ask how to oc at all, i already know how to do that, and i have, but i was just wondering if theres anything i have to watch out for. and now i know not to put a pin under my cpu cause it will go real fast n stuff :p . but anyway, i have a volcano 11+ fan in it, so its all good with the cooling. i dont wanna oc too much (2.5 is freakin crazy man!). oh and thanks for posting this stuff, i learnt a little more about the voltage stuff.

thanks fellas

Dazz
08-28-03, 11:51 AM
The pin trick will help you unlock all your multiplires so you can increase the FSB clock without overclocking the CPU too much :)

Matthius
08-29-03, 02:56 AM
really? wow. how the hell do people come up with ideas like this? well, i guess that the people who figure it out are electritians n stuff like that..:D

EciDemon
09-01-03, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
A. Previous poster's comments were wrong.

Humm, are you sure about that. Its true what you say about the fsp and ddr. But if you raise your fsb from 133 to what ever then speeds of other things will go up too like memory and bus speeds.

If I raise the fsb on my mobo then the speeds of ram, bus and agp also go up. But that might just be my mobo, its not suposed to be oc friendly (multiplier is locked) ?

Matthius
09-02-03, 02:24 AM
well, anyway, im a happy little vegemite, and i've overclocked successfully, its stable, fixed all the crap in my bios, and now its running like a charm. thanks for the help

Greg
09-02-03, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by EciDemon
Humm, are you sure about that. Its true what you say about the fsp and ddr. But if you raise your fsb from 133 to what ever then speeds of other things will go up too like memory and bus speeds.

If I raise the fsb on my mobo then the speeds of ram, bus and agp also go up. But that might just be my mobo, its not suposed to be oc friendly (multiplier is locked) ?

Maybe The Baron needed to qualify that the new motherboards, like the nForce2 allow completely independant speed setting on FSB, RAM, AGP and PCI, so you can safely play with the FSB and not scew your HDD or such. Certainly in past times the other clocks were relative to the main bus as a divider or multiplier effect and running your LAN and IDE, for example, at >40mhz often caused instability. I notice some new motherboards allow independant setting, but still tie them together, so you may need to set them in ratio to preserve stability of another part.

The Baron
09-02-03, 10:44 PM
Whoops. Yeah. nF2 boards have a PCI and AGP bus lock, as do (I believe) KT600 boards. But then again, why would you not be using an nF2 on an Athlon?

ragejg
09-02-03, 10:45 PM
cuz some folks like high PCI/AGP speeds!! :p

The Baron
09-02-03, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
cuz some folks like high PCI/AGP speeds!! :p
You mean how some folks like Adam Sandler movies? ;)

ragejg
09-02-03, 11:00 PM
meh... yes...

:D

matthius: Glad to hear you've succesfully OC'ed. I'm not gonna have a mobo with PCI/AGP locks for some time... I do what Ecidemon fears... OC the crap outta my kt266a... yeh, it's safer to do with an NF2... :)

Dazz
09-03-03, 05:25 AM
A high AGP/PCI an't good i have killled my hard drive 3 times due to running my PCI at 42MHz.

Matthius
09-06-03, 03:39 AM
my boards not an nforce 2 :nutkick: